War against Isis?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2015, 05:21 AM
War against Isis?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/11...62930.html

So looks like the US may be putting boots on the ground....albeit limited....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2015, 05:34 AM
RE: War against Isis?
Clap

'Murican Canadian
12-02-2015, 06:51 AM
We never learn.

We're going into a knockdown, no rules bar fight -- and we'll use the Marquess of Queensberry Rules.....

We should not engage a battle, that we're not willing to suffer the consequences of success.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
12-02-2015, 07:22 AM
War against Isis?
(12-02-2015 06:51 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  We never learn.

We're going into a knockdown, no rules bar fight -- and we'll use the Marquess of Queensberry Rules.....

We should not engage a battle, that we're not willing to suffer the consequences of success.

So true. Unfortunately the American public does not have the stomach for what needs to be done.
12-02-2015, 08:21 AM
Quote:So looks like the US may be putting boots on the ground

The US armed forces got a mother too huh?

"Muffs, come and get your god damn shoes off the table! Shoes belong on the floor, not the table!"
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
12-02-2015, 09:38 AM
Hmm... can't really say this wasn't expected, ISL has done everything they can to fuck shit up. They've appointed themselves planet troll... and guess who thinks they have the biggest ban hammer? Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 7 users Like kim's post
12-02-2015, 11:31 AM
War against Isis?
(12-02-2015 09:38 AM)kim Wrote:  Hmm... can't really say this wasn't expected, ISL has done everything they can to fuck shit up. They've appointed themselves planet troll... and guess who thinks they have the biggest ban hammer? Drinking Beverage

This is a very serious matter, but your response made me laugh so hard I had coffee coming out of my nose!! Thanks for the laugh! :-)
[+] 2 users Like Typhon's post
12-02-2015, 11:35 AM
(12-02-2015 07:22 AM)Typhon Wrote:  So true. Unfortunately the American public does not have the stomach for what needs to be done.

But what needs to be done? A full-scale ground war to eradicate ... what, exactly?

I think recent experience makes clear that, just as in the case of Saddam and, in a European example, Josip Broz Tito, sometimes an iron fist is required to hold together nations with artificial boundaries imposed by outside forces. Insurgencies, old tribal, religious or cultural antagonisms — that stuff's hard to really bottle up.

By which I mean to say, the only way for the United States to do this, IMO, would be a long-term occupation. But there are costs to that and in a changing world, America doesn't have the luxury of doing such things.

Quick, true story: In Australia in December 2013, I was surprised to read letters to the editor and news stories, and have conversations with many people, about fears of war with Indonesia over the issue of "boat people." The essential attitude was, "Well, we don't always like what the U.S. does, but we have to kiss their ass. After all, *they* will be the ones to save us if Indonesia declares war."

In the cause of self-interest, the United States happily took over the responsibility for the defense of scores of nations post WWII. But them days are over.

I'd like to see the U.S. turn to its allies — all of them, from Saudi to Australia, France to Japan — and say, "We had the luxury over the past 70 years or so of enormously subsidizing your taxpayers in providing for their defense. We will stand behind you to uphold alliances, but you must now take on more of the cost and consequences of your own defense."

This, in turn, could lead to "neighborhood" powers beginning to police themselves, rather than so much American blood and treasure being expended.

It'd be nice to think the U.S. could bail on the worst of its allies — Saudi comes to mine — but realpolitik, as they say, is a thing. Too many liberals criticize the U.S. for being in bed with Roosevelt's proverbial "sons of bitches" while at the same time pointing fingers at ugly forces like ISIS. Assad is a monster, but the U.S. doesn't have much of a card to play in that game at the moment.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post
12-02-2015, 11:43 AM
What needs to be done???

We're fighting an asymmetric war. We operate under constraints the other side feels no compulsion to follow.

For us to win this war - we will have to do many things with which we will not be comfortable in doing.

They take hostages. So too should we. Take their women and children. It's how they work.

They mutilate and kill hostages. We need to accept this as part and parcel in the conflict - and we will need to match their atrocities with something they find equally reprehensible.

We're going to have to seriously piss people off. Sorry, no way around it, except surrendering and that's unacceptable.

I'm all for castration of any ISIS cretin we capture.

That would be a good start.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
12-02-2015, 11:50 AM
(12-02-2015 11:31 AM)Typhon Wrote:  This is a very serious matter, but your response made me laugh so hard I had coffee coming out of my nose!! Thanks for the laugh! :-)

You're welcome! I love it when stuff comes out of people's noses.
Wish I was there. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein