Walls of text in OPs

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
15-01-2015, 07:57 PM
RE: Walls of texts in OPs
(15-01-2015 06:59 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Ya, I see a wall o' text from a n00b, and I be all, "get me some ice cream, Bitch!"

[Image: hYXKE2SGWmYIU.gif]

O M G

Is there some way I can unsee this?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-01-2015, 08:08 PM
(15-01-2015 06:07 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Ooops! I put an 's' on 'text' in the thread title. How do I fix that? Blush

Bear,
In the Atheism and Theism page, click and hold the title thread. It will allow you to edit the text. I do it alla time.
Doc
[+] 3 users Like docskeptic's post
15-01-2015, 08:12 PM
(15-01-2015 07:44 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(15-01-2015 07:38 PM)AlephBet Wrote:  Emotion over intellect makes a person look like a lunatic. Intellect over emotion would read what someone took the trouble to write, realizing where the intellect originates. No intellect apart from suffering the words to stretch the mind. Once stretched, it never returns to its original size.

Deepak is that you?!

Impenetrability will not allow two things to occupy the same space. One will rule over the other. "Intellect or emotion? Which is to be master?", that's all.

God is the Self. You are the one using it on loan to develop your own as an inheritance. I wish not to squander it. I don't want to upset Humpty with a wall that cannot be climbed, so I'll stop here.
15-01-2015, 08:21 PM
(15-01-2015 05:40 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Whether it's one's own work, or cut and paste from another source, or a combination of both, a mass amount of text, and especially as an OP, does not belong in a discussion forum thread. Typically, threads focus on one specific talking point to be discussed, not some shotgun style, all encompassing and all over the place rant. These threads are not the place to dump your treatises, your essays, your dissertations, your theses or your abstracts for review. This isn't a review board, nor an accreditation board, nor or a journal editor. And, just so you know, you don't gain any credibility by posting lengthy walls of text. Quite the opposite, it makes you look like a fucking lunatic.

I don't mind the walls of text so much when they are from someone who has just discovered this place, probably just realized they are losing/have lost their faith, and are dealing with a lot of issues all at once.

Sometimes I think people come here to say it 'out loud' before they become too afraid to. They get it all out and then people focus on an area or two and share similar experiences.

But the 'shove it down your throat' theists that think the more they talk the more likely we are to buy what they are selling make me a little crazy - cause, yeah, none of us have ever heard their beliefs, or read their Bible verses, or adhered to the same sort of dogma - it's like an ambush.

Wander in here with something to pitch. At least say hello first.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
15-01-2015, 08:48 PM
(15-01-2015 07:38 PM)AlephBet Wrote:  Emotion over intellect makes a person look like a lunatic.

You're right. That's one way. I've heard that when someone is emotionally charged and in a heated argument, the brain is not fully functioning. It get's 'tunnel visioned'. So, they're not thinking clearly.

That would be a great discussion of it's own. We could also get into the lunacy of some people who assign emotions to others, project their own emotions on to others, and all the rest of it. But, that's a topic for another discussion. Here's another topic we could delve into. If someone reads another's words on a message board, and incorrectly interprets them as being upset or angry, then how can they be trusted to correctly interpret their holy writings? Drinking Beverage

Bottom line - This thread is about forum basics and etiquette, moron. Start your own thread if you want to talk about anything else.
[+] 2 users Like TheBear's post
15-01-2015, 08:51 PM
(15-01-2015 07:30 PM)cactus Wrote:  Why do I feel like this thread is directed at one person in particular? Wink

Actually, there's been a few, of late. Angel
[+] 1 user Likes TheBear's post
15-01-2015, 08:55 PM
Alphabet you're not cryptic or deep...you're just a douche.
[+] 5 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
15-01-2015, 08:58 PM
RE: Walls of text in OPs
(15-01-2015 08:08 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Bear,
In the Atheism and Theism page, click and hold the title thread. It will allow you to edit the text. I do it alla time.
Doc

Thank you! Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes TheBear's post
15-01-2015, 09:07 PM
There are some topics that require more than a sound bite such as intros, detailed refutations, sharing your particular expertise on a subject and so forth.

One way to have your cake and eat it too it to write a short synopsis of what you will be discussing, warn of the long post ahead and then putting the “wall of text” within the spoiler brackets.

Easy, peasy, nice and easy. Smartass

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
15-01-2015, 11:18 PM
I have an idea. Can the admins create a page called "The Bridge" so the moron trolls who want to do the shotgun style garbage can be sent there? That way they can post their presuppositional nonsense, we can ignore it easily, and then we can actually have meaningful discussions with people. It would also give people like Gordo, Alphasperm, and mmmoron, a place to hang out and discuss new religions and quantum mechanics. Any thoughts?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post