Walking the Line

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Walking the Line
So this blind crap is still fairly new to me, it's been about a year and a half. I'm now doing the whole learning to be independent shtick. My biggest thing is I don't want to be needy and yet I don't want to get labeled with "Angry Cripple Snydrome" either. ( yes I get to say that) I had a bit of an incident today at the doctor's office. The nurse told me there was a chair a few feet in front of me so I went to find it. She grabbed my cane steered me towards it. My response while not rude I think may still hurt her feelings.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2013, 02:08 PM
RE: Walking the Line
I wouldn't sweat it Wink Maybe if you meet her again you can be nice to her Smile
Find all posts by this user
23-08-2013, 05:52 PM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2013 06:01 PM by GirlyMan.)
I work with this brilliant mathematician Olympic Hall of Famer John Morgan who went blind as a teenager in a gym when some bands snapped off the wall. He went on a 100 mile century ride on the rear of a bicycle built for 2 with a colleague of mine. Another colleague of mine watched his guide dog Wade while they were riding. She noticed that Wade smelled quite funky and so she gave him a bath. Upon their return she told John she gave Wade a bath. John responded, with utmost grace and appreciation, "But I need to be able to smell him."

Directing his cane would feel like poking him in his eyes to me, but I'm sure he'd respond with the utmost grace and appreciation and gently tell me not to poke him in the eye. He has no problem taking my elbow when we're trying to get somewhere quick. And he runs every day tethered to the same guy he went on the bike ride with. He is quite amazing. You didn't hurt her feelings Quill, you merely corrected her. I'm sure she appreciates it, I know I would.

You got a guide dog, Quill?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
23-08-2013, 06:20 PM
(23-08-2013 05:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I work with this brilliant mathematician Olympic Hall of Famer John Morgan who went blind as a teenager in a gym when some bands snapped off the wall. He went on a 100 mile century ride on the rear of a bicycle built for 2 with a colleague of mine. Another colleague of mine watched his guide dog Wade while they were riding. She noticed that Wade smelled quite funky and so she gave him a bath. Upon their return she told John she gave Wade a bath. John responded, with utmost grace and appreciation, "But I need to be able to smell him."

Directing his cane would feel like poking him in his eyes to me, but I'm sure he'd respond with the utmost grace and appreciation and gently tell me not to poke him in the eye. He has no problem taking my elbow when we're trying to get somewhere quick. And he runs every day tethered to the same guy he went on the bike ride with. He is quite amazing. You didn't hurt her feelings Quill, you merely corrected her. I'm sure she appreciates it, I know I would.

You got a guide dog, Quill?

Nope not that great yet. My friend Jess does, I sneak Pippin treat sometimes. She says I spoil him. Plus my mom hates animals. All the dogs I ever owned chewed up her shoes. And my hamster squealed when entered the room (RIP Alvin). I'm thinking of getting a snake when I'm able to move out. Stupid Braille.
23-08-2013, 06:45 PM
(23-08-2013 06:20 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Nope not that great yet. My friend Jess does, I sneak Pippin treat sometimes. She says I spoil him. Plus my mom hates animals. All the dogs I ever owned chewed up her shoes. And my hamster squealed when entered the room (RIP Alvin). I'm thinking of getting a snake when I'm able to move out. Stupid Braille.

Guide dog ain't gonna chew up no shoes. Best trained canines on the planet. Wade has one job, to be a perceptual extension of John. I'll share an anecdote. When John first moved into my neighborhood, the house had been empty for a while. John was just sitting there in the dark with Wade listening to the radio when one of the neighborhood miscreants kicked in his back door thinking the house was still empty and he's gonna strip it of its copper piping to sell. When he saw John and Wade, he said "Don't You Fucking Move!" John casually said "Okay." And dude turned around and left. If dude hadn't just left, Wade would've found a second calling and bit the fucking nuts off the dude.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
23-08-2013, 06:50 PM
(23-08-2013 06:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-08-2013 06:20 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Nope not that great yet. My friend Jess does, I sneak Pippin treat sometimes. She says I spoil him. Plus my mom hates animals. All the dogs I ever owned chewed up her shoes. And my hamster squealed when entered the room (RIP Alvin). I'm thinking of getting a snake when I'm able to move out. Stupid Braille.

Guide dog ain't gonna chew up no shoes. Best trained canines on the planet. Wade has one job, to be a perceptual extension of John. I'll share an anecdote. When John first moved into my neighborhood, the house had been empty for a while. John was just sitting there in the dark with Wade listening to the radio when one of the neighborhood miscreants kicked in his back door thinking the house was still empty and he's gonna strip it of its copper piping to sell. When he saw John and Wade, he said "Don't You Fucking Move!" John casually said "Okay." And dude turned around and left. If dude hadn't just left, Wade would've found a second calling and bit the fucking nuts off the dude.

Oh I know this my mother is the one who hates the dogs now matter what
23-08-2013, 08:04 PM
(23-08-2013 06:50 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Oh I know this my mother is the one who hates the dogs now matter what

I seriously doubt she'd have a problem with a proper guide dog. She'd learn to just recognize it as an extension of her daughter Quill.

23-08-2013, 08:13 PM
(23-08-2013 08:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-08-2013 06:50 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Oh I know this my mother is the one who hates the dogs now matter what

I seriously doubt she'd have a problem with a proper guide dog. She'd learn to just recognize it as an extension of her daughter Quill.
You have no idea, man. She still has a hard time accepting the cane. She is still at the suggesting surgeries that won't work stage.
23-08-2013, 08:14 PM
(23-08-2013 01:55 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  So this blind crap is still fairly new to me, it's been about a year and a half. I'm now doing the whole learning to be independent shtick. My biggest thing is I don't want to be needy and yet I don't want to get labeled with "Angry Cripple Snydrome" either. ( yes I get to say that) I had a bit of an incident today at the doctor's office. The nurse told me there was a chair a few feet in front of me so I went to find it. She grabbed my cane steered me towards it. My response while not rude I think may still hurt her feelings.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
23-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Isnt your mom alergic to dogs,quill? If i recall corectly,you did say that once

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....