Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
12-07-2013, 02:50 PM
RE: Wal-Mart gives the finger to DC?
Good luck with that DL.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2013, 03:00 PM
I do not shop at Walmart. Ever.

Evil corporation.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-07-2013, 03:00 PM
(12-07-2013 02:44 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(12-07-2013 02:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  No, that's a rotten cherry you definitely don't want to pop. Wink

Thanks for the imagery. Now I will switch sexual preferences. Sorry Ladies. Wink

You sure about that? Consider carefully.

[Image: fat.jpg]

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-07-2013, 03:04 PM
(12-07-2013 08:47 AM)cjlr Wrote:  I didn't mention it because metallism is just demented fetishism (and I mean that in the anthropological sense). All currency is imaginary and all currency is backed by mutual understanding. Whether it's source. The difference is in how much of it there can be. Since shiny rocks are finite and electronic data isn't (well - isn't in a meaningful way as opposed to a theoretical way), that obviously limits monetary inflation, but has plenty of its own problems.

I'll take the better option. Limiting inflation is a much bigger problem solved compared to the problems is causes. Our fiat money system is doomed to entropy, decay, and death. It's already in progress. Have you seen the price of bread and milk in the last 10 years? How about those wages? Keep the inflation down and you will not even have to worry about minimum wage.

cjlr Wrote:Agree to disagree at best, I think. Obviously wage increases are commensurate with inflation (but, being a cause and an effect, I think it's a bit naive to say it's only a cause). Minimum wage earners are such a tiny part of the overall economy that I find it extremely hard to believe that they're a prime driver of price increases. And my other point still stands; given a situation in which inflation is already occurring, a wage that is not increasing in nominal terms is decreasing in real terms.

I think it would be naive to say that too, which is why I didn't. I also don't disagree with you final point. However I don't think forcing the minimum wage up helps, I think it hurts. It causes (though not solely causes) inflation which negates the potential benefits.

cjlr Wrote:Austrian school? And I thought you were cool... Big Grin

But now I'm curious, since even I don't know what I'd likely say.

Of course I'm cool. I'm so hip I can't even see over my own pelvis.

You would say the opposing thing of course.

cjlr Wrote:Fucking with what? What isn't working? The above has occurred regardless of minimum wage increases (which, for that matter, have not occurred in most US states).

The economy. Quit trying to manipulate it by adding false value to something. We have a Federal currency. What happens in Maine affect California. What happens in Texas affects Michigan. For that matter what happens in Tennessee affects the British pound, but in a less direct way.

cjlr Wrote:I'm afraid I don't see the connection. People working minimum wage are in exactly the same situation. The number of jobs doesn't magically change. So individual circumstances don't either...

Redundancy. Lay-off. It ain't magic, but jobs do disappear.

cjlr Wrote:Well, okay - it's a consequence of growth and human nature (well, and debt). An increasing economy and fixed money supply mean the amount per person goes down. People don't like numbers to go down, they like them to go up (the "this one goes to eleven" principle). Regulations are necessary insofar as capital has gravity, and once it becomes too concentrated the effects are mostly negative (and also because large groups of people are pretty much amoral by definition, so if a society wants or expects moral behaviour...).

Given the definition of economy (well - my definition above) it's going to be a muddle regardless. Much as a democracy was once described as "the worst of all possible forms of government, except for all others that have been tried". If people's relative well-being remains more or less constant (increase is too much to hope for), then I don't particularly give a shit how many zeros are on the bills.

I don't like my numbers going up. Bread, Booze, Milk Corn, Gasoline, they all went up. I wasn't a big fan of it. You should give a shit about the zeroes, they are important.

12-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Just eeeeeeew

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

12-07-2013, 03:06 PM
And now I am a-sexual. Sorry Ladies and Gentlemen.

Wait, did Girly just tell me to go fuck myself?

12-07-2013, 03:14 PM
(12-07-2013 03:06 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Wait, did Girly just tell me to go fuck myself?

Shouldn't be a problem for you, if you're asexual...

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
12-07-2013, 03:27 PM
(12-07-2013 12:08 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Is it wrong to say I never knew what Walmart was until I moved to Oregon in 2004? Is it wrong to say that I've never been inside one?

I think you actually get an award for never having entered a Walmart.

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
12-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Wal-Mart gives the finger to DC?
(12-07-2013 03:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  I do not shop at Walmart. Ever.

Evil corporation.

"Evil corporation" that is redundant, it's like saying "smelly shit"
12-07-2013, 07:24 PM
(12-07-2013 03:14 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(12-07-2013 03:06 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Wait, did Girly just tell me to go fuck myself?

Shouldn't be a problem for you, if you're asexual...

You grossly underestimate me, sir!