Walk to Emmaus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2015, 12:15 AM
Walk to Emmaus
While they were talking and discussing, Jesus himself came near and walked with them. - Luke 24:15

Quote:The walk to Emmaus is an experience of Christian spiritual renewal and formation that begins with a three-day short course in Christianity. It is an opportunity to meet Jesus Christ in a new way as God’s grace and love is revealed to you through other believers.
- Walk to Emmaus

I just did a forum search and didn't see this discussed. So. De Colores!(that's a greeting)

Have any of you participated in one of these? I have. They're worldwide. I was also just asked by my dad to help out with a walk this fall. I declined saying that I couldn't commit myself to it, as I have work, my son, and probably a class to take.

My walk was when I was 22. Basically, it's a nondenominational event through The Upper Room (although I think the UMC has a lot of dealings in it). There's a lot of secrecy surrounding it. Your sponsor (someone who has already been through it) drives you out to the camp, so you don't even have your vehicle. You have to turn in your cellphone and remove your watch - absolutely no clocks. Makes it more difficult to figure out how sleep deprived you are, and helps you make Jesus your focus.

The event starts Thursday night, and the women's walks are separate weekends from the men's. They have you separated into tables for the weekend - for the women it's different female role models of the Bible. I was at the table of Ruth, and we did projects together throughout the weekend. There are 15 talks given by various community clergy and laity - mom is frequently a speaker, and is a leader in the community. You also sing tons of praise and worship songs. As the weekend progresses, more is "revealed" to you, and the conference room becomes more and more decorated each time you come back to it, along with getting little goodies (rainbow colored Jesus crap with bible verses or catchy phrases) that have been made by members of the community, some from members even in other countries.

On Saturday night, you leave the conference room, to find your path back to the cabins lit with luminaries and hundreds of members of the community with a candle with a wooden holder in one hand and holding up the "I love you" sign language symbol with the other, all while singing a rather eerie song as you walk down the path. Your sponsor actually gives you your own candle that night for you to use on future walks.

At some point you also do communion and have a long prayer session. You also receive a necklace with a cross - the ribbon on it designates your community (like crystal springs or sumatanga).

On Sunday you receive letters at the very end of the event. Lots of them. They're from church members, strangers, and family telling you that they love you.

The entire time there are people praying - there's actually a sign up list for hours around the clock dedicated to praying for the walk.

Thoughts?

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2015, 12:26 AM
RE: Walk to Emmaus
Thoughts?

That's creepy as all hell, and if it had all been dedicated to Xenu and his alien volcano spirits, a whole hell of a lot of those people would agree with me. But because it's Jesus it doesn't raise the same red flags.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
21-04-2015, 12:27 AM
Interesting.

What was the name of your cult? Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
21-04-2015, 12:29 AM
(21-04-2015 12:27 AM)kim Wrote:  Interesting. What was the name of your cult?

The name is Walk to Emmaus.

They have them on every continent. If you go their website, I'm sure you can find a walk near you.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
21-04-2015, 12:35 AM
Yabut, what is the cult - christee of some sort, presumably - jw? Some kind of fundamentalism?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
21-04-2015, 12:36 AM

This is the song (but acapella) they sing during the candlelight ceremony (walk).

21-04-2015, 12:39 AM
(21-04-2015 12:35 AM)kim Wrote:  Yabut, what is the cult - christee of some sort, presumably - jw? Some kind of fundamentalism?

There were Methodists, baptists, church of christs, Catholics, etc on my walk. It encourages/trains Christians to stand together despite their differences and go back into "the world" and be leaders.

21-04-2015, 12:48 AM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2015 12:52 AM by kim.)
Verily I say unto thee: you gotta be shitting me. Blink

Did you happen notice any Jones Town parallels at the time you participated in this event?

[+] 5 users Like kim's post
21-04-2015, 12:49 AM
Ahh! Now I remember - the goodies were called Agape and left by Agape fairies. One left me earplugs when they found out my bunk mate snored like a goddamn freight train and I had no sleep.

[Image: 6795b8cfcd103925249458daa31d3538.jpg]

[Image: 2aac546d4c7b61aec19a05f805dd2a90.jpg]

21-04-2015, 12:53 AM
One of my nurse friends, (whose husband is an atheist) who is a very liberal Catholic has a friend who went to one of these. She (her friend) now calls herself a "prayer warrior". Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post