Wal-Mart gives the finger to DC?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
11-07-2013, 07:38 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 08:41 AM by AtheistTeacher.)
So this story caught my eye. On a personal note I am all for raising the minimum wage in this country, because I don't see how anyone, with the prices we see today and the inflation of basic items, can survive and thrive on 7 something dollars an hour. So Washington DC's Council voted recently to raise the MW by 5 dollars to 12.50 an hour. That's pretty awesome...But wait, then this shoe drops.

Wal-Mart Says It Will Ditch Store Expansion After D.C. 'Living Wage' Vote

They threaten to stop all new stores coming into the area, etc. Gotta love how one of the most profitable corporations in the world, run by one of the richest families on Earth, has balked at paying their workers (in just the DC area) more, and as a result threatens to take their ball and go home.

"History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2013, 07:52 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 07:58 AM by Tartarus Sauce.)
RE: Wal-Mart gives the finger to DC?
They did something similar in Germany. They opened up around 500 stores there, and pretty much immediately butted heads with the German high courts since workers had to be guaranteed a right to unionize. The German courts declared that Wal-Mart had to either allow workers to form unions or close down their 500 new stores and get the fuck out. Guess which option they chose.

*PS, I don't actually remember the number....500 is just what I remember being said when this story was told to me.

[Image: giphy.gif]
11-07-2013, 07:56 AM
The "raising minimum wage will make our corporations run away" fear may have some truth when it comes to manufacturing, but for retail? If there is a retail store shaped hole in DC and Walmart doesn't fill it because they don't want to pay higher wages, then someone else will. Even with the higher wages stores will still be profitable since grunt wages usually account for a small part of expenses. Someone will be glad to meet the demand and make a lot of money from it. Walmart will only have lost potential money as a result of their asshattery.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 2 users Like Elesjei's post
11-07-2013, 08:02 AM
Don't blame Wallmart guys, they are broke....They only make more revenue every year than the entire nation of Norway...

[Image: walmart-is-bigger-than-norway.jpg]

Norway's GDP: $414.46 billion

Walmart's Revenue: $421.89 billion

Norway would rank as the world's 25th biggest country.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/25-corpor...z2YkHaEp7b

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ridethespiral's post
11-07-2013, 08:52 AM
(11-07-2013 07:56 AM)Elesjei Wrote:  The "raising minimum wage will make our corporations run away" fear may have some truth when it comes to manufacturing, but for retail? If there is a retail store shaped hole in DC and Walmart doesn't fill it because they don't want to pay higher wages, then someone else will. Even with the higher wages stores will still be profitable since grunt wages usually account for a small part of expenses. Someone will be glad to meet the demand and make a lot of money from it. Walmart will only have lost potential money as a result of their asshattery.

Someone like, say, Costco.

Who generally employ full-time workers, pay them more than minimum wage, provide healthcare and other benefits, fill a very similar retail niche, and - here's the important part - are more profitable per employee than Walmart.

"Fuck everybody" business practices aren't good business.

... this is my signature!
[+] 6 users Like cjlr's post
11-07-2013, 09:04 AM
When the local Walmart started looking more and more like the people of Walmart photos and sites I started thinking about shopping elsewhere. When the people that worked there started getting really really surly, I went less and less. When two cashiers made my husband and I wait while they bitched about Walmart, I was done.

It is the closest place for me to get certain sewing supplies so I will go in for an item or two now and then but I don't remember the last time I went in there.

I dread the thought of entering one though the new one opening near us will probably be okay for about a year...then it will go to crap.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
11-07-2013, 10:53 AM
(11-07-2013 09:04 AM)Anjele Wrote:  When the local Walmart started looking more and more like the people of Walmart photos and sites I started thinking about shopping elsewhere. When the people that worked there started getting really really surly, I went less and less. When two cashiers made my husband and I wait while they bitched about Walmart, I was done.

It is the closest place for me to get certain sewing supplies so I will go in for an item or two now and then but I don't remember the last time I went in there.

I dread the thought of entering one though the new one opening near us will probably be okay for about a year...then it will go to crap.

Don't put up with shitty customer service.
Complain complain complain.

That's this countries attitude and it works great, even our shitty customer service is great.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
11-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Walmart, like every other corporation on the planet employs slave like labor in third world countries to make stuff to appease western over consumption, yet according to you guys walmart is bad because they don't pay Americans more money.....so they can buy more snuggles and waddle irons.

I also remember a certain poster posting a story about a Walmart used factory filled with young female workers that burned down, the doors were kept locked as well.

Guess who posted this story and guess who got shat on for posting it.

Walmart responsible for slave labor and mass deaths.....ignore

Walmart pays low wages to Americans.....respond

Reason number 2,382,194,628. Of WHY THEY HATE US.
[+] 2 users Like I and I's post
11-07-2013, 11:41 AM
(11-07-2013 11:03 AM)I and I Wrote:  Walmart, like every other corporation on the planet employs slave like labor in third world countries to make stuff to appease western over consumption, yet according to you guys walmart is bad because they don't pay Americans more money.....so they can buy more snuggles and waddle irons.

I also remember a certain poster posting a story about a Walmart used factory filled with young female workers that burned down, the doors were kept locked as well.

Guess who posted this story and guess who got shat on for posting it.

Walmart responsible for slave labor and mass deaths.....ignore

Walmart pays low wages to Americans.....respond

Reason number 2,382,194,628. Of WHY THEY HATE US.

No argument from me here, economic imperialism is nasty shit. They also extort their suppliers, using forced expansion followed by price cutting who then in turn extort their laborers.

...Of course that doesn't mean they shouldn't pay their US employees a living wage...421 Billion in REVENUE a YEAR is a lot of money.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
11-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Complaining about bad service works until someone gets excited with their Icamera.