WTF is a "Gnostic" Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2013, 04:29 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2013 04:34 PM by IndianAtheist.)
WTF is a "Gnostic" Atheist
Seriously who made this faux term ? are there atheists who "Claim" anything ?

According to this picture [Image: IYBCY13.jpg]

I've never met an atheist who claims to "Know" anything in fact.. who is making the claim again ??

Atheists don't claim anything they just disregard anything which isn't supported with a good theory or evidence

Is is Disregarding something preposterous equivalent to claiming something ?

Again i also don't think "Agnostic theist" makes any sense either.. theism by definition is a belief in something whereas being an agnostic is a skeptical stance.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2013, 04:39 PM
RE: WTF is a "Gnostic" Atheist
First of all, you're stupid.

Second of all, I put my foot up your ass, you'll be "gnostic." Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
05-12-2013, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2013 04:59 PM by IndianAtheist.)
(05-12-2013 04:39 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  First of all, you're stupid.
[Image: diagnosis-butthurt-3-250x253.jpg]
Aww someone's on the rag Rolleyes
[+] 3 users Like IndianAtheist's post
05-12-2013, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2013 05:22 PM by kim.)
Theist and atheist assume equality for the purposes of communication.

A theist might view all observable evidence to be the resulting activity of a deity; it doesn't mean there IS a deity, it is just that no other explanation has been observed by the theist. Conversely, when no evidence of a deity persists, the default position would be atheist; it does not mean there ISN'T a deity, it is just that one has not been observed by the atheist. Both can proceed to discussion from an equal distance with degree of "belief" and/or "unbelief" to be the object of persuasion. There is room for doubt and so, room for discussion.
There is no certainty, only uncertainty.

A gnostic theist would profess to know without doubt, the existence of a deity. A gnostic atheist would likewise profess to know without doubt, there is no deity.
To profess knowledge with such certainty leaves no room for doubt and no room for discussion.
There is no uncertainty, only certainty.

Note the difference in the following sentences:
There is no god. = gnostic atheist
I don't believe in god. = agnostic atheist

There is a god. = gnostic theist
I believe in god. = agnostic theist

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 7 users Like kim's post
05-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Hmmm. Maybe I'm agnostic, gnostic Atheist then?

I don't really know no god or gods exist....
But I do know the god of the bible doesn't exist. Tongue

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
05-12-2013, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2013 05:58 PM by LadyJane.)
(05-12-2013 05:39 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Hmmm. Maybe I'm agnostic, gnostic Atheist then?

I don't really know no god or gods exist....
But I do know the god of the bible doesn't exist. Tongue

Agnostic for the fact you recognize you don't know everything in the entire universe thus you can't conclude absolutely and atheist because you recognize that the deists humans have come up with are fairy tales of mythology.

Me too Smile
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
05-12-2013, 05:52 PM
(05-12-2013 05:15 PM)kim Wrote:  A gnostic atheist would likewise profess to know without doubt, there is no deity.
Now how can one be 100% absolutely certain about anything ? sure all major religions might be false but that's not to say that there isn't any kind of higher intelligent being somewhere.

one can be reasonably certain that all the man-made religions are false by exposing their contradictory scriptures&superstitions but how can an atheist be absolutely certain about something which we could probably never even measure or see ?

there's a limit to where we can make claims really.. claiming to be absolutely certain about the whole universe is just plain silly.

We're just floating on a tiny rock.. in the myriad of many other rocks we can't afford to be this egotistical.

There can be a "higher power" which many deists may consider God so its not out of the rational possibilities.
05-12-2013, 05:58 PM
I think I'm teetering between atheist and ignostic. If I were to post my views, would you lovely folks help me find a nice category to fit in?

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
05-12-2013, 06:01 PM
(05-12-2013 05:58 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I think I'm teetering between atheist and ignostic. If I were to post my views, would you lovely folks help me find a nice category to fit in?

Us humans love labelling shit and stuffing things in boxes and such. We'll even jam square pegs into round holes!

Describe yourself and we'll see if the boot fits. Cool
05-12-2013, 06:02 PM
(05-12-2013 05:52 PM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 05:15 PM)kim Wrote:  A gnostic atheist would likewise profess to know without doubt, there is no deity.
Now how can one be 100% absolutely certain about anything ? sure all major religions might be false but that's not to say that there isn't any kind of higher intelligent being somewhere.

one can be reasonably certain that all the man-made religions are false by exposing their contradictory scriptures&superstitions but how can an atheist be absolutely certain about something which we could probably never even measure or see ?

there's a limit to where we can make claims really.. claiming to be absolutely certain about the whole universe is just plain silly.

We're just floating on a tiny rock.. in the myriad of many other rocks we can't afford to be this egotistical.

There can be a "higher power" which many deists may consider God so its not out of the rational possibilities.
They don't claim to be 100% absolutely certain.

Saying you "know" something doesn't necessarily mean you claim to know it with absolute certainty.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's