Want a Canadian Swag Bag?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2015, 03:48 PM
RE: Want a Canadian Swag Bag?
(18-09-2015 04:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-09-2015 02:18 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  I don't even know how maple syrup is supposed to taste lol

Like heaven. Drinking Beverage

I bought some real maple syrup the other day. We had bacon and waffles. I guess I am too used to the super sweet fake syrup I grew up on, or maybe it was the brand.

At the risk of being disowned by my Canadian friends...I was kind of disappointed. Sadcryface

What kind to I need to get to give it another try?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-09-2015, 04:10 PM
I also was disappointed with the last batch I got Undecided Sold at the airport no less, in a pretty bottle. The bottle is cool, we kept that. The syrup was weak and watery, like some enterprising lad had decided that a fancy bottle and some food colouring would make him some quick bucks. The bastard.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-09-2015, 04:11 PM
(28-09-2015 04:10 PM)morondog Wrote:  I also was disappointed with the last batch I got Undecided Sold at the airport no less, in a pretty bottle. The bottle is cool, we kept that. The syrup was weak and watery, like some enterprising lad had decided that a fancy bottle and some food colouring would make him some quick bucks. The bastard.

I didn't even get a cool bottle. Weeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
28-09-2015, 06:35 PM
(28-09-2015 03:48 PM)Anjele Wrote:  At the risk of being disowned by my Canadian friends...I was kind of disappointed. Sadcryface
We had a meeting. We'll let you slide this time.

I don't live in Canada now, but I do miss the real stuff. This "maple syrup" I get here is just brown Karo.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
03-10-2015, 07:19 AM
Heh, yeah Anj, the Texas swag bag. Hobo I've always lived here and even I don't know what would go in it. Tongue

03-10-2015, 06:42 PM
(28-09-2015 03:48 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(18-09-2015 04:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  Like heaven. Drinking Beverage

I bought some real maple syrup the other day. We had bacon and waffles. I guess I am too used to the super sweet fake syrup I grew up on, or maybe it was the brand.

At the risk of being disowned by my Canadian friends...I was kind of disappointed. Sadcryface

There are different grades of maple syrup. The container should have the grade printed on it.

You probably have "Grade A Light Amber" which has a delicate flavor.
What you might look for is "Grade A Dark Amber" which has much more flavor.
In between those is "Grade A Medium Amber".

[Image: Grade_Chart_Today.jpg]
If it's Canadian, then you'd want "Canada No. 1 Medium" or "Canada No.2 Amber".

The light stuff is the first taken from the boil; the later it's drawn off, the darker it is.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-10-2015, 06:45 PM
(03-10-2015 06:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 03:48 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I bought some real maple syrup the other day. We had bacon and waffles. I guess I am too used to the super sweet fake syrup I grew up on, or maybe it was the brand.

There are different grades of maple syrup. The container should have the grade printed on it.

The light stuff is the first taken from the boil; the later it's drawn off, the darker it is.

Undecided The bottle says it's from Canada and that it's Grade A Dark Amber. I will have to try it again.

03-10-2015, 07:26 PM
(03-10-2015 06:45 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 06:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  There are different grades of maple syrup. The container should have the grade printed on it.

Undecided The bottle says it's from Canada and that it's Grade A Dark Amber. I will have to try it again.

I'm sorry: your taste buds have been irreparably damaged by corn syrup-based, artificially-flavored "table syrup". Weeping

Very sad. Sadcryface

Maple syrup has a more delicate flavor than those fakes. If you have good vanilla ice cream, make a sundae and don't skimp on the maple syrup.
Take your time, let it get soft and melty. The flavor should shine through.

03-10-2015, 07:29 PM
(03-10-2015 07:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 06:45 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Undecided The bottle says it's from Canada and that it's Grade A Dark Amber. I will have to try it again.

I'm sorry: your taste buds have been irreparably damaged by corn syrup-based, artificially-flavored "table syrup". Weeping

Very sad. Sadcryface

Maple syrup has a more delicate flavor than those fakes. If you have good vanilla ice cream, make a sundae and don't skimp on the maple syrup.

I will try that, I actually bought good quality vanilla ice cream today. Thumbsup

03-10-2015, 07:33 PM
(03-10-2015 07:29 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 07:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'm sorry: your taste buds have been irreparably damaged by corn syrup-based, artificially-flavored "table syrup". Weeping

Very sad. Sadcryface

I will try that, I actually bought good quality vanilla ice cream today. Thumbsup

One more thing: nuke the syrup before you pour it on the ice cream - 30 - 60 seconds if it's refrigerator temp.
Warm syrup is mo' betta - I nuke it before putting it on waffles or pancakes, too.

Edit: I'm eating a dish of vanilla ice cream with maple syrup right now. Yes

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post