WWlll

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2017, 08:02 AM
RE: WWlll
It would start conventional then go chemical and shortly after tactical nuclear followed by strategic nuclear..
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2017, 08:03 AM
(26-03-2017 07:55 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Erik Prince, love him or hate him, wrote a book called "Civilian Warriors" that, though focused on private military contractors, hits the nail on the head in its last couple chapters in regards to the extreme level of waste inherent in military spending.

Turning war into a business is about the wrongest approach anyone can imagine. If there's a monetary incentive, the world would get more dangerous several times over. One can already observe that with the private prison comples - and American exclusive travesty of the justice system - which incentivices sending people to prison, even for minor breaks of the law.
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
26-03-2017, 08:09 AM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2017 08:15 AM by Free Thought.)
I don't agree that conventional forces are outdated; in recent wars yes conventional armies have not been ideal, but that's because they were fighting asymmetric wars. That goes out the window in a WWIII scenario; major players will be fielding against one another and conventional forces will have their place in a brawl between giants. Not like they used to, but still.

I feel much the same can be said of maintaining a modern up-to-date navy and air force; they will probably be at the eye of the strategic shitstorm thanks to their strategic launch capacity and mobility.

Feel free to correct me if I'm talking out my ass...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
26-03-2017, 08:10 AM
(26-03-2017 08:03 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(26-03-2017 07:55 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Erik Prince, love him or hate him, wrote a book called "Civilian Warriors" that, though focused on private military contractors, hits the nail on the head in its last couple chapters in regards to the extreme level of waste inherent in military spending.

Turning war into a business is about the wrongest approach anyone can imagine. If there's a monetary incentive, the world would get more dangerous several times over. One can already observe that with the private prison comples - and American exclusive travesty of the justice system - which incentivices sending people to prison, even for minor breaks of the law.

There's a monetary incentive to someone whether it's private contractors or government dependent businesses. I believe both have their place. And regardless, most of the worlds' militaries are so inept and logistically crippled at this point that its all but guaranteed there will be a strong private contractor presence in any conflict.

'Murican Canadian
26-03-2017, 08:41 AM
(26-03-2017 08:10 AM)yakherder Wrote:  And regardless, most of the worlds' militaries are so inept and logistically crippled at this point that its all but guaranteed there will be a strong private contractor presence in any conflict.

Which is one of the most dangerous developments ever - if it really comes to that. If business interests are involved in going to war, if war becomes the business, there's no way to reign in the horses.

There are certain things that shouldn't be outsourced to ptivate business. Defense is one of them, maybe the most important one, since the incentive is in all the wrong places.
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
26-03-2017, 08:51 AM
It would look like nuclear annihilation.

26-03-2017, 09:02 AM
(26-03-2017 08:41 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(26-03-2017 08:10 AM)yakherder Wrote:  And regardless, most of the worlds' militaries are so inept and logistically crippled at this point that its all but guaranteed there will be a strong private contractor presence in any conflict.

Which is one of the most dangerous developments ever - if it really comes to that. If business interests are involved in going to war, if war becomes the business, there's no way to reign in the horses.

There are certain things that shouldn't be outsourced to ptivate business. Defense is one of them, maybe the most important one, since the incentive is in all the wrong places.

Unfortunately, idealism in this case would put us at odds with the laws of evolution. A society with monetary incentive tends to find ways to develop and weaponize technologies while societies without monetary incentives end up losing military leverage and wasting resources on outdated concepts.

To be fair, there are innovations based on older, cheaper technologies that I wish we'd invest in, like the EMB 314 Super Tucano.

'Murican Canadian
26-03-2017, 09:08 AM
(26-03-2017 09:02 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Unfortunately, idealism in this case would put us at odds with the laws of evolution.

Idealism doesn't come into it. Only the warning against one of the most dangerous steps humanity may ever take. I'm sufficiently cynical to know it will take it anyway. Which still doesn't keep me from contradicting someone actually endorsing it.
26-03-2017, 09:08 AM
With all our fancy shit, it's so resource intensive it often ends up unavailable. There are times I would have traded a kidney and maybe thrown in a left testicle for WW2 era air support.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
26-03-2017, 09:17 AM
(26-03-2017 06:25 AM)Dom Wrote:  What should we invest in to prevent cyber war? Chemical warfare? Poisoning of food supplies? Or?

Purple hair dye, 10-gauge stainless steel, tattoo needles, weed, and cash.

"And why do the best hackers on the planet not work for the FBI? Because the FBI will not hire anyone with a 24-inch purple mohawk, 10-gauge ear piercings, and a tattooed face who demands to smoke weed while working and won't work for less than a half-million dollars a year. But you bet your ass that the Chinese and Russians are hiring similar people with similar demands and have been for many years. It's why we are decades behind in the cyber race." - McAfee

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post