War against Isis?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2015, 06:32 PM
RE: War against Isis?
(13-02-2015 12:09 PM)kim Wrote:  Just heard that ISIL is on the outskirts of a US military base and they've taken a nearby town.

It may be a hairy weekend. Undecided

A little more on this.
8 suicide bombers killed

To summarize...
8 dumb shits (also known as suicide bombers) tried to infiltrate the air base on the outskirts of the above referenced city, and were promptly removed from this plane of existence without ever getting anywhere near the US personnel, primarily by IDF. I talk shit about the Iraqi army, but good job guys.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2015, 08:58 PM
And guess who else is getting back into the game? Japan has been building up and talking of changing it's constitution, which currently allows only a defense force, to allow it to be a bigger player in world affairs and to counter what it considers to be a threat from China. In the wake of the execution of the Japanese hostages, it will now likely have the support it needs to do so.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
15-02-2015, 10:30 AM
This could be the second good thing Obama has done, after the Affordable Care Act. It seems like everything else he has done has been a major fuck-up.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
15-02-2015, 11:24 AM
(12-02-2015 12:46 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(12-02-2015 12:35 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Every time they kidnap someone, we should send ten times their ransom in weapons to Israel.
And then 100 times that will join their cause.

They will do it again and again just to get US to openly support Israel in order to get more Muslims to hate USA so much that the they all will want to join the fight against the west.

Escalate, escalate, escalate.

When escalation is inevitable ( I believe it is ) it is better that it happens sooner then later.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
16-02-2015, 08:05 AM
What Isis is doing very wrong and I think, what will come to haunt them, is that they are killing lots of people in islamic states.

If the islamic states get angry enough, isis is done.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
16-02-2015, 08:30 AM
This just in ....

Quote:Egypt's military has said it carried out air strikes against Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) targets in Libya, a day after the group released a video appearing to show the beheading of 21 Egyptians there.
In a statement aired on state television, the military said the attacks were carried out at dawn on Monday.
The attacks focused on ISIL camps, training sites and weapons storage areas across Egypt's border in Libya, where armed groups have thrived amid chaos, the statement said.
We affirm that avenging Egyptian blood and retaliating against criminals and killers is a duty we must carry out.
Egyptian military, statement
"The air strikes hit their targets precisely, and the falcons of our air forces returned safely to their bases," the military's statement said.
Libyan jets loyal to the official government also took part in the air strikes, an official said on Monday.
"More air strikes will be carried out today and tomorrow in
coordination with Egypt," commander Saqer al-Joroushi told al-Arabiya television.

This is good - it will give Egypt's military something to do. I think they've been itching for anything since Mubarak was removed.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/egypt-s-a...OH_YShZFBU

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/02/eg...39037.html

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
16-02-2015, 09:59 PM
Everyone keeps talking about being the better people, but I don't even give shit anymore. After they released that video I think all IS prisoners ought to be tortured for information and the killed in the most painful way possible. Even that is better than they deserve.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
17-02-2015, 10:33 AM
(16-02-2015 09:59 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  Everyone keeps talking about being the better people, but I don't even give shit anymore. After they released that video I think all IS prisoners ought to be tortured for information and the killed in the most painful way possible. Even that is better than they deserve.

I wouldn't personally give a shit if they were burned alive, and I will never claim to be better than anyone else unless it is specified that better and worse is being defined specifically by my own opinion of what good and bad actually is. My sense of morality won't be damaged if we send their mutilated corpses to their 72 virgins in smoldering burnt pieces. My concern is more tactical.

There's a section of the Art of War that discusses the concept of sending your own own troops to battle with their backs against the wall, so to speak. Historically, a common way of discussing this philosophy is through a story of which I've seen similar versions in various cultures in which a general goes to attack a port city with some inadequately trained soldiers who don't particularly want to be there. To ensure they achieve their objective, the general burns his own ships upon landing, creating a situation in which the only avenue to resupply and get ships to return home to their families is to conquer said city.

With most people, the 3% rule applies. Meaning a small portion will aggressively take up arms and fight when they believe they have been wronged, while the vast majority will always take the route that provides the best chance of their survival no matter how dire the situation may seem. If you put them in a situation where there is no avenue of retreat, or even create that perception artificially, even the most cowardly will fight like cornered lions.

ISIS is committing strategic suicide by presenting a situation to its adversaries in which they know, without a doubt, that no quarters will be given. They fight to the bitter end, or they get tortured to death. Groups like the Kurds have quickly transformed into a caliber of fighters that a year ago would have been thought impossible precisely because ISIS hasn't given them any other choice.

One of the reasons German General Erwin Rommel was so successful is that he was both ruthless in combat against his enemies and consistently civil towards those who surrendered to him. His adversaries were thus presented with two choices. Either fight to the death against an elite army with a reputation for crushing its enemies, or surrender and sit out the rest of the war under the protection of a fair captor. Hitler used a slightly different version of the same concept. He wanted to kill as many Jews as possible, so he presented the illusion of a way out by using techniques like gas chambers disguised as showers. With the illusion of a way out, resistance was minimal. Had he simply ordered his soldiers to attack and kill all Jews on site, the inevitable result would have been near complete resistance and the immediate creation of an additional internal front line in the form of a guerrilla force whose only option for survival is victory in battle.

In that regards, though I'm not necessarily suggesting that we arrest these little shits and then send them home, the most rational course of action would be to at least present the image that there is a way out that doesn't involve being executed by their current leadership or tortured by a vengeful enemy who is pissed off at watching its own people get tortured. Let it be known that they can surrender any time and be treated fairly (though not so fairly that we simply let them go the next week). If we want to execute them later, take them somewhere private and do it quiet so as not to spoil the illusion for those who still might be considering dropping their arms.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
17-02-2015, 05:35 PM
Except the fact that you forget they're fanatics. They want to die, they would rather die than give up their cause.
To which I say we oblige.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
24-02-2015, 04:45 PM
(12-02-2015 02:49 PM)yakherder Wrote:  If we do capture them, then let it be as prisoners of war who remain in relatively isolated confinement until the end of hostilities (if that happens to be the rest of their lives, so be it), and not as inmates who then go through a civilianish court process that is ill equipped to aid in the winning of a war.

Perhaps we could persuade the French to reopen Devil's island.

On a more serious note, I am convinced that we need to fight a war of ideas. A good way to proceed is to ridicule Mohammad. The problem, no matter what Ben Affleck believes, is that the Quran and the Hadiths are the "motherlodes of bad ideas".

Even a cursory reading of the Quran gives me the impression that it was written by a schizophrenic 10-year old. It's little wonder that Mohammad married a six-year old girl--he evidently did not want to be out-thought by a woman.

For anyone to be a moderate Muslim, they need to ignore half of what the Quran prescribes.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.