WWATAD? (What would a thinking atheist do?)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2018, 05:40 PM
RE: WWATAD? (What would a thinking atheist do?)
"I'm not clear as to why you repeatedly make this distinction about government buildings versus—presumably—private buildings?"

Separation of Church and State.
Inclusivity
Establishment clause of the first amendment

I have no say, and should have no say, what books you choose to have on display in your privately owned building. Public, government owned property----that's different.

Having been asked and answered though, I refer back to this:

That being said: "Not having the bible on that podium isn't going to benefit your life in any real way."

That is the bottom line really in a nutshell though, isn't it? Perspective. Thanks.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2018, 04:06 PM
"BTW, your claim that all this "begs" the question is incorrect. It actually "raises" the question. Sorry."

Well now, that's one I've been using wrong my whole life. Thanks.Blush

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
21-05-2018, 05:32 PM
(21-05-2018 04:06 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  "BTW, your claim that all this "begs" the question is incorrect. It actually "raises" the question. Sorry."

Well now, that's one I've been using wrong my whole life. Thanks.Blush

Most people have been! It's got to the point that we should probably just give up, and admit that for most people it means "raise the question" now. (You know, I'm sure, that the proper meaning is to say that someone is beginning an argument by assuming the conclusion.)

The funniest example I've seen was in Lawrence Krauss's book on why there is something rather than nothing. Most of the book -- the parts about physics -- is pretty interesting, but the philosophy chapter is bad. All the way through I was thinking, "this guy is just begging the whole question." And then in the middle of begging the question, he used "beg the question" to mean "raise the question"! It made me think that if he'd known what the phrase meant, he might have been less likely to commit the error.

Oh well.
[+] 2 users Like Belaqua's post