Wanna debate a math problem?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2012, 04:42 PM
RE: Wanna debate a math problem?
(23-02-2012 04:36 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  All possible combinations : BB BG GB GG

The older child is a girl rules out BB and BG leaving 2 possibilities so the chance 50%.

One of the children is a boy rules out GG leaving 3 possibilities so the chance is 33.3%

Well crap... it was so simple... now I feel stupid.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
23-02-2012, 04:47 PM
(23-02-2012 04:36 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  All possible combinations : BB BG GB GG

The older child is a girl rules out BB and BG leaving 2 possibilities so the chance 50%.

One of the children is a boy rules out GG leaving 3 possibilities so the chance is 33.3%

I see. Misinterpretation on my part. I forgot to account for the fact that we already know one of the children is a boy. I was reading as if we were figuring what the chances of having 2 boys is.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
23-02-2012, 04:55 PM
You couldn't figure it out from the example I gave?

Gee... next time I give you the answer, I'll leave my vagina home. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
23-02-2012, 05:03 PM
(23-02-2012 04:55 PM)kim Wrote:  You couldn't figure it out from the example I gave?

Gee... next time I give you the answer, I'll leave my vagina home. Dodgy

Your vagina should be in the kitchen where it belongs.

[Image: coolface.jpg]

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
23-02-2012, 05:10 PM
[Image: 1.gif]

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
23-02-2012, 05:15 PM
(23-02-2012 05:10 PM)kim Wrote:  [Image: 1.gif]

I can't see most gifs at work. But I'll assume it's you blowing me a kiss. Will rep tomorrow.

-Mark Twain
23-02-2012, 11:31 PM
(23-02-2012 05:15 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(23-02-2012 05:10 PM)kim Wrote:  [Image: 1.gif]

I can't see most gifs at work. But I'll assume it's you blowing me a kiss. Will rep tomorrow.

That's exactly what it's doing.

Why is stats such a mindfuck?
24-02-2012, 12:16 AM

But why does order matter? IMO, from the initial question, GB = BG. There'd only be two options there - a family with one boy and one girl or a family with two boys. (GB/BG or BB). There isn't any reason from the initial question that the age of the children is a factor... I see where they are coming from, but unless order of birth is a part of the question, I don't see how it's adding an additional possibility besides boy + boy or boy + girl. It's a possible arrangement, but if we're just trying to guess the probability that both are male the order doesn't matter... Could we also throw in the possibility that one is a hermaphrodite? That one is transgender and identifies as a female, though born with male parts? You could make the probability quite low by adding "possible scenarios" like that...

Better without God, and happier too.
24-02-2012, 12:42 AM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2012 12:49 AM by kim.)
(24-02-2012 12:16 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  

But why does order matter? IMO, from the initial question, GB = BG. There'd only be two options there - a family with one boy and one girl or a family with two boys. (GB/BG or BB). There isn't any reason from the initial question that the age of the children is a factor... I see where they are coming from, but unless order of birth is a part of the question, I don't see how it's adding an additional possibility besides boy + boy or boy + girl. It's a possible arrangement, but if we're just trying to guess the probability that both are male the order doesn't matter... Could we also throw in the possibility that one is a hermaphrodite? That one is transgender and identifies as a female, though born with male parts? You could make the probability quite low by adding "possible scenarios" like that...

The question is about the number of possibilities that will go into this one choice.

In each group of two children, we already know one of those two is a boy. So...

We have the boy and a boy. This is one possibility.
We have the boy and a girl. This is one possibility.
We have the boy and a child of unknown sex -could be boy or girl. This is one possibility.

There are three possibilities for this one choice.
1/3 = 33.3%
Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
24-02-2012, 12:53 AM
(24-02-2012 12:42 AM)kim Wrote:  
(24-02-2012 12:16 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  

The question is about the number of possibilities that will go into this one choice.

In each group of two children, we already know one of those two is a boy. So...

We have the boy and a boy. This is one possibility.
We have the boy and a girl. This is one possibility.
We have the boy and a child of unknown sex -could be boy or girl. This is one possibility.

There are three possibilities for this one choice.
1/3 = 33.3%
Dodgy

But along the same logic, there's the possibility that the other child would be a hermaphrodite or transexual, so are we to include those too and make the probability 20% instead? (since hermaphrodite and transgender aren't "unknown sex") Or are we grouping them into "unknown sex" as an "other" category???

Better without God, and happier too.