Warriors Philosophy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Warriors Philosophy
Warrior Philosophy

Throughout history there have been many philosophies developed to regulate the behaviour of those within society deemed warriors. The more well known of these philosophies are the codes of Chivalry from Europe and Bushido from Japan. Many have been influenced by the social mores of the culture in which these warriors lived. Through most, though, run a common core of attributes that define how a warrior is expected to live his/her life.

The Way of the Modern Warrior follows these attributes :

COURAGE __ The warrior faces his or her fears. There are many things we are afraid of; fear of failure, fear of looking a fool, fear of getting hurt. Well, that is natural- but, the warrior has to learn to acknowledge that he/she is feeling fear because that is all it is, a feeling. Recognise where the feeling is coming from and why and then it is possible to overcome the fear. We can then face the challenges of life and do those things we would wish to.

HONESTY __ The warrior is honest in all he/she does. Honest with others and, most importantly, honest with his/herself. In dealing with others always do so in the spirit of truth - the idea of things as they truly are- as there is no value in fooling others (yes, the little white lie is still acceptable in the right circumstances, which leads us to the next attribute).

COMPASSION __ The warrior has an open heart. He/she helps others at every opportunity. The warrior considers the idea of hurting others needlessly abominable.

COURTESY __ The warrior has respect for others. In his/her dealings with people the warrior exhibits politeness and regard for others. This applies to all the warrior comes in contact with; whether friend, enemy or stranger.

SINCERITY __ The warrior is sincere in all he/she does and says. He/she will endeavour to keep any promise given. Any act that the warrior says he/she will do, will be done. Speaking and doing are the same action.

LOYALTY __ The warrior is intensely loyal to those in his/her care. The warrior remains true to those that depend on him/her. The only exceptions being those that would cause the warrior to give up the next, and last, attribute.

HONOUR __ The warrior is always conscious of his/her honour. How a warrior behaves is a reflection of who he/she is. The other attributes are the actions that allow the warrior to have honour, it is the state that defines the warrior. No warrior would allow his/herself to be involved in anything that would bring dishonour on his/herself.

Any thoughts?

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2010, 09:28 PM

RE: Warriors Philosophy
War in the abstract is one thing. War in reality is quite another. There's little honor or glory in real war. War is ugly, without honor, and brutal. I know. I've been there.
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2010, 06:52 AM
(01-09-2010 09:28 PM)2buckchuck Wrote:  War in the abstract is one thing. War in reality is quite another. There's little honor or glory in real war. War is ugly, without honor, and brutal. I know. I've been there.

Back in the days this would have been applied by most warriors, conquest was the only real pursuit soldiers could live for.
but lets modernize this philosophy a bit shall we?

COURAGE: this is obvious, face your fears, and don't let them stop you from doing the things you really want to do, or things you feel you should do.
example: I am afraid of heights, is it going to stop me from skydiving or rock climbing? No, because I know that although fear may be a powerful feeling it can not do any harm to you physically or otherwise.

HONESTY: lying doesn't help in a lot of cases, granted sometimes its better than the truth for some people but its still frowned upon by most.

COMPASSION: There should never be any justification needed to helping someone, I understand that sometimes things are out of our control but it is still generally considered a good thing to help people where you can.

COURTESY & SINCERITY: I group these together because I feel they go hand in hand.
Is it not a good virtue to try to be kind and understanding to others?

LOYALTY: this one is obvious.

HONOUR: It is maintaining ones own image, since most see me as a generally smart and well mannered individual I do my best to portray myself as such.

I understand where you're coming from 2buckchuck, I myself am in the Canadian reserves and have seen friends and family come back from Afghanistan pretty shaken up. May I ask what military experience you have? I don't doubt you I am just curious.
These warrior codes are written based off of the attitude of the warriors of that time, and although now some of these groups may seem malicious and vile these are still good virtues to live by and can easily be applied to day to day life.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

02-09-2010, 07:10 AM

Army. Vietnam 1970
02-09-2010, 01:22 PM

I would say your list could be true, but would apply only to the unit the soldier is assigned to. Courtesy to the enemy? Like hell. I will fight like hell to protect my buddies because they will fight like hell to protect me. The enemy? I would blow away anyone that I perceive to be an enemy, anyone that would cause harm to me or my unit. However, I'm 50+ and am no longer in the Army.

There is no chivalry is war. That veneer ended after WWI. Some of it hung on in the European theater during WWII, but it completely disappeared during the Korean war. 2buckchuck is correct, war has always been an ugly nasty business. For the most part I am disgusted with the "normal" American's reaction to war. It's like they are seeing a story about the weather. I have become a real fan of embedded news crews. This brings the "real" action to the family dinner and it all started with Vietnam. The more people know how brutal war really is, the more we'll all really think before we send our kids off to do it...I hope.
02-09-2010, 01:58 PM
(02-09-2010 01:22 PM)Michael R Wrote:  I would say your list could be true, but would apply only to the unit the soldier is assigned to. Courtesy to the enemy? Like hell. I will fight like hell to protect my buddies because they will fight like hell to protect me. The enemy? I would blow away anyone that I perceive to be an enemy, anyone that would cause harm to me or my unit. However, I'm 50+ and am no longer in the Army.

There is no chivalry is war. That veneer ended after WWI. Some of it hung on in the European theater during WWII, but it completely disappeared during the Korean war. 2buckchuck is correct, war has always been an ugly nasty business. For the most part I am disgusted with the "normal" American's reaction to war. It's like they are seeing a story about the weather. I have become a real fan of embedded news crews. This brings the "real" action to the family dinner and it all started with Vietnam. The more people know how brutal war really is, the more we'll all really think before we send our kids off to do it...I hope.

I agree with the both of you.
"humans did not create war but perfect it" - unknown
It seems a little bit like some of you aren't completely taking in my comments, I am not condoning war or violence except as a means of self defense, which thankfully in Canada we haven't had to actively defend ourselves since... the last time the US attacked us before WW1?
Granted I think both the US and Canada are going about things the wrong way, we're both pretty well scapegoating a nation that doesn't even have the military infrastructure to launch an attack, but I can see why Canada is in Afghanistan, we're working very hard to train the Afghan national army so they won't need us there anymore to ward off Taliban incursions.

These are attributes you can apply to social interactions though, that is why I follow them, I don't let others intimidate me, I am as honest as I can be, I help anyone that I happen to stumble across that I am capable of helping, I am respectful and courteous to those around me, I am loyal to those who are in good graces with me, and I do my best to maintain this image of respectability and integrity.

03-09-2010, 05:21 AM

I humbly suggest that you take those values, and compare them to the "Army Values". They're pretty close.

But I have a problem with this, and that's the same problem 2buckchuck had on the political thread: It's a way of pigeonholing people or beliefs.

most of those beliefs are situationally dependent, as Michael R said.

And, when you start setting beliefs out in a row, you come close to creating a belief system. Those can be dangerous.

(negative thoughts and whining removed by post's author)

Not that these are bad beliefs, but I feel that if someone has to define your beliefs for you (like the Army has by putting them on cards and stickers and slideshows), then your parents, society and your Drill Sergeants have failed you.
01-11-2010, 11:21 AM

The most important attributes that Warriors should poses is loyalty and courage. Most warriors mind set is that they are fighting for their country or for the cause they support. Either way for warrior whatever they support in their mind it is the right thing. In olden days warriors used to be a class of their own. Warriors or modern day soldiers has seen less compact than most warriors in the olden days.
01-11-2010, 12:53 PM
(01-11-2010 11:21 AM)kinley Wrote:  Warriors or modern day soldiers has seen less compact than most warriors in the olden days.

-I assume you mean combat-
very true, firearms has made war far less brutal than it could be, albeit theres still blood shed but its not as gruesome as charging enemy ranks and hacking or bludgeoning anything that isn't flying your colours.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Synthesis of Religious Philosophy Rinpoche 17 212 02-07-2014 08:09 PM
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird
  Critique My Philosophy of Life? Philosofer123 48 1,548 18-02-2014 08:33 PM
Last Post: Chippy
  Semantic wars on Hemlock Island (or how I got banned from a philosophy forum) Luminon 15 509 21-01-2014 04:20 PM
Last Post: Luminon
  Philosophy book recommendations natachan 9 249 09-01-2014 07:17 AM
Last Post: Khare
  Can I get some opinions on a philosophy project? Penumbrae 5 349 20-11-2013 09:10 AM
Last Post: Penumbrae
  Is Quantum Mechanics a Science, Philosophy or Religion, or some new age mix of all 3? I and I 55 4,780 18-11-2013 11:25 AM
Last Post: brokensymmetry
  Beginners Philosophy Monster_Riffs 4 288 11-11-2013 06:56 PM
Last Post: Monster_Riffs