Wake and funeral protocol

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2016, 10:43 PM
Wake and funeral protocol
I received some bad news today, and wouldn't it figure this is my 2,000th post.

My sister-in-law, the one with whom I had all of those religious debates you may remember, lost her father suddenly this morning. The details aren't important.

It occurs to me that this will be the first wake and funeral I will attend with my family since they learned I am an atheist. It will be a Catholic affair and what I remember from those services is the body is in the casket and people walk up to the body and kneel in front of it, view the body and then pray or say goodbye, etc. The funeral will be a Catholic mass in their church.

In the old days, I prayed over the body and followed the rituals at the church. But now, everyone knows I'm an atheist. I can assure you I'm not being childish here. I can suck it up and attend these things to be there for her and her family, but at the same time, if I kneel in front of a dead body they are going to know I'm faking it. And I'm not going to genuflect in a church, or kneel or say any prayers, either.

So, any advice?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2016, 10:48 PM
RE: Wake and funeral protocol
I'm so sorry for your loss. Hug

I'm an ex Catholic myself. You can still pay your respects to those who have passed on without prayer. Going up to the casket is a symbolic way to say goodbye for the person who is grieving. Religion doesn't have to have anything to do with it.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
25-01-2016, 10:58 PM
Thanks. I'm an ex-Catholic, too. I just think saying goodbye to a body is odd now. I'm not praying, I don't believe he is somewhere else on some other plane and can hear my thoughts. And my family knows I don't believe in anything supernatural, so what will they think I'm doing up there? I don't want the actions to come off as disingenuous.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
25-01-2016, 11:02 PM
(25-01-2016 10:58 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Thanks. I'm an ex-Catholic, too. I just think saying goodbye to a body is odd now. I'm not praying, I don't believe he is somewhere else on some other plane and can hear my thoughts. And my family knows I don't believe in anything supernatural, so what will they think I'm doing up there? I don't want the actions to come off as disingenuous.

View it as a symbolic gesture and not that he's in another level of existence. If anyone says anything (which I doubt they will) I would just say that you said goodbye to him in your own way and are here to support your SIL.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
25-01-2016, 11:05 PM
Thanks Jen.

----
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
25-01-2016, 11:12 PM
If you want to walk to the viewing then do so. Pay your respects without the kneeing, praying, just a thoughtful good-bye. If you do not want to do the viewing then don't. Pay your respects to your SIL and let it go.

I do not do funerals anymore and I've never been to one in a church so I don't know much about those. At a funeral home those who do not want to view just stay seated or remain at the back of the room.

Sorry for your family's loss.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 4 users Like Heatheness's post
25-01-2016, 11:15 PM
(25-01-2016 11:12 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  If you want to walk to the viewing then do so. Pay your respects without the kneeing, praying, just a thoughtful good-bye. If you do not want to do the viewing then don't. Pay your respects to your SIL and let it go.

I do not do funerals anymore and I've never been to one in a church so I don't know much about those. At a funeral home those who do not want to view just stay seated or remain at the back of the room.

Sorry for your family's loss.

Thanks, and I hope this is all for nothing and I do have the option to just pay my condolences, etc. I just like to be prepared.

----
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
25-01-2016, 11:16 PM
Personally for me I feel the point of a funeral is coming to accept death.

When it's a person close to me, I go to cry, to share memories, and to feel the pain of loss with other.
When it's somebody else I go to comfort them.

So I'd focus on those things, and less on religion. Although it was funny at my friends funeral when the preacher fell down the steps during his sermon. (my friend was an atheist)

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
26-01-2016, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2016 11:27 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
My sympathies on your family's loss, and condolences to you, Will.

(25-01-2016 10:58 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Thanks. I'm an ex-Catholic, too. I just think saying goodbye to a body is odd now. I'm not praying, I don't believe he is somewhere else on some other plane and can hear my thoughts. And my family knows I don't believe in anything supernatural, so what will they think I'm doing up there? I don't want the actions to come off as disingenuous.

Don't worry so much about what they think you're doing. Be respectful of the deceased, be dignified in your comportment, and be true to yourself.

Having been to a Catholic wake for an in-law myself, I went up to Grampa's casket, closed my eyes, and cherished the memories of the man I loved. It worked for me.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
26-01-2016, 01:37 PM

It doesn't matter, it's just showing respect to your sister in law. You don't technically have to kneel. Just do a walk by -- if even that. Just give your sister in law a hug with an offer to help if she needs it. Follow through after.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post