WWlll

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2017, 10:06 AM
RE: WWlll
It's hypothesized that Saturn, Jupiter, Neptune, and Uranus all experience something we could define as raining diamonds. If so they'd probably melt when they hit the ground on Saturn or Jupiter, but still. To think Neptune and Uranus have vast quantities of diamonds randomly strewn about their surface while they're considered rare and precious commodities here is something to daydream about. However distant a possibility it may be, automated space mining drones could change the nature of resource dependence.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
27-03-2017, 10:16 AM
(27-03-2017 10:06 AM)yakherder Wrote:  To think Neptune and Uranus have vast quantities of diamonds randomly strewn about their surface while they're considered rare and precious commodities here is something to daydream about. However distant a possibility it may be, automated space mining drones could change the nature of resource dependence.

What do you think would happen, if it's about large quantities? With all the supply and demand thing going, after five years or so, the mining facilities wouldn't be able to sustain themselves.
27-03-2017, 10:34 AM
Quote:I really don't think that is going to be helpful should the shit really hit the fan...

Our defense budget has nothing to do with winning wars and everything to do with rewarding defense contractors.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
27-03-2017, 10:59 AM
(27-03-2017 10:06 AM)yakherder Wrote:  It's hypothesized that Saturn, Jupiter, Neptune, and Uranus all experience something we could define as raining diamonds. If so they'd probably melt when they hit the ground on Saturn or Jupiter, but still. To think Neptune and Uranus have vast quantities of diamonds randomly strewn about their surface while they're considered rare and precious commodities here is something to daydream about. However distant a possibility it may be, automated space mining drones could change the nature of resource dependence.

Arthur C Clarke wrote about that stuff. He and others have written about making space elevators using string made out of diamonds.

Yeah... it sounds better when they say it lol
27-03-2017, 10:59 AM
(27-03-2017 10:16 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 10:06 AM)yakherder Wrote:  To think Neptune and Uranus have vast quantities of diamonds randomly strewn about their surface while they're considered rare and precious commodities here is something to daydream about. However distant a possibility it may be, automated space mining drones could change the nature of resource dependence.

What do you think would happen, if it's about large quantities? With all the supply and demand thing going, after five years or so, the mining facilities wouldn't be able to sustain themselves.

It's not like diamonds are rare on earth. Their distribution is controlled by an international monopoly De Beers which creates a false shortage by only allowing a small minority of the diamonds it mines to reach market in a given year. It also falsely increased demand for diamonds by tying them into the marriage ritual in the west. It is quite literally textbook market manipulation; diamonds are merely compressed carbon one of the most common elements on earth and are easily created in a lab, which has to mark it as man made because there is no other way to tell the difference.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
27-03-2017, 11:13 AM
Doesn't it take a shit ton of energy to do that?
27-03-2017, 11:18 AM
(27-03-2017 10:59 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 10:16 AM)abaris Wrote:  What do you think would happen, if it's about large quantities? With all the supply and demand thing going, after five years or so, the mining facilities wouldn't be able to sustain themselves.

It's not like diamonds are rare on earth. Their distribution is controlled by an international monopoly De Beers which creates a false shortage by only allowing a small minority of the diamonds it mines to reach market in a given year. It also falsely increased demand for diamonds by tying them into the marriage ritual in the west. It is quite literally textbook market manipulation; diamonds are merely compressed carbon one of the most common elements on earth and are easily created in a lab, which has to mark it as man made because there is no other way to tell the difference.

True, and I wouldn't suggest going to much effort to go mine them on some distant planet. That was mostly just an arbitrary example of something that is (naturally) available in vast quantities elsewhere and (perceived to be) rare here. It was actually De Beers I was working for before getting laid off and returning to corrections lol. So for completely selfish reasons I kind of hope the market returns to a state where it would again be practical for them to re-open Snap Lake Mine. I'd rather protect rocks than perform half hour checks on inmates trying in vain to masturbate in peace.

'Murican Canadian
27-03-2017, 11:53 AM
(27-03-2017 11:18 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 10:59 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It's not like diamonds are rare on earth. Their distribution is controlled by an international monopoly De Beers which creates a false shortage by only allowing a small minority of the diamonds it mines to reach market in a given year. It also falsely increased demand for diamonds by tying them into the marriage ritual in the west. It is quite literally textbook market manipulation; diamonds are merely compressed carbon one of the most common elements on earth and are easily created in a lab, which has to mark it as man made because there is no other way to tell the difference.

True, and I wouldn't suggest going to much effort to go mine them on some distant planet. That was mostly just an arbitrary example of something that is (naturally) available in vast quantities elsewhere and (perceived to be) rare here. It was actually De Beers I was working for before getting laid off and returning to corrections lol. So for completely selfish reasons I kind of hope the market returns to a state where it would again be practical for them to re-open Snap Lake Mine. I'd rather protect rocks than perform half hour checks on inmates trying in vain to masturbate in peace.

Diamonds are a perfect example for what you were saying I was just answering abaris' question about long term viability. In all honestly the Victoria mines in South Africa should have done to diamonds what the Comstock load did to silver ie a permanent lowering of the price.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
27-03-2017, 12:44 PM
(27-03-2017 10:59 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 10:16 AM)abaris Wrote:  What do you think would happen, if it's about large quantities? With all the supply and demand thing going, after five years or so, the mining facilities wouldn't be able to sustain themselves.

Its an illuminati conspiracy lol
27-03-2017, 01:16 PM
(27-03-2017 12:44 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(27-03-2017 10:59 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It's not like diamonds are rare on earth. Their distribution is controlled by an international monopoly De Beers which creates a false shortage by only allowing a small minority of the diamonds it mines to reach market in a given year. It also falsely increased demand for diamonds by tying them into the marriage ritual in the west. It is quite literally textbook market manipulation; diamonds are merely compressed carbon one of the most common elements on earth and are easily created in a lab, which has to mark it as man made because there is no other way to tell the difference.

Its an illuminati conspiracy lol

Heh yeah except this one is based in traceable facts and has a clear and easily understandable motive , more money.