Walls of text in OPs

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
15-01-2015, 05:40 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2015 08:57 PM by TheBear.)
Walls of text in OPs
Whether it's one's own work, or cut and paste from another source, or a combination of both, a mass amount of text, and especially as an OP, does not belong in a discussion forum thread. Typically, threads focus on one specific talking point to be discussed, not some shotgun style, all encompassing and all over the place rant. These threads are not the place to dump your treatises, your essays, your dissertations, your theses or your abstracts for review. This isn't a review board, nor an accreditation board, nor or a journal editor. And, just so you know, you don't gain any credibility by posting lengthy walls of text. Quite the opposite, it makes you look like a fucking lunatic.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 21 users Like TheBear's post
15-01-2015, 05:49 PM
RE: Walls of texts in OPs
Hear, hear! I'd say more, but parsimony is a virtue Smile
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
15-01-2015, 06:07 PM
Ooops! I put an 's' on 'text' in the thread title. How do I fix that? Blush
[+] 1 user Likes TheBear's post
15-01-2015, 06:59 PM
Ya, I see a wall o' text from a n00b, and I be all, "get me some ice cream, Bitch!"

[Image: hYXKE2SGWmYIU.gif]

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 10 users Like Stark Raving's post
15-01-2015, 07:05 PM
(15-01-2015 05:40 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Whether it's one's own work, or cut and paste from another source, or a combination of both, a mass amount of text, and especially as an OP, does not belong in a discussion forum thread. Typically, threads focus on one specific talking point to be discussed, not some shotgun style, all encompassing and all over the place rant. These threads are not the place to dump your treatises, your essays, your dissertations, your theses or your abstracts for review. This isn't a review board, nor an accreditation board, nor or a journal editor. And, just so you know, you don't gain any credibility by posting lengthy walls of text. Quite the opposite, it makes you look like a fucking lunatic.

tl;dr Tongue
[+] 14 users Like pablo's post
15-01-2015, 07:30 PM
Why do I feel like this thread is directed at one person in particular? Wink

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 3 users Like cactus's post
15-01-2015, 07:32 PM
(15-01-2015 05:40 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Whether it's one's own work, or cut and paste from another source, or a combination of both, a mass amount of text, and especially as an OP, does not belong in a discussion forum thread. Typically, threads focus on one specific talking point to be discussed, not some shotgun style, all encompassing and all over the place rant. These threads are not the place to dump your treatises, your essays, your dissertations, your theses or your abstracts for review. This isn't a review board, nor an accreditation board, nor or a journal editor. And, just so you know, you don't gain any credibility by posting lengthy walls of text. Quite the opposite, it makes you look like a fucking lunatic.

I like you .... immediately..... for this post alone.
happy foruming!

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
15-01-2015, 07:34 PM
(15-01-2015 06:07 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Ooops! I put an 's' on 'text' in the thread title. How do I fix that? Blush

Just go into edit on the first post and it should allow you to change the title.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
15-01-2015, 07:38 PM

Emotion over intellect makes a person look like a lunatic. Intellect over emotion would read what someone took the trouble to write, realizing where the intellect originates. No intellect apart from suffering the words to stretch the mind. Once stretched, it never returns to its original size.
15-01-2015, 07:44 PM
(15-01-2015 07:38 PM)AlephBet Wrote:  

Emotion over intellect makes a person look like a lunatic. Intellect over emotion would read what someone took the trouble to write, realizing where the intellect originates. No intellect apart from suffering the words to stretch the mind. Once stretched, it never returns to its original size.

Deepak is that you?!
[+] 6 users Like pablo's post