WWI is now officially history

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2012, 12:33 PM
RE: WWI is now officially history
(07-02-2012 03:59 PM)Zat Wrote:  
(07-02-2012 03:52 PM)Observer Wrote:  As a poetry lover I guess you already know she died 2 days ago...

Yes, I know and I grieve!

She was one of the two poets I most admire (together with Attila Jozsef - Hungarian) -- they were everything I aspired to live up to and am failing miserably.

Maybe that's why she had the Nobel Prize and I don't Sad

Here is my own feeble attempt to describe war:

Anger

If I may humbly add my own...

Daddy's Gone To War

“Darling get the post.”

“Here mummy, it’s for you,
is it from daddy?
Is he coming home soon?
Mummy tell me what it says.
It’s from daddy, isn’t it?

“Mummy tell me. Please.
Mummy, does it say why daddy
didn’t come back with the others?

Mummy, will he be long?
I miss him,
I want him back.

“Mummy don’t cry.

“Mummy?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Unfortunately our history does not give me hope that these atrocities will never be repeated. I read a book recently that described WW1 as "Young men being sacrificed on the altar of old mens' pride", but the same could be said about most large scale confrontations. And the sad fact is that, the longer we go without conflict, the more likely it is to happen again because of our collective inability to remember the horror and deprivation it causes
06-03-2012, 11:40 AM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2012 11:48 AM by N.E.OhioAtheist.)
If the Israelis keep going like they are and the Zionism power structure that runs the country we will be dragged into WW3, With the threat of bombing Iran. Our country will fallow them into a war that will be our down fall. China is not going to stand by and let their oil get cut off. I seen a video from a Rabbi that makes allot of sense to me. Here it is.

Even though I don't believe in God I do believe in his message. Israel is a false state and should have never been given statehood.
06-03-2012, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2012 03:09 PM by Mr Woof.)
(07-02-2012 03:34 PM)Zat Wrote:  It's a double-edge dilemma.

On one hand, who wants to remember madness in all its waste, horror and stupidity?

On the other hand, if we don't remember it like that, we might do it again!

Important things is: let's not romanticize it like a "glorious fight for our freedom and way of life". Those soldiers and civilians died on the altar of ultimate human stupidity.

It didn't solve anything and the peace-treaty at the end assured that the next major butchery was inevitable.

Lest we forget! Angry

My father died on the Burma Road as a member of Australia's 2nd 29th Batallion.

No one wants to glorify war but 70 years ago the Japs bombed Darwin; it is not always easy to navigate "the altar of human stupidity"; nor is it easy to play favorites and victims in any of the worlds ideologies, customs, political systems, religions and genetic dispositions............'the answer my friend is blowin in the wind'

We can awe and ah about weapons factories, capitalism, communism, religion, those "other people" till we go red in the face with anger or false justifications, but when it comes to the crunch, we, as individuals, constitute the quintessential aspects of world humanity, like it or not.
06-03-2012, 06:50 PM
My generation is that of the children of WW2.

And we tried... we marched against the war in Vietnam, we became Hippies and tried to spread "make love, not war", we fought against racism, we fought for women's rights.

We did effect some change, but not enough, it's never enough, and it always gets lost in future generations.

Let's face it, we are the worst of the animals. We are the only ones who engage in mass killings - I guess just because we can.

We evolved our intelligence in science, but morally and emotionally we are crippled. We are always ready to listen to fear mongering and the subsequent fury and outrage that allows us to justify killing en masse.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
06-03-2012, 07:14 PM
(06-03-2012 06:50 PM)Dom Wrote:  My generation is that of the children of WW2.

And we tried... we marched against the war in Vietnam, we became Hippies and tried to spread "make love, not war", we fought against racism, we fought for women's rights.

We did effect some change, but not enough, it's never enough, and it always gets lost in future generations.

Let's face it, we are the worst of the animals. We are the only ones who engage in mass killings - I guess just because we can.

We evolved our intelligence in science, but morally and emotionally we are crippled. We are always ready to listen to fear mongering and the subsequent fury and outrage that allows us to justify killing en masse.

Almost enlisted for Nam, mainly to get away from life.
At the time of the interview, I purposely started acting a bit crazy and was declared psychologically unfit...................
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
06-03-2012, 07:40 PM
(06-03-2012 07:14 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(06-03-2012 06:50 PM)Dom Wrote:  My generation is that of the children of WW2.

Almost enlisted for Nam, mainly to get away from life.
At the time of the interview, I purposely started acting a bit crazy and was declared psychologically unfit...................

I just missed the draft. I was so lucky I was still in High school. My parents wanted me to head north to Canada. They said they would pay my bills till the war was over. My dad was a WW2 war vet. He couldn't see the reason for that war.
[+] 3 users Like N.E.OhioAtheist's post