Walking Across Bridges 101: A life guide by Muffs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2014, 12:42 PM
RE: Walking Across Bridges 101: A life guide by Muffs
(17-09-2014 12:31 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I get irked by "cyclists" who have no concept of self preservation. I almost creamed one on the way to work yesterday morning - it was foggy and on a road that was both hilly and curvy while he was riding on the incorrect side of the road and no blinky lights. Please stay off the road when:

It's foggy outside
Dark outside and you don't have lights to alert drivers to your presence
Roads with speed limits >45mph and no shoulder or bicycle lane
Hilly roads with blind spots and no bicycle lane
Curvy roads with blind spots and no bicycle lane
Any road outside of a neighborhood during morning or evening rush hour traffic and no bicycle lane
Not wearing a helmet
Not wearing safety colors
Riding on the wrong side of the road - you are supposed to go with the flow of traffic, not against it - you are not a pedestrian

You can talk about equality for cyclists all you want, but as it stands, my car has the capacity to run you over without me being aware of your presence until I hear a thump. Be conscious of the route you take.

I am a cyclist (don't even own a car), and I agree with most of these. Other cyclists riding on the wrong side of the road is one of my pet peeves. I'm not especially fond of head-on collisions.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2014, 12:59 PM
(17-09-2014 12:31 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I get irked by "cyclists" who have no concept of self preservation. I almost creamed one on the way to work yesterday morning - it was foggy and on a road that was both hilly and curvy while he was riding on the incorrect side of the road and no blinky lights. Please stay off the road when:

It's foggy outside
Any road outside of a neighborhood during morning or evening rush hour traffic and no bicycle lane
Not wearing a helmet
Riding on the wrong side of the road - you are supposed to go with the flow of traffic, not against it - you are not a pedestrian

You can talk about equality for cyclists all you want, but as it stands, my car has the capacity to run you over without me being aware of your presence until I hear a thump. Be conscious of the route you take.

Where I live, (and I ride my bike all the time) cyclists have the following guidelines :
Wear dark colors after dark, so no one can detect you,
Never use reflective surfaces, someone might avoid you,
All laws were written for and apply to others. None apply to you.
Whatever you do, don't stop at a stop sign.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
17-09-2014, 01:30 PM
(17-09-2014 12:59 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Where I live, (and I ride my bike all the time) cyclists have the following guidelines :
Sounds about right.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
17-09-2014, 02:01 PM
(17-09-2014 12:59 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

It's foggy outside
Not wearing a helmet

Where I live, (and I ride my bike all the time) cyclists have the following guidelines :

In Massachusetts:
  • You must obey all traffic laws and regulations of the Commonwealth.
  • You must use hand signals to let people know you plan stop or turn.
  • You must give pedestrians the right of way.
  • You must give pedestrians an audible signal before overtaking or passing them.
  • You may ride two abreast, but must facilitate passing traffic. This means riding single file when faster traffic wants to pass, or staying in the right-most lane on a multi-lane road.

Bicyclists here ignore stop signs and right of way all the time.
I had stopped at a 3-way stop and just started as a group of cyclists blew through a stop sign and rode right in front of me.
They got all huffy when I leaned on the horn and told them they ran a stop.

So I told them to go fuck themselves. I know, so unlike me. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-09-2014, 02:52 PM
(17-09-2014 06:32 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Walking Across Bridges 101

Introduction statement

Walking along bridges is a vital skill that many of us will require at some point in our lives. For some people it will be a rare occurrence and for others it will be a daily event. I am in the group of the later of those. Through my many months of experience of crossing bridges I have developed this extensive guide that will teach you the basic skills required to accurately, safely and politely cross a bridge.

Step 1: Walking across the bridge

- When someone is coming the other way and there is only enough room for two people and you are walking next to your friend, either you or your friend has to get the fuck out of the damn way.

- If the walkway is shared pedestrian and cyclist and you see a cyclist approaching, move the fuck over!

- Walk to the side of the path, not in the middle.

- Don't cross the bridge if you have children with you. This includes strollers.

- If you don't move when you blatantly see a cyclist approaching you better be prepared for him to just keep cycling with or without you in the way.

- Be aware of people walking faster then you behind you and let them through.

- Don't throw your rubbish off the bridge into the river you dirty cunt. Take it home or find a rubbish bin.

- MOVE!

Conclusion

If we can all follow these easy to do instructions, maybe crossing bridges will be a far more enjoyable experience for all!
Stay tuned for my next 'life guide' edition, the only guide on the internet that will teach you how to not be a fucking cunt.

But...... oh dear me..... do I have to answer three questions? My name, my favorite color and the square root of an isosceles triangle? Shocking Oh no! Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Gasp

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
17-09-2014, 03:19 PM

It's foggy outside
Not wearing a helmet

Last week, I was driving home from work on a road that has 3 lanes each direction and the speed limit is 50 mph. This road is generally packed with cars as it was at that time. There was this cyclist riding down the middle of the lane closest to the sidewalk. Did he think to use the sidewalk? No. Did he stay as close to the curb as possible? No. The idiot was backing up traffic and after quite awhile of waiting my turn to pass him, I really just wanted to run him over. Dodgy

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
17-09-2014, 03:22 PM
(17-09-2014 02:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-09-2014 12:59 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Where I live, (and I ride my bike all the time) cyclists have the following guidelines :

In Massachusetts:
  • You must obey all traffic laws and regulations of the Commonwealth.
  • You must use hand signals to let people know you plan stop or turn.
  • You must give pedestrians the right of way.
  • You must give pedestrians an audible signal before overtaking or passing them.
  • You may ride two abreast, but must facilitate passing traffic. This means riding single file when faster traffic wants to pass, or staying in the right-most lane on a multi-lane road.

Bicyclists here ignore stop signs and right of way all the time.
I had stopped at a 3-way stop and just started as a group of cyclists blew through a stop sign and rode right in front of me.
They got all huffy when I leaned on the horn and told them they ran a stop.

So I told them to go fuck themselves. I know, so unlike me. Drinking Beverage

I think the basic laws regarding cyclists are pretty much the same everywhere. Here in Wisconsin, they are basically the same as what you give for Massachusetts. I have only observed cyclist behavior here, but I suspect that's pretty much the same everywhere as well, and for the same reason -- cyclists think of themselves as pedestrians rather than vehicles, and so they act like pedestrians. Pedestrians can pretty much do what they like without fear of legal consequences, because law enforcement has bigger fish to fry. If you blow through a stop sign or red light in a car, you're at high risk of getting arrested or losing your license. Not so for pedestrians or cyclists, so they feel they can get away with it, and they're basically right. It's human nature to do what you think you can get away with (which is also why most drivers regularly break speed limits, knowing they probably won't get busted unless they overdo it).

Having said all that, I obey traffic laws when I'm cycling, because I'm a law-abiding person in general, because traffic laws in particular serve a good purpose, and because it's safer. And it bothers me when other cyclists break the law, because they give us all a bad name, and I get lots of hostility from motorists because of the behavior of other cyclists. But I can understand why they do what they do, just like I can understand why people in cars break speed limits.
17-09-2014, 04:17 PM

Introduction statement

Walking along bridges is a vital skill that many of us will require at some point in our lives. For some people it will be a rare occurrence and for others it will be a daily event. I am in the group of the later of those. Through my many months of experience of crossing bridges I have developed this extensive guide that will teach you the basic skills required to accurately, safely and politely cross a bridge.

- When someone is coming the other way and there is only enough room for two people and you are walking next to your friend, either you or your friend has to get the fuck out of the damn way.

- If the walkway is shared pedestrian and cyclist and you see a cyclist approaching, move the fuck over!

- Don't cross the bridge if you have children with you. This includes strollers.

- If you don't move when you blatantly see a cyclist approaching you better be prepared for him to just keep cycling with or without you in the way.

- Don't throw your rubbish off the bridge into the river you dirty cunt. Take it home or find a rubbish bin.

- MOVE!

Conclusion

If we can all follow these easy to do instructions, maybe crossing bridges will be a far more enjoyable experience for all!
Stay tuned for my next 'life guide' edition, the only guide on the internet that will teach you how to not be a fucking cunt.

All of that is perfectly in-line, except for cyclists.

Those motherfuckers ought to on the road or if available, in the cyclist lane.

Plus they are cyclists.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
17-09-2014, 04:18 PM
(17-09-2014 08:23 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  'Murica needs one of these instructionals for "Walking down the sidewalk", with many of the same rules.

Thank you.

Maybe do like China did and create a special lane on sidewalks for people who use phones while walking.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
17-09-2014, 04:25 PM
(17-09-2014 04:17 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  

Introduction statement

- MOVE!

Conclusion

All of that is perfectly in-line, except for cyclists.

Those motherfuckers ought to on the road or if available, in the cyclist lane.

Plus they are cyclists.

I sense some hostility toward cyclists here, but I agree with your point. Bicycles are vehicles, and they belong on the road, not on the sidewalk -- and when using the road, they are subject to the same responsibilities (and the same rights) as other users of the road (cars, trucks, buses, motorcycles, etc.).

Again, the problem is that too many cyclists think and act like pedestrians. They are vehicles, not pedestrians.