War and Peace

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2012, 09:41 PM
War and Peace
Go none atheist books!

I read this book a few months ago, and have lost some of its meaning but one idea resonates.

The part of how serfs may be happier than the nobles because the serfs have a simple life, and are not troubled with such things as education and court affairs.

So what do you think of this? Is it better to simply live a simple life without knowing anything better than what you have known? Or is it better to be educated and understand the world, including of how god is not truly there?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2012, 04:23 AM
RE: War and Peace

The closest I've come; I'm such an illiterate. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-03-2012, 12:08 PM
War and Peace resonated with me because of his fataistic view of the broad sweeps of history. All the soldiers were thinking, "why are we doing this"...and just kept doing it ! We live close to Camp Pendelton. Lots of military. Nothing has changed.

The angry gods require sacrifice. Now get outside and slay them a goat. Cadet in Terse But Deadly
[+] 1 user Likes San Onofre Surfer's post
26-03-2012, 12:42 PM
(25-03-2012 09:41 PM)itsacow Wrote:  Go none atheist books!

I read this book a few months ago, and have lost some of its meaning but one idea resonates.

The part of how serfs may be happier than the nobles because the serfs have a simple life, and are not troubled with such things as education and court affairs.

So what do you think of this? Is it better to simply live a simple life without knowing anything better than what you have known? Or is it better to be educated and understand the world, including of how god is not truly there?
It's better for the species to have everyone educated. It's better for a few people if only a few are educated. If you are happy in a life of servitude, it's possible you don't know anything else. Do you know that all the serfs were happy, or maybe that is slightly skewed because they couldn't write. How can we know how they are feeling unless they are educated enough to tell us. It reminds me of women in some societies that we say suppress human rights for them. Often they live in a bubble and don't see anything else, and many times are happy with the only life they know of. What happens when they become educated though? Do they become uncomfortable being in a bubble that they aren't allowed to escape when the men around them can go where they please without restraint from the looks of it? Is it possible that if the serfs knew they could have more rights they wouldn't be so happy with the servitude? What do you think they might write in those books? This reminds me of what they also said of slaves in the US when they were trying to free them. What did the ones say that were educated enough to write? Did they love being in servitude that they couldn't leave? Some thought so. Is it possible that was the same as that time?

Reality can be unforgiving, but if we are trying to improve it, it's necessary to know what we are improving. Should a small group of people be driving the improvement, or should we as a community try to figure out how to work together to improve? It's complicated, but little by little we have to keep pushing forward.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
06-04-2012, 02:00 PM
My favorite book (yes I asked to be cremated with my copy). Have read it three times (and have it on my kindle for a fourth read). Tolstoy brought in so many ideas and levels to his story that at each read, I find something different. As noted earlier, the idea of mass delusion of the military despite the fact that all involved were aware that everything happening didn't make any sense. They could have walked away and ended the blood shed, but didn't. Also, the idea of happiness through others, religion, station, excess were all explored and discarded. Tolstoy seemed to hint at existentialism despite his overt faith. Last but not least are the characters of Natasha, Pierre and Andre as avatars for Russia, its future and its past.
18-04-2012, 01:52 AM
I'll do you one better, African slaves.

Talk about a simple and luxuries life. Travel expenses paid for, free room, free food, outdoor exercise. No need hassling with money, or edu-ma-cation. Ah, the simple life.

I never finished War and Peace, but if the book did have some sort of political statement saying that slavery was pleasant, than that is beyond idiotic.