War against Isis?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2015, 11:51 AM
War against Isis?
I truly wish I had the answers. Every avenue we could take has pitfalls, road blocks and suffering. There is no easy answer. One thing we all could agree upon is how these extremists are using their god as justification for commuting these atrocities.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2015, 11:52 AM
War against Isis?
(12-02-2015 11:50 AM)kim Wrote:  
(12-02-2015 11:31 AM)Typhon Wrote:  This is a very serious matter, but your response made me laugh so hard I had coffee coming out of my nose!! Thanks for the laugh! :-)

You're welcome! I love it when stuff comes out of people's noses.
Wish I was there. Shy

Well, you should be very proud. I'm in the main library on campus when it happened. Plenty of people got to see it. Luckily I had my computer on the side, but one of my text books received a new coloring. Lol
[+] 2 users Like Typhon's post
12-02-2015, 11:53 AM
RE: War against Isis?
(12-02-2015 11:43 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  They take hostages. So too should we. Take their women and children. It's how they work.

They mutilate and kill hostages. We need to accept this as part and parcel in the conflict - and we will need to match their atrocities with something they find equally reprehensible.

We're going to have to seriously piss people off.

Well, count me as one of those Americans who can't "stomach" the idea that our strategy should include kidnapping, mutilating and killing non-combatants.

I think it's not really a matter of just "pissing people off." I understand the impulse to fight fire with fire, but matching a brutal enemy's worst instincts would not seem to bode well for the long run for any party. Call me a pussy, just IMO.

I guess, in the end, that I don't think my life or "way of life" worth stooping to such atrocities in my name. Not that I think the IS has any chance of actually endangering the United States in a significant way; harm, certainly, but not an existential threat.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post
12-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Every time they kidnap someone, we should send ten times their ransom in weapons to Israel.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
12-02-2015, 12:46 PM
(12-02-2015 12:35 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Every time they kidnap someone, we should send ten times their ransom in weapons to Israel.
And then 100 times that will join their cause.

They will do it again and again just to get US to openly support Israel in order to get more Muslims to hate USA so much that the they all will want to join the fight against the west.

Escalate, escalate, escalate.
12-02-2015, 01:26 PM
So. Looks like ... hmm ... a secret army of thousands to infiltrate, armed with hypodermics to silently bring down anyone on the path to the core of this malignant group.
?

Just a thought. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
12-02-2015, 01:45 PM
(12-02-2015 12:35 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Every time they kidnap someone, we should send ten times their ransom in weapons to Israel.

Nah, just pay the ransom in bacon and pork bellies. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
12-02-2015, 02:27 PM
(12-02-2015 12:46 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
And then 100 times that will join their cause.

They will do it again and again just to get US to openly support Israel in order to get more Muslims to hate USA so much that the they all will want to join the fight against the west.

Escalate, escalate, escalate.

What a fantastic idea! Make the target larger! ISIS eventually recruits the entire middle east. Then complete eradication requires less finesse and precision! Genius!
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
12-02-2015, 02:36 PM
(12-02-2015 11:53 AM)claywise Wrote:  
(12-02-2015 11:43 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  They take hostages. So too should we. Take their women and children. It's how they work.

They mutilate and kill hostages. We need to accept this as part and parcel in the conflict - and we will need to match their atrocities with something they find equally reprehensible.

We're going to have to seriously piss people off.

Well, count me as one of those Americans who can't "stomach" the idea that our strategy should include kidnapping, mutilating and killing non-combatants.

I think it's not really a matter of just "pissing people off." I understand the impulse to fight fire with fire, but matching a brutal enemy's worst instincts would not seem to bode well for the long run for any party. Call me a pussy, just IMO.

I guess, in the end, that I don't think my life or "way of life" worth stooping to such atrocities in my name. Not that I think the IS has any chance of actually endangering the United States in a significant way; harm, certainly, but not an existential threat.

I'm in agreement, and you're not a pussy. We don't stoop to their level of being monsters to stop them because that would make us monsters and no better than them.

I'm partial to some form of military action against them to stop them, but not kidnapping them.
12-02-2015, 02:42 PM
If only there were some way to instantly sterilise (but otherwise not harm) an entire continent...