Wanderers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2014, 04:29 PM
Wanderers
Wasn't sure where to post this.

I discovered it a couple of days ago and I wondered why it hasn't been posted in here yet.

It's a wonderful short film (mostly animated) about humanity migrating to other planets. There's no story, just breath taking scenery and a narration by Carl Sagan.

Best thing I've seen in ages.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like undergroundp's post
06-12-2014, 04:35 PM
RE: Wanderers
Thanks for sharing. Sagan says something about not being able to articulate the calling to wander. I think this comes damn close.

“When I was very young and the urge to be someplace else was on me, I was assured by mature people that maturity would cure this itch. When years described me as mature, the remedy prescribed was middle age. In middle age I was assured greater age would calm my fever and now that I am fifty-eight perhaps senility will do the job. Nothing has worked. Four hoarse blasts of a ships's whistle still raise the hair on my neck and set my feet to tapping. The sound of a jet, an engine warming up, even the clopping of shod hooves on pavement brings on the ancient shudder, the dry mouth and vacant eye, the hot palms and the churn of stomach high up under the rib cage. In other words, once a bum always a bum. I fear this disease incurable. I set this matter down not to instruct others but to inform myself....A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find after years of struggle that we not take a trip; a trip takes us.”
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
06-12-2014, 04:38 PM
That was cool Big Grin I'd actually do some base jumping of my own, like at 2:50, if it was that slow a free fall!

06-12-2014, 04:46 PM
(06-12-2014 04:35 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Thanks for sharing. Sagan says something about not being able to articulate the calling to wander. I think this comes damn close.

“When I was very young and the urge to be someplace else was on me, I was assured by mature people that maturity would cure this itch. When years described me as mature, the remedy prescribed was middle age. In middle age I was assured greater age would calm my fever and now that I am fifty-eight perhaps senility will do the job. Nothing has worked. Four hoarse blasts of a ships's whistle still raise the hair on my neck and set my feet to tapping. The sound of a jet, an engine warming up, even the clopping of shod hooves on pavement brings on the ancient shudder, the dry mouth and vacant eye, the hot palms and the churn of stomach high up under the rib cage. In other words, once a bum always a bum. I fear this disease incurable. I set this matter down not to instruct others but to inform myself....A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find after years of struggle that we not take a trip; a trip takes us.”

That is so beautiful! I can relate to it much more than I should.

(06-12-2014 04:38 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  That was cool Big Grin I'd actually do some base jumping of my own, like at 2:50, if it was that slow a free fall!

The guy who made it has a website where he explains that it would actually be like this because of the gravity there. Awesome, right? Smile

-Guybrush Threepwood-
06-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Moving. Thank you.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-12-2014, 05:46 PM
(06-12-2014 04:46 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(06-12-2014 04:35 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Thanks for sharing. Sagan says something about not being able to articulate the calling to wander. I think this comes damn close.

That is so beautiful! I can relate to it much more than I should.

(06-12-2014 04:38 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  That was cool Big Grin I'd actually do some base jumping of my own, like at 2:50, if it was that slow a free fall!

The guy who made it has a website where he explains that it would actually be like this because of the gravity there. Awesome, right? Smile

If his website has more space exploration vids, link it! TBH it's the absence of crosses is what makes me long to travel to those planets, and places! Blush

07-12-2014, 03:59 AM
(06-12-2014 05:46 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(06-12-2014 04:46 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  That is so beautiful! I can relate to it much more than I should.

If his website has more space exploration vids, link it! TBH it's the absence of crosses is what makes me long to travel to those planets, and places! Blush

Sadly, he doesn't have anything similar Sad

I hope he will make more like this in the future.

-Guybrush Threepwood-
07-12-2014, 04:52 AM
(06-12-2014 05:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  Moving. Thank you.

Where to?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-12-2014, 08:02 AM
(07-12-2014 04:52 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-12-2014 05:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  Moving. Thank you.

Where to?

Europa.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
08-12-2014, 05:24 AM
That was, almost exactly, what I was hoping to get from Interstelar.

Thank you UGP. It was an absolute joy.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 1 user Likes Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post