Warm blooded fish

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2015, 04:54 AM
RE: Warm blooded fish
(19-05-2015 04:38 AM)Dan Wrote:  So, I'm just understanding this for the first time. The genetic mutations that bring about change must happen in the eggs or the sperm? I guess if dna in any other cell mutated it wouldn't be passed along. So gamete formation is the only place the mutations that matter happen?

Any time DNA or RNA is duplicated there is a chance for a copying error to occur. Sexual reproduction allows for greater variation by blending 2 sets of chromosomes together allowing offspring to have greater variety than if you were to just clone yourself asexually. More change, greater variety, more chances for duplication and mutations to occur, which greatly speeds up (on a geologic timescale) the rate of evolution; provided there are environmental pressures in place.

Things that affect you can potentially affect your reproduction, but many other things will not. If you lose a leg to an accidnet, your child will not be any more likely to be born with a leg defect.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2015, 05:12 AM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2015 05:16 AM by Chas.)
(19-05-2015 04:38 AM)Dan Wrote:  So, I'm just understanding this for the first time. The genetic mutations that bring about change must happen in the eggs or the sperm? I guess if dna in any other cell mutated it wouldn't be passed along. So gamete formation is the only place the mutations that matter happen?

Not quite.

Mutation can occur in the zygote (the diploid cell resulting from the fusion of two haploid gametes) during fusion and subsequent division.

Every time DNA is copied there is a significant chance for mutation.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-05-2015, 05:18 AM
(18-05-2015 07:29 PM)Dan Wrote:  That could be 20 million years with no evo?

Not really.

Natural selection is always operating. If the environment remains constant, the selection pressure is to maintain the status quo. Changes to the organism are more likely to be deleterious.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-05-2015, 05:49 AM
Warm blooded fish
(19-05-2015 04:54 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

Any time DNA or RNA is duplicated there is a chance for a copying error to occur. Sexual reproduction allows for greater variation by blending 2 sets of chromosomes together allowing offspring to have greater variety than if you were to just clone yourself asexually. More change, greater variety, more chances for duplication and mutations to occur, which greatly speeds up (on a geologic timescale) the rate of evolution; provided there are environmental pressures in place.

Things that affect you can potentially affect your reproduction, but many other things will not. If you lose a leg to an accidnet, your child will not be any more likely to be born with a leg defect.

EvoKills, so I think you're saying that something could happen to a male fish that would affect all of its sperm, or a whole batch of its sperm? Maybe temp change in the water makes a batch that all have the same mutation?
19-05-2015, 05:51 AM
Warm blooded fish
Chas, good point. I could see a mutation in the zygote being represented in the adult organism, and then passed along to its offspring.
19-05-2015, 04:16 PM
(18-05-2015 10:37 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  All well and good -- but let's get to the important part ----

Is it red meat - and how's it taste?????

Big Grin

I actually had some a couple weeks ago. It's occasionally caught off the coast where I live in So. Cal.
And it is one of the best tasting fish. A lot like swordfish.
[+] 1 user Likes OceanTherapist's post
19-05-2015, 04:25 PM
(19-05-2015 04:16 PM)Ocean theRAPIST Wrote:  
(18-05-2015 10:37 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  All well and good -- but let's get to the important part ----

Is it red meat - and how's it taste?????

Big Grin

I actually had some a couple weeks ago. It's occasionally caught off the coast where I live in So. Cal.
And it is one of the best tasting fish. A lot like swordfish.

NICE!!!

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.