Poll: Would you rather be Christian or American?
Christian
American
[Show Results]

WWJD

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2011, 09:54 PM
WWJD
warning: this thread contains twisted confusing concepts, please get through it in order to see the point that i'm truly trying to get to

recently my atheist friend and i were discussing osama's death, when 911 occured we were both outraged like everyone else, but 10 years later, both of us were in agreement about something. if you look at what osama did from his perspective, he was just a guy fighting for what he believed was right. yes what he did was wrong but we as a country do many things that he views as just as outrageous.

when the conversation we were having was starting to end, somehow i determined that instead of starting war, we should have started discussions, even a 'business' proposal, something, anything to mend the wounds between our cultures.

this concept probably seems absolutely ridiculous to pretty much everyone. i can easily understand how people would call me crazy or anti american for saying such a thing. he did after all kill thousands of people in a very dramatic inhumane way.

here's the REAL crazy part:

i am coincidently thinking the things that jesus preached for people to do. did he not preach work with your enemy or some crap like that? i'm sure my wording is wrong but he no doubt would have been against us going to war because of what osama did to our country and found a better way to solve the problem.

here's the funny part:

i can almost guarantee that if i expressed my views of how we should have handled 911 to a christian they would scoff at me as if i was the enemy myself. christians jumped at the opportunity to be first in line to put his head on a stick. they did not stop for a single moment to practice what they preach and still haven't after 10 years.
what's even funnier is when a guy like me actually presents the very thing they say they follow, they shun me and treat me as if i'm crazy.

all of this is flying through my head like a swarm of bees so i'm sorry if i'm not being very clear.

these people ask me 'where do i get my morals?' 'how do i know what's right and wrong?' but my morals are inside of me by nature and the people who stand so tall and proud as if they are better and more enlightened than i am, don't even realize they are the ones who lack they very morals they are supposed to follow.

they are cheering the death of osama as if they won the superbowl but they don't even play the game by their own rules.

christians you make me sick. i don't even have the nerve to write the things i am thinking about you at this moment.

you consider me anti-american for sticking up for the enemy? well i have a question for you. would you rather be a christian or an american? i think the answer to that question is pretty obvious for any god loving person.
take a wild guess what my answer is.

you choose america as #2, the place that provides you with the lifestyle and freedoms you live with today. and then you are too stupid to even follow your own guidelines presented in option #1.

oh i'm sorry if i insulted you, but you are the one that was insulting me in your mind the moment i told you what i think about what we should have done with osama.
honestly, i lied, i'm not sorry i insulted you, i personally think you deserve it and a lot worse.

fuck you, and have a nice day.

even the smartest man in the world is an idiot
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2011, 10:30 PM
RE: WWJD
I torn on the wars. I can easily see how they were the population choice in 2001, but I feel like trying to attack and destroy an organization that can move from country to country and with a flimsy command structure is not the smart approach.

To the main point, I do find it funny how they cut and paste from their book. It's not any surprise that they would support the war. As a general rule, the bible doesn't tell them what to say, they tell the bible what to say.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
[+] 1 user Likes ashley.hunt60's post
13-05-2011, 11:27 PM
What Worries Jeff Dee?

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
14-05-2011, 05:25 AM

I protest. There is no "Dead" option. Angry
Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2011, 07:50 AM
How can you be proud of your nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation or cultural background?

You were BORN THAT WAY. You didn't have to do anything for it. It's just something that happened to you. Yes, you can feel lucky to have a certain nationality. I'm happy for not being born in Somalia or Ivory Coast, but I'm not "proud" to be Belgian.
Same goes for skin colour. I'm white, so I'm lucky to have better job perspectives (it's still a racist world), but I can't be proud to be white. That's absurd...

Religion is something completely different. That's something you choose. Yes, parents and communities tend to brainwash you from time to time, but in the end, the choice is up to you. Being an atheist is something you can be proud of. Because you had to work for it, you had to think, understand and research the stupidity and fallacies of holy books. I suppose you can be proud of being a christian too, but that's beside the point.

Your question is asking someone to choose between their heritage and their lifestyle. Truth is, there isn't a real choice between those 2.

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
[+] 3 users Like Thammuz's post
14-05-2011, 10:13 AM
I agree with Thammuz. I would choose neither option because I do not want to be religious or nationalistic. I too am glad that I was born in a country like Canada, but I would have been just as happy being born in New Zealand or Denmark, or any other fairly secular nation. In fact, once I am finished my degrees, I plan on leaving my country of birth so that I can experience what it is like to live in other nations.

I do agree with you though, that it is hypocritical of Christians to not practise what they preach, but they've been doing that for a couple thousand years now Undecided

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
14-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Quote:Your question is asking someone to choose between their heritage and their lifestyle. Truth is, there isn't a real choice between those 2.

yes you are right that is a silly thing to ask of someone but as atheists i was hoping you would see the bigger picture. i will try to explain it now

Option #2 can be anything it could say 'cat lover' it doesn't matter because a true christian can choose nothing over god.

Now people mentioned other reasons as to why you pick none of the above. I know that feeling myself very well due to psychological testing where i am presented with options where i simply am forced to choose because i have no other options.

There is no other choice on purpose, obviously i am aware that there are people from other countries and backgrounds who read on this site who would want an option that represents them better.

Lets use Osama as an example. If Seal Team 6 gave him 2 options: Christian or American? He would have to choose America because choosing christian would violate everything he believes. Yes it is a lesser of 2 evils scenario and the reality is there are 3 choices. The third choice being 'a couple bullets in your face'.

If osama was forced to choose from these '3' things I think the answer would be fairly obivous. He has to choose america, unless he'd truly rather die than live in this country.

If I am wrong and he did choose to die, that shows a high level of ignorance because by living in America he could accomplish his dream of destroying us even easier. People who choose death over option 1 or option 2 are either lacking information, highly depressed, or ignorant or all of the above.

Maybe I was mistaken and I should have included death as an option but I believe that should not be necessary because we are taught the premise of a multiple choice question at an early age. There is always 1 more option in a multiple choice question and that option is never written. That option is called 'failure'.

Now please don't go rushing off writing how I have said you failed, I'm not accusing anyone of that. I understand where you are coming from as skeptical people. We train ourselves to act like this in our journey towards a real truth.

The point I'm trying to make to those who would choose 'Option #3' is that sometimes things are quite a bit simpler than you may perceive them and that sometimes in order to be open minded, you have to be close minded as well.

If my previous statement seems silly then I will be happy to explain that to anyone who questions it's accuracy. This subject can be very deep or complicated but it is also very simple at the same time.

I hope I have made sense to you, and I hope I have not offended you in anyway (seriously i do). If you did not answer the poll please take a moment and reflect on what I have said here and try again.

Thanks

even the smartest man in the world is an idiot
16-05-2011, 12:38 AM
Thammuz, I disagree that you choose your religious belief. It was once expressed that you are helpless to believe what has been demonstrated to you. I do not choose to be an atheist. Religion just hasn't been demonstrated to a degree that would convince me.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
16-05-2011, 12:57 AM

(13-05-2011 09:54 PM)dredmal Wrote:  they are cheering the death of osama as if they won the superbowl but they don't even play the game by their own rules.

Christians are supposedly forgiving, yet they cheer for the death of someone who fought for what they believed in. I've been watching the show Spartacus and I can't help but notice the similarity between the crowds at a gladiator fight portrayed in Spartacus than the modern day Christians. They'll cheer blindly for the deaths of someone who did not believe in what they did. Dodgy
Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2011, 08:14 PM
One of the most obvious arguments against Christianity being a "personal life changing" experience is the fact that Christians are nothing like what they teach. If being "saved" were the transformation that it is made out to be then we would see radically different behavior from the majority (who claim to be Christian) in America. Dredmal, you make some very interesting points.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user