Wal-Mart gives the finger to DC?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
15-07-2013, 05:18 PM
RE: Wal-Mart gives the finger to DC?
Wal-Mart - Private company - Freedom to do business where they choose.

This is an opportunity for the people who don't like Wal-Mart to start 6 retail stores in the DC area and pay $25.00 per hour to the workers.

Who's stepping up? The DC City Counsel?

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
15-07-2013, 05:36 PM
(13-07-2013 04:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-07-2013 07:08 PM)I and I Wrote:  "Evil corporation" that is redundant, it's like saying "smelly shit"

Silly ideological bullshit.

I am a founder, officer, and major shareholder in a corporation.
It is not an evil entity.

Correct. Not 'evil' just profoundly indifferent to anything but the bottom line. The corporation is an emotionless profit machine. It is an automaton, subject to the group will of it's majority stockholders, every action deigned to bring ROI...and when an exec steps out of line he/she is replaced.

It's the laws job to bring them into line with what is good for the nation.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-07-2013, 04:38 PM
So, it turns out they were thinking of bringing 5 and what they threatened was to not bring the 3 they had planned for the POOREST FUCKING NEIGHBORHOODS. The fuck kinda threat is that. You think people living in Georgetown and in and around Embassy Row are gonna be caught dead shopping at a fucking Wal-Mart?

(15-07-2013 05:18 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Wal-Mart - Private company - Freedom to do business where they choose.

This is an opportunity for the people who don't like Wal-Mart to start 6 retail stores in the DC area and pay $25.00 per hour to the workers.

Who's stepping up? The DC City Counsel?

Costco. The "living wage" law will impact them not one wit 'cause they already start everyone out @$12.50/hour. Don't matter, though, it'll never happen 'cause DC will just get overridden by Congress since they control DC, not the City Council.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
17-07-2013, 07:13 AM
(15-07-2013 05:36 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(13-07-2013 04:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  Silly ideological bullshit.

Correct. Not 'evil' just profoundly indifferent to anything but the bottom line. The corporation is an emotionless profit machine. It is an automaton, subject to the group will of it's majority stockholders, every action deigned to bring ROI...and when an exec steps out of line he/she is replaced.

More ideological closed-mindedness.Drinking Beverage

The bottom line is not our only concern.
Having fun rates highly.
Treating people with respect rates highly.
Creating products that are beneficial rates highly.

We are good people who run a company.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-07-2013, 07:48 AM
(17-07-2013 07:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-07-2013 05:36 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Correct. Not 'evil' just profoundly indifferent to anything but the bottom line. The corporation is an emotionless profit machine. It is an automaton, subject to the group will of it's majority stockholders, every action deigned to bring ROI...and when an exec steps out of line he/she is replaced.

Having fun rates highly.

For good companies, the "bottom line" is not the bottom line. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
17-07-2013, 08:11 AM
(17-07-2013 07:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-07-2013 05:36 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Correct. Not 'evil' just profoundly indifferent to anything but the bottom line. The corporation is an emotionless profit machine. It is an automaton, subject to the group will of it's majority stockholders, every action deigned to bring ROI...and when an exec steps out of line he/she is replaced.

Having fun rates highly.

Until it is no longer profitable. Besides you don't need to treat people respectfully or make good products if you can convince them that you do. I work in marketing you aren't going to fool me. Publicly traded corporations are profit minded first and foremost if they weren't they would be called non-profits or charities. If "Lets give $100,000 to poor children and spend half a million advertising the fact that we did." sounds like altruism to you then you should check your moral compass.

17-07-2013, 08:15 AM
(17-07-2013 08:11 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(17-07-2013 07:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  More ideological closed-mindedness.Drinking Beverage

Having fun rates highly.

Until it is no longer profitable. Besides you don't need to treat people respectfully or make good products if you can convince them that you do. I work in marketing you aren't going to fool me. Publicly traded corporations are profit minded first and foremost if they weren't they would be called non-profits or charities. If "Lets give $100,000 to poor children and spend half a million advertising the fact that we did." sounds like altruism to you then you should check your moral compass.

Please stop trying to define, dictate, or predict my motivations and actions. In fact, fuck off.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
17-07-2013, 12:57 PM
(17-07-2013 07:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  More ideological closed-mindedness.Drinking Beverage

Having fun rates highly.

Anyone who had anything to do with the with the construction of this

[Image: Traffic-at-HRBT-HamptonRoadsLife.jpg]

is evil.

[Image: satan-by-jack-chick_zps90148e51.jpg]
17-07-2013, 01:27 PM
(11-07-2013 08:52 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(11-07-2013 07:56 AM)Elesjei Wrote:  The "raising minimum wage will make our corporations run away" fear may have some truth when it comes to manufacturing, but for retail? If there is a retail store shaped hole in DC and Walmart doesn't fill it because they don't want to pay higher wages, then someone else will. Even with the higher wages stores will still be profitable since grunt wages usually account for a small part of expenses. Someone will be glad to meet the demand and make a lot of money from it. Walmart will only have lost potential money as a result of their asshattery.

Someone like, say, Costco.

Who generally employ full-time workers, pay them more than minimum wage, provide healthcare and other benefits, fill a very similar retail niche, and - here's the important part - are more profitable per employee than Walmart.

"Fuck everybody" business practices aren't good business.

I love Costco and after learning about their business practices and the great founder, I dropped my Sam's membership and stopped shopping at Wal-Mart altogether.

Though there is a bit of exaggeration about the owner. While he honest to God does cap his salary, he takes home a couple mil due to things like stock and bonuses. Still, that's a stark contrast to Wal-Mart execs. I think they take home in upwards of 35 mil.

Costco employees make more than a decent wage. Stick with the company and you can make a very decent living as a cashier. Try 40k on top of bonuses and very good health insurance. I've said this many times, cart pushers in my state at Costco make $13/hr.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/costcoceo.asp

Wal-Mart sucks ass and I hate stepping foot into any of their stores. Screw em. DC is better off this way.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes NoahsFarce's post
17-07-2013, 01:29 PM
(13-07-2013 04:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-07-2013 07:08 PM)I and I Wrote:  "Evil corporation" that is redundant, it's like saying "smelly shit"

Silly ideological bullshit.

So Chas, how about footing the bill for everyone's ticket for a TTA meet up? Big Grin

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson