WTF is a "Gnostic" Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2013, 01:50 PM
RE: WTF is a "Gnostic" Atheist
If anybody feels comfortable being gnostic about the non existence of flying reindeer, then they understand my gnostic stance on deities.

If you choose to be agnostic about the existence of flying reindeer..to say flying reindeer may possibly exist, because you can't prove that they can't exist. Hey good for you, you can never be told that you concluded incorrectly. But, I don't understand the need to admit the possibility of something so obviously impossible, just because you can't prove it.

I rule out god as a possibility because I rule out magic as a possibility, and god is just a subset of magical belief.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2013, 01:53 PM
(07-12-2013 01:50 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  But, I don't understand the need to admit the possibility of something ...
A weak atheist doesn't admit that a god is possible.
A weak atheist merely shrugs and says IDK!
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
07-12-2013, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2013 02:13 PM by Adrianime.)
(07-12-2013 01:53 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 01:50 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  But, I don't understand the need to admit the possibility of something ...
A weak atheist doesn't admit that a god is possible.
I understand that. However if you don't think there is a possibility that something can be true, then there is no reason to say "I don't know". Saying "I don't know" seems to imply uncertainty, inconclusiveness. If you have concluded that something is impossible, there is no need for "I don't know". "I don't know" implies that in your mind, the conclusion that it is impossible has not been reached. Meaning that you think it is a possibility.

07-12-2013, 02:10 PM
(07-12-2013 02:07 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 01:53 PM)Stevil Wrote:  A weak atheist doesn't admit that a god is possible.

I don't see much difference between saying "I don't know" and "I admit that is a possibility, but I don't believe it."
It's quite a difference.
It would seem somewhat of a stretch to say that an intelligent being can be made of nothing and have intelligence before anything ever existed.

Is this even possible?
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
07-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Yeah I realized I worded that poorly, and really shouldn't have brought "belief" into it, so I reworded it.

08-12-2013, 12:12 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 12:25 AM by IndianAtheist.)
(06-12-2013 01:12 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I get the point you are making and technically you are correct. There is no way for anyone to be absolutely certain that there isn't a god out there somewhere in the vast universe since we can't examine every last corner of it (at least not yet).
Not to mention everyone seems to have their own anecdotal definitions about God,God doesn't even need to be a conscious living being in my opinion.

If i'm asked about my stance i'll say that i'm a Gnostic atheist when it comes to every religion ever but i'm NOT a Gnostic atheist when it comes to knowing everything about the universe.

Quote:But atheism is a lack of belief in any god so we need a definition that covers all possibilities of what "god" means.
This exactly,most people seem to think God means something something anthropomorphized supernatural deity.. no it can be way broader than that it can be a celestial body which was made by fusions of other small planets with the gravitation pull strong enough to collapse the our entire solar system or something like that.

My point:God doesn't have to be a supernatural big daddy in the sky Tongue it can be a phenomenal awe-inspiring force of nature.

The illustrator in that comic strip made it look like Gnostic atheists are "Absolutely certain" about everything in the universe which is fallacious because the definition of God itself is variable.

Quote:I mean sure, I could be wrong, but is it really reasonable to entertain that possibility? For science maybe The term "agnostic" doesn't fit right because I wouldn't say I don't know the invisible unicorn isn't there, but I technically can't say with 100% absolute certainty that the invisible unicorn isn't there either.
Well in a sense if you are imagining that and your neurons are processing that information so.. technically invisible pink unicorn "exists" as an abstract thought in your mind.

More on to the point you may not be 100% absolutely certain but you are reasonably certain that it isn't there and that is why i consider myself an agnostic instead of a Gnostic atheist who "Claims" to know with absolute certainty which is almost like being a theist IMO
[+] 1 user Likes IndianAtheist's post
08-12-2013, 07:58 AM
(08-12-2013 12:12 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  If i'm asked about my stance i'll say that i'm a Gnostic atheist when it comes to every religion ever but i'm NOT a Gnostic atheist when it comes to knowing everything about the universe.

The illustrator in that comic strip made it look like Gnostic atheists are "Absolutely certain" about everything in the universe which is fallacious because the definition of God itself is variable.

From my understanding, the best way to describe it is an agnostic atheist doesn't believe in any gods and a gnostic atheist believes there are no gods. So if you ask them both how many gods there are, the first person would say "I don't know" or "we can't know that" and the second would day "zero".

Personally, I think making the claim "there are no gods" is too strong a claim to make, since now the burden of proof is on you to show that there aren't any. I'm comfortable saying "I don't see any evidence for belief, so I'm not going to believe". Functionally speaking, so far as day to day life goes, they pretty much are the same. I go about my business as if there were no gods around because I don't see a reason to assume they're there.

That being said, many religions do make testable claims that can be, and have been proven false time and time again. Of course, all that technically does is prove that aspect of the religion wrong and not the existence of that particular god itself. So, this leaves the theist some wiggle room to either redefine their stance to remove the objectively wrong parts from it, or to take the absurd stance that God/Satan/your mom altered the evidence to make the world appear older than it is, or something. Of course, down that road is the road to Last Thursdayism.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post