WTF is Christmas by todays standards?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2012, 12:05 PM
WTF is Christmas by todays standards?
Ive been pondering on this today at work.

Obv we know that Christmas is based upon the birth of Jesus and it is meant to be a celebration of that. However nobody I know actually celebrates Christmas for that reason. Jesus doesnt even come into the equasion in day to day life never mind Christmas day.

Im sure its the same in other peoples countries than it is in the UK but I see Christmas as people spending money, sometimes getting into debt, occasionaly getting very very stressed out over it. Arrangements are made on the day to meet with family, some loved ones and some you cant stand and to eat dinner and exchange gifts... with some being nice with thought behind them and some being quite useless. There is a bit of unusual (than the norm) indulgence of both food and drink.

Seeing as nearly all of us dont believe in god then is it not in some ways hipocritical that we celebrate the holiday? I know we give our own meanings with some saying family and being with loved ones.... but does society really need a made up day and some sort of reminder to love/care for one another?

I think this can be extended to other holidays. They all have meanings and reason behind them but we are normally celebrating having the day off work more than we actually celebrate why we are having the day off.

I think it would be a good stand if atheists declared there own holidays. Yeah maybe you would never get legal backing/recognition/rights and everything that goes with it straight away but I just think it is logical that we say no... we are not celebrating (insert religious/public holiday) because we dont believe in it. We have our own holidays for our own reasons with significance we give ourselves.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-12-2012, 12:18 PM
RE: WTF is Christmas by todays standards?
For me, I don't sweat it. It's just a fun time to celebrate life and people. I don't see that it has to be about anything more than that. Although, I'm more troubled by the consumerism than anything religious. The Christians themselves whine that it's no longer a true religious holiday, which is fine, because they stole the from the pagans to begin with.

In America, we celebrate Independence Day, but in spite of a bit of flag waving, few people make it about Patriotism as much as a day off from work to BBQ, get sunburned and blow shit up. We have Halloween, which was originally another pagan holiday stolen by the Christians and now has shifted back to an areligious celebration. Thanksgiving Day used to be a Christian holiday, but now days, other than offering grace at the beginning of the meal, I think few people make it a religious day. Instead it's about over-eating, watching football, and getting ready to shop for Christmas. Easter...who really even celebrates this day religiously? At best, I look forward to eating a chocolate bunny. Even as a Christian, it wasn't much more than a special day to get more butts in the pews and hope they'll come back again before Christmas.

So for me, I see little need to start a new holiday for atheists. The religious stuff has already run it's course and is already being supplanted by secularity. And so what if some of the symbols remain in it's wake? The manger scene means just as much to me as a Christmas Tree and Santa. None of them hold any meaning except as nice decorations.

My own issue with holidays is the obligation I feel to spend time with people (family), that I would probably otherwise not spend time with. But this year I just tried to enjoy the lights and colors and food and tried not to be too grumpy with family. For the most part it worked, and I'm just glad I have another year to recover before doing it again!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
26-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Firstly Christmas traditions are almost all stolen.
Second, if there was a biblical jesus, fucker wasn't born in December.
Third, I don't celebrate jesus, I celebrate presentree.
Fourthly, it only qualifies as hypocritical if I believe in God.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
26-12-2012, 12:55 PM
(26-12-2012 12:26 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Fourthly, it only qualifies as hypocritical if I believe in God.
I agree but what are we celebrating.. its just the buying of presents and wtf is that all about... yet our present day happens to be on the same day as the religion we dont believe in, people still put stars/angels on their trees even if they dont think about what it means.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
26-12-2012, 01:02 PM
(26-12-2012 12:55 PM)bemore Wrote:  ... people still put stars/angels on their trees even if they dont think about what it means.
Not I...I put Batman on the top of my tree. Big Grin
Frankly, I do see my celebration on the same day as Christians as being in the same vein as the Early Church. They found elements of pagan celebrations and syncretized them with their own meaning. Pagans were already celebrating 12/25, so why not declare it a Christian Holiday since everyone is already used to celebrating something on that day? Makes sense. In much the same way, everyone is already celebrating December 25, so if you want to do the same, go for it and change the symbols to mean what you want, instead of what was originally intended by the Catholic Church? One of two things will probably happen. Either it will become completely secular and materialistic (it's mostly there anyway), or it will simply lose it's meaning and appeal over time and become a day on the calendar like Remembrance Day...it's listed on the calendar, some people may even get it off, but for the most part, it's ignored.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
26-12-2012, 01:04 PM
It is just an excuse to have some fun. Most holidays are just that nowadays... Halloween is a good example.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
26-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Personally this year I didn't celebrate shit.
But normally I would celebrate giving gifts and spending time with actual loved ones. You know the more joyful aspects of the season. Relishing good memories and all that jazz.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
26-12-2012, 01:26 PM
(26-12-2012 01:24 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Personally this year I didn't celebrate shit.
You better pray Mr. Hankey doesn't find this out.
[Image: mr-hankey-howdy-ho.jpg]

~Izel
26-12-2012, 01:40 PM
It's just a custom, and it has changed a lot over time. It likely will be different again in a century or so.

I see it as the same as for instance the Oktoberfest. Most people can't tell you at all why it is a week long celebration and excuse to get royally drunk.

Or birthdays. The moms should get honored on birthdays, not the kids lol. The moms are the ones who gave birth.

So it's just a customary celebration. Most people like it. Nothing wrong with that.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Oh my Gwynnies! Hasn't there been enough bullshit Christmas threads for one fucking season? Angry

Tongue

Big Grin

And what's this we shit? I ain't celebrating nothing. 'Cept my Gwynnies, which I do everyday...

And then there's... Big Grin atheist Big Grin holy Big Grin days. Big Grin Man, you need to get the fuck off the eggnog.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post