Waking Life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Waking Life
By chance I found this movie........."Waking Life"

It is one of the most interesting philosophical films I have ever seen........allmost every moment in it covers subjects that we have discussed on here.

Here is a taster

You can watch the whole film on youtube (seperated into 9 parts) or you can watch it here.

http://www.putlocker.com/file/1QWRB2P2JGKK8CO#

(click on free user)

Enoy Tongue

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2011, 04:24 PM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2011 04:33 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Waking Life
Yup, I like that movie a lot. I found out about via its reported influence on Gabrielle Giffords' shooter, Jared Lee Loughner. But I already knew about lucid dreaming long before that. Yes lucid dreaming is possible, and yes lucid dreaming can be induced both pharmacologically and intentionally. But doing so involves some risks, especially to an already fragile psyche. Jared Lee Loughner didn't cope with it well at all. I watched the movie first and then watched it again with my now adult children (ages 16-26). I was careful to pause throughout the movie to provide them the appropriate metaphysical context of each scene so it didn't just sound batshit crazy.

"Whoever battles monsters should take care not to become a monster too,
for if you stare long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss stares back into you." - Nietzsche

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
20-09-2011, 12:36 AM
Saw this in philosophy class 2 years ago, great film good stuff to chew on.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Living better through not dying Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes LunarFuror's post
20-09-2011, 05:16 AM
(19-09-2011 04:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I was careful to pause throughout the movie to provide them the appropriate metaphysical context of each scene so it didn't just sound batshit crazy.

Ha ha I suppose without a certain amount of life experience it would sound batshit crazy Smile

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
20-09-2011, 08:20 AM
It sure sounded crazy - or, at least incomprehensible - to me a few years ago. Maybe i should take another look, with pauses.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
22-09-2011, 11:12 PM
(20-09-2011 08:20 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  It sure sounded crazy - or, at least incomprehensible - to me a few years ago. Maybe i should take another look, with pauses.

Don't bother, you already grok it.

23-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Really? Now i'll have to look.

(PS, Girly-Man, I didn't think you were old enough to grok stuff. Oh, how aggravating it was when you couldn't go to a party or coffee-house without somebody earnestly expounding on that silliness.)

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
23-09-2011, 11:32 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2011 06:48 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-09-2011 08:38 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  Really? Now i'll have to look.

Okay go ahead, let us know what you tihnk.

(23-09-2011 08:38 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  PS, Girly-Man, I didn't think you were old enough to grok stuff.

Pretty sure I'm 49 going on 30 for like forever. Wink