WW1 The question of German guilt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2014, 10:24 PM
RE: WW1 The question of German guilt
(18-02-2014 10:16 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  WWII is reasonably clear cut but there is definitely more to WWI.
I'm English and 37, my group of friends ranges from early 20s to 70s, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the majority of the English, including myself are thoroughly ashamed of the Empire but there is a minority of some significance that are proud of it.

If I were English I would be ashamed to be as well, and rightfully so, but just not about taking over the world bit in the 17 and 18 hundreds..

There are far more recent reasons then English should hang their heads in shame. This being the head of that list:

[Image: doctor_who_peter_capaldi.jpg]

Not just your new doctor but British sci fi in general.

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Drich's post
01-03-2014, 05:11 AM
(20-02-2014 10:24 PM)Drich Wrote:  There are far more recent reasons then English should hang their heads in shame. This being the head of that list:

He's not English.

Hate the belief, love the believer.
01-03-2014, 09:08 AM
(01-03-2014 05:11 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 10:24 PM)Drich Wrote:  There are far more recent reasons then English should hang their heads in shame. This being the head of that list:

He's not English.

The list of things Drich doesn't understand is already pretty vast.

The difference between 'English', 'British', and 'UK' is something I fear forever beyond him.

... this is my signature!
01-03-2014, 09:49 PM
(20-02-2014 10:24 PM)Drich Wrote:  
(18-02-2014 10:16 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  WWII is reasonably clear cut but there is definitely more to WWI.
I'm English and 37, my group of friends ranges from early 20s to 70s, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the majority of the English, including myself are thoroughly ashamed of the Empire but there is a minority of some significance that are proud of it.

If I were English I would be ashamed to be as well, and rightfully so, but just not about taking over the world bit in the 17 and 18 hundreds..

There are far more recent reasons then English should hang their heads in shame. This being the head of that list:

He's Scottish...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2014, 12:02 AM
(01-03-2014 09:08 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 05:11 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  He's not English.

The list of things Drich doesn't understand is already pretty vast.

The difference between 'English', 'British', and 'UK' is something I fear forever beyond him.

Meh, they are all just Brittanians anyway, regardless of name.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
02-03-2014, 06:22 AM
I have never felt guilt because of the actions of others, whether it is my ancestors, countrymen, etc. I cannot held held accountable for what others do, and I wouldn't expect differently from anyone else. It's ridiculous to expect otherwise. There are those that would expect me to feel guilt because there were European Americans who held African Americans as slaves, but I did not, and I do not feel guilty for what others did. If you go back far enough I'm sure my ancestors are guilty of any number of terrible atrocities. How much guilt and how many generations back am I supposed to feel guilty about? None. I am not my father, nor my grandfather. I am not my country, I am not my 'race', I am not my ethnicity. I'm Daniel. I feel guilt for my own misdeeds.

[+] 5 users Like Dark Light's post
02-03-2014, 11:20 AM
(01-03-2014 05:11 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  

He's not English.

British sci fi....

Did you not understand the criticism was focused on British sci fi in general. It is this same sci if that selected this new doctor.

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
02-03-2014, 01:26 PM
(02-03-2014 11:20 AM)Drich Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 05:11 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  He's not English.

British sci fi....

Did you not understand the criticism was focused on British sci fi in general. It is this same sci if that selected this new doctor.

I understood it. I also understood you used English and British interchangeably, which is a bit like a European using Mexican to describe everyone from North America.

Hate the belief, love the believer.
10-03-2014, 09:20 AM
If we're looking for the one key factor which made war inevitable, IMO the troubled personality of Wilhelm II was it.

His attitude to England was totally screwed up: he was desperate to outdo his uncle Bertie, blamed the English obstetrician who delivered him for his withered arm, had a very strange love-hate relationship with his English mother who largely rejected him because of the disability.

When war came he was broken-hearted that England joined in, yet with his expanding battle-fleet he had done much to provoke it.

Much like the English Civil War - one can cite dozens of different factors, yet it is certain that it would never have come to war if Charles Stuart had not been short, disabled and had a terrible upbringing.

Eternal happiness is rhubarb tart. - John Cleese
16-04-2014, 05:54 AM
If World War One was a bar fight.....

Germany, Austria and Italy are standing together in the middle of a pub when Serbia bumps into Austria and spills Austria's pint. Austria demands Serbia buy it a complete new suit because there are splashes on its trouser leg. Germany expresses its support for Austria's point of view. Britain recommends that everyone calm down a bit. Serbia points out that it can't afford a whole suit, but offers to pay for the cleaning of Austria's trousers. Russia and Serbia look at Austria. Austria asks Serbia who it's looking at. Russia suggests that Austria should leave its little brother alone. Austria inquires as to whose army will assist Russia in compelling it to do so. Germany appeals to Britain that France has been looking at it, and that this is sufficiently out of order that Britain should not intervene. Britain replies that France can look at who it wants to, that Britain is looking at Germany too, and what is Germany going to do about it? Germany tells Russia to stop looking at Austria, or Germany will render Russia incapable of such action. Britain and France ask Germany whether it's looking at Belgium. Turkey and Germany go off into a corner and whisper. When they come back, Turkey makes a show of not looking at anyone. Germany rolls up its sleeves, looks at France, and punches Belgium. France and Britain punch Germany. Austria punches Russia. Germany punches Britain and France with one hand and Russia with the other. Russia throws a punch at Germany, but misses and nearly falls over. Japan calls over from the other side of the room that it's on Britain's side, but stays there. Italy surprises everyone by punching Austria. Australia punches Turkey, and gets punched back. There are no hard feelings because Britain made Australia do it. France gets thrown through a plate glass window, but gets back up and carries on fighting. Russia gets thrown through another one, gets knocked out, suffers brain damage, and wakes up with a complete personality change. Italy throws a punch at Austria and misses, but Austria falls over anyway. Italy raises both fists in the air and runs round the room chanting. America waits till Germany is about to fall over from sustained punching from Britain and France, then walks over and smashes it with a barstool, then pretends it won the fight all by itself. By now all the chairs are broken and the big mirror over the bar is shattered. Britain, France and America agree that Germany threw the first punch, so the whole thing is Germany's fault . While Germany is still unconscious, they go through its pockets, steal its wallet, and buy drinks for all their friends.

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
[+] 1 user Likes PeterKA's post