Walk to Emmaus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2015, 01:00 AM
RE: Walk to Emmaus
[Image: 88773-Dove-Rainbow-DeColore.jpg]

I always giggle when I see a rainbow bumper sticker intended to represent Emmaus and not gay pride.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2015, 01:37 AM
That's a brainwashing camp.
What you described is cultish as hell

A walk like that reinforces that there is only one path and that path is to walk with us. They take away your connections to the world so that you must rely on the group you are with.

It sounds like they got to you.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
21-04-2015, 02:08 AM
(21-04-2015 01:37 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  That's a brainwashing camp.
What you described is cultish as hell

A walk like that reinforces that there is only one path and that path is to walk with us. They take away your connections to the world so that you must rely on the group you are with.

It sounds like they got to you.

I completely agree. My brother and I make jokes about it being a cult all the time - but not in earshot of our parents.

They have gatherings and small groups frequently. I never participated in any of those events. I did volunteer at a walk once, but it was when mom was the lay director.

Mom's friend is going to one next week, and since mom can't drive her, dad is taking her. However, I have been compelled by the power of Christ to ride along to prevent the impropriety of an unmarried woman riding alone in the car with a married man. And to keep dad awake.

If I weren't working next Saturday I'd be tempted to go just to take pics of the walk and record the singing. I couldn't find any in a google search.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
21-04-2015, 05:47 AM
Jesus camp for adults. Hobo

Cults need ritualistic rites like this to give a sense of separation from "the world" and make the cult members feel privileged to be part of the "in group".

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
21-04-2015, 06:23 AM
that really gave me the heebie jeebies reading that. Ohmy seriously. thats some crazy shit.

I keep feeling guilty for not letting my kids go on trips and spend time alone with their grandparents because I have nightmares that the stuff you just described would happen....and now you tell me its a real thing!?

fuck no- my kids arent going to Grandma's alone.

I have been in NC/SC 15 years now, I have never heard of that. I gotta go ask some other friends, the curiousity is killing me.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
21-04-2015, 02:08 PM
(21-04-2015 06:23 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  that really gave me the heebie jeebies reading that. Ohmy seriously. thats some crazy shit.

I keep feeling guilty for not letting my kids go on trips and spend time alone with their grandparents because I have nightmares that the stuff you just described would happen....and now you tell me its a real thing!?

fuck no- my kids arent going to Grandma's alone.

I have been in NC/SC 15 years now, I have never heard of that. I gotta go ask some other friends, the curiousity is killing me.

There's a version for teens called Chrysalis. Just so you're aware...

21-04-2015, 02:21 PM
Sounds like a pile of shit, Nurse. A lot of meaningless, feel-good, xtian crap.

I always laugh my ass off every easter when you see clips of idiot xtians walking the "via dolorosa" in Jerusalem. The first century levels are 30 feet below them buried under the rubble that Hadrian tamped down when he re-built the city as Aelia Capitolina.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post