• 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2016, 05:58 PM
RE: Wacky things you once believed in.
-God
-Jesus
-Angels
-demons
-prayer
-for a short time some woo, like, maybe there is some kind of afterlife because of conservation of energy Rolleyes
-that my ex husband was a good person who would never intentionally hurt me, could be trusted, and would never cheat on me
-I'd be rich when I grew up and wouldn't have to clean my room because I'd have a maid for that

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2016, 07:53 PM
(18-07-2016 04:15 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Some love spells I believed actually worked Hobo

No, that's just them hips lass. Big Grin

Kneel mortal before Whiskey I, Lord of Dalmore, Duke of Jameson, Defender of the Sloshed, and God-Emperor of Holy Terra.
[+] 6 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
18-07-2016, 07:59 PM
(18-07-2016 07:53 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(18-07-2016 04:15 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Some love spells I believed actually worked Hobo

No, that's just them hips lass. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
18-07-2016, 09:16 PM
(18-07-2016 04:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Size doesn't matter. Weeping

There, there, it really is just a matter of how you use it. Or is Manly Girl really that cruel? Big Grin
18-07-2016, 09:29 PM
I used to believe a Jewish carpenter died for my wrongdoings and through a human sacrifice, took the punishment for me. I realized eventually this was immoral as hell and moved on.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
19-07-2016, 11:45 AM
(18-07-2016 01:40 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Psychic Powers - Because pokemon mostly and because humans only used 10% of their brain so we could have powers if we could tap into it...this died quickly when I grew a bit older and when I discovered that 10% thing was a lie and we use all of our brains.

I certainly bordered on this. I don't know if I actively believed it, but I certainly believed in the possibility. I'd utter that same 10% stat, as sell as "mind over matter" nonsense.

Similarly, I believed in some type of chi/ki/qi powers. I certainly didn't know how to harness them, but I totally believed people had near magical levels of strength if they knew how.

I believed certain amounts of homeopathy, but not a lot. That mostly went away when I learned how to internet.
19-07-2016, 03:29 PM
Santa Clause - Got presents every year (check), cookies eaten (check), note left (check) spoke to him on the phone (turned out to be Pop-pop)
Easter Bunny - Got a note , and would find candy and paw prints threw out the house.
Tooth Farie - Tooth one night, money the next day. Seemed liget.
Monster's in my closet/under the bed - I would hear the creaks of my house and thought it was hiding in the walls. I would often leap into bed so that it couldn't grab at my ankles.
Guardian Angel - When bad things would seem to narrowly miss me I attributed it to my Guardian Angel.
Demons - What hide in the shadows of my mind. The darkest coners of the world that could manipulate men's minds.
God - der
Big Foot - I used to watch a lot of these shows, but saw so many, I never saw one Big foot in a single one. I began to think something was up.
Ghost's - Personal experience storys, were enough to convince me, with never experiencing any myself. Ghost shows just solidified these clams. I held on to this belief the longest because I felt if ghost were real then that would mean a spirit, energy or soul was real. And could escape the body and survive outside of it.
Psychics
Alien Visitation

I'm realizing I bought into a lot of stuff.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” Plato
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
20-07-2016, 02:08 AM
Psychic powers, for me. I thought I might could have them, was sure a couple of my friends had them.

Wasn't 'til I read some Sagan and some Randi -- and took geometry in high school -- that I learnt how to avoid post hoc stupidity. Slow learner that I was (and some would say still am!), it took a few years to transition from a visceral atheism (this shit just can't be right) to being able to explain why I thought that way.

Nowadays, I don't think of myself as an atheist -- I think of myself as a rationalist. My atheism is subordinate to a well-tuned bullshit detector.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
20-07-2016, 03:18 AM
I would say Emanation, is a belief of the universe & existence I had at a point. Perhaps not for a long time but in that floundering a various atheistic types of beliefs that hinged on still having some element of good fashioned nonsense to them. It wore off when I began to gleam at these things more skeptically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emanationism

There was also a part of me back in like 2008 that was hopeful 2012 would spell a magnetic polar shift in time, though this was before all the 2012 came stuff got really pop culturally popular and by that time I realized how nonsensical this all was.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
20-07-2016, 03:47 AM
I went through a phase of believing in new age woo because of my first girlfriend. My mum believed in reincarnation so I believed in that too. My grandmother claimed to be a medium so they were often talking about ghosts. My mum is still petrified of being in a house alone at night. I was raised with plenty of ghosts stories that were supposed to be true. Then when I started my MSc in evolutionary & adaptive systems I started to question everything that I believed in.