• 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2016, 05:58 PM
RE: Wacky things you once believed in.
-God
-Jesus
-Angels
-demons
-prayer
-for a short time some woo, like, maybe there is some kind of afterlife because of conservation of energy Rolleyes
-that my ex husband was a good person who would never intentionally hurt me, could be trusted, and would never cheat on me
-I'd be rich when I grew up and wouldn't have to clean my room because I'd have a maid for that

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2016, 07:53 PM
(18-07-2016 04:15 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Some love spells I believed actually worked Hobo

No, that's just them hips lass. Big Grin

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 6 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
18-07-2016, 07:59 PM
(18-07-2016 07:53 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(18-07-2016 04:15 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Some love spells I believed actually worked Hobo

No, that's just them hips lass. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
18-07-2016, 09:16 PM
(18-07-2016 04:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Size doesn't matter. Weeping

There, there, it really is just a matter of how you use it. Or is Manly Girl really that cruel? Big Grin
18-07-2016, 09:29 PM
I used to believe a Jewish carpenter died for my wrongdoings and through a human sacrifice, took the punishment for me. I realized eventually this was immoral as hell and moved on.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
19-07-2016, 11:45 AM
(18-07-2016 01:40 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Psychic Powers - Because pokemon mostly and because humans only used 10% of their brain so we could have powers if we could tap into it...this died quickly when I grew a bit older and when I discovered that 10% thing was a lie and we use all of our brains.

I certainly bordered on this. I don't know if I actively believed it, but I certainly believed in the possibility. I'd utter that same 10% stat, as sell as "mind over matter" nonsense.

Similarly, I believed in some type of chi/ki/qi powers. I certainly didn't know how to harness them, but I totally believed people had near magical levels of strength if they knew how.

I believed certain amounts of homeopathy, but not a lot. That mostly went away when I learned how to internet.
19-07-2016, 03:29 PM
Santa Clause - Got presents every year (check), cookies eaten (check), note left (check) spoke to him on the phone (turned out to be Pop-pop)
Easter Bunny - Got a note , and would find candy and paw prints threw out the house.
Tooth Farie - Tooth one night, money the next day. Seemed liget.
Monster's in my closet/under the bed - I would hear the creaks of my house and thought it was hiding in the walls. I would often leap into bed so that it couldn't grab at my ankles.
Guardian Angel - When bad things would seem to narrowly miss me I attributed it to my Guardian Angel.
Demons - What hide in the shadows of my mind. The darkest coners of the world that could manipulate men's minds.
God - der
Big Foot - I used to watch a lot of these shows, but saw so many, I never saw one Big foot in a single one. I began to think something was up.
Ghost's - Personal experience storys, were enough to convince me, with never experiencing any myself. Ghost shows just solidified these clams. I held on to this belief the longest because I felt if ghost were real then that would mean a spirit, energy or soul was real. And could escape the body and survive outside of it.
Psychics
Alien Visitation

I'm realizing I bought into a lot of stuff.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
20-07-2016, 02:08 AM
Psychic powers, for me. I thought I might could have them, was sure a couple of my friends had them.

Wasn't 'til I read some Sagan and some Randi -- and took geometry in high school -- that I learnt how to avoid post hoc stupidity. Slow learner that I was (and some would say still am!), it took a few years to transition from a visceral atheism (this shit just can't be right) to being able to explain why I thought that way.

Nowadays, I don't think of myself as an atheist -- I think of myself as a rationalist. My atheism is subordinate to a well-tuned bullshit detector.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
20-07-2016, 03:18 AM
I would say Emanation, is a belief of the universe & existence I had at a point. Perhaps not for a long time but in that floundering a various atheistic types of beliefs that hinged on still having some element of good fashioned nonsense to them. It wore off when I began to gleam at these things more skeptically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emanationism

There was also a part of me back in like 2008 that was hopeful 2012 would spell a magnetic polar shift in time, though this was before all the 2012 came stuff got really pop culturally popular and by that time I realized how nonsensical this all was.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
20-07-2016, 03:47 AM
I went through a phase of believing in new age woo because of my first girlfriend. My mum believed in reincarnation so I believed in that too. My grandmother claimed to be a medium so they were often talking about ghosts. My mum is still petrified of being in a house alone at night. I was raised with plenty of ghosts stories that were supposed to be true. Then when I started my MSc in evolutionary & adaptive systems I started to question everything that I believed in.