Was 9/11 an inside job?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2014, 08:41 PM
RE: Was 9/11 an inside job?
(20-02-2014 03:30 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 03:09 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  We don't, we live in a Republic.

I don't understand American politics. "Republic" and "Democracy" are the same word in Greek (and I'm pretty sure they are the same thing etymologically too).

I'm confused.

They also mean precisely the same thing in American English, especially as applied to the American political system. Feel free to substitute either or both with their true meaning: "douchebag".

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2014, 10:12 PM
(20-02-2014 03:54 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 03:40 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  In a republic the group only has advisory powers; the sovereign individual is free to reject the majority group-think.

I don't understand how this is applied in practice and I can see it's the only actual difference (which kinda makes the distinction stupid since the words mean the exact same thing Tongue ).

A comparison of Australia and the USA is a good way do demonstrate the difference.

In a republic such as the USA the sovereignty of the individual is represented in the final authority of the constitution and the rights it gives to American citizens. The United States Bill of Rights grants certain rights that the government of the day cannot just legislate away because it holds a majority.

Contrast Australia which has no bill of rights or equivalent. The only constitutional protections the individual has IIRC are the right to just compensation in the event that the state seizes real estate, e.g. to build a highway, freedom of religion and the right to vote. Everything else is up for grabs. If a political party wins majorities in both houses of the legislature it can do pretty much what it likes outside of those specfic rights I listed. If the government holds an absolute majority it can repeal all rights to own firearms and it can constrain freedom of speech and organisation. The various state governments have actually restricted freedom of organisation in the case of "outlaw motorcycle gangs" (OMG). In the case of the USA the First Amendment to the United States Constitution protects freedom of assembly, organisation and association so if a USA government did enact an anti-OMG law there would be an obvious case against such a law. Since there is no such constitutional right in Australia the OMGs don't have a clear position from which to challenge such a law. They can mount a High Court challenge but their case is weak because the government is not in breach of the Australian constitution and it can repeal any law which is an impediment.

In a democracy minorities have no protection. The will of the mob translates to a party holding majorities in the legislature(s) and via this representative majority it can enact whatever laws it likes. In a republic, minorities are protected from the will of the mob by some document or person which stands separate from the legislature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-02-2014, 10:33 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2014 11:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-02-2014 07:33 PM)max_payne Wrote:  Hey everyone check out this documentary on 9/11. What do you all think?

Al Qaeda is a covert operation inside the CIA whose only purpose is to create mayhem at the whim of The Man. I thought everybody just already knew that shit. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
20-02-2014, 11:11 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2014 11:16 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Actually the US is a democratic republic. It's both. They knew why they chose this form of government, and discussed the tyranny of the majority, and it's threat to individual rights. The word "politeia" is not the same as the Greek word for democracy. δημοκρατία, is a combo of the words for people and power.

Anyone who listened to the idiots on the air-traffic system trying to figure out where what plane was, when, and the all the confusion that Colleen Rawley exposed in the FBI, and what the idiots at Logan didn't do, would know the government couldn't get it's socks on in the morning without help, much less run a conspiracy which involved getting young men from Saudi Arabia to move to the US, train as pilots, and give up their lives. It's not even in the realm of possibility.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
20-02-2014, 11:34 PM
(20-02-2014 11:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Actually the US is a democratic republic. It's both. They knew why they chose this form of government, and discussed the tyranny of the majority, and it's threat to individual rights. The word "politeia" is not the same as the Greek word for democracy. δημοκρατία, is a combo of the words for people and power.

Anyone who listened to the idiots on the air-traffic system trying to figure out where what plane was, when, and the all the confusion that Colleen Rawley exposed in the FBI, and what the idiots at Logan didn't do, would know the government couldn't get it's socks on in the morning without help, much less run a conspiracy which involved getting young men from Saudi Arabia to move to the US, train as pilots, and give up their lives. It's not even in the realm of possibility.

Right. America is a constitutional federal republic with the government operating as a representative democracy through our congress. The important distinction is that the USA is not operated democratically, but rather by representatives who come to power by democractic process. This was an essential and subtle fundamental of the constitution: The US is not a true democracy that could amount to mob rule, but a representative democracy in which our leaders act in the constituents' interests.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
21-02-2014, 12:24 PM
(18-02-2014 07:33 PM)max_payne Wrote:  Hey everyone check out this documentary on 9/11. What do you all think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quTifldhH-g

Here's what I think:
You've got to be kidding me! Weeping

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
21-02-2014, 12:44 PM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2014 02:26 PM by Impulse.)
(19-02-2014 06:47 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  As you can see from what I just said, the US don't need anything more to be damaged and distrusted. Considering also all the wars you've started, everyone hates your country already Drinking Beverage
I don't mind admitting when the US really has screwed up and other parts of the world have the right to be angry about it. But, those screw ups aren't the only reason - far from it - why the US isn't liked in many parts of the world. Some other reasons include for example fabrications and misrepresentation of the facts, jealousy, there are always some who hate those with power, and we're not afraid to stand up against countries that would deal out bullshit. Does that make us perfect? No. Does that mean we can't and don't make mistakes? No. But it's fact that we're disliked for much more than we deserve to be disliked for. And how quickly much of the world forgets all the good that we do too.

Now about those wars. Besides the American Revolution and the American Civil War, (and maybe, if you stretch a little, the 2003 Iraq war) which wars did we start again? Cuz I don't see 2 to 3 wars being worthy of an "all the wars you've started" description. Drinking Beverage

Edit:
Edited to correct the person quoted. My apologies to Alexandro who I incorrectly quoted.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
21-02-2014, 01:58 PM
(21-02-2014 12:44 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 07:41 AM)Alexandro Wrote:  As you can see from what I just said, the US don't need anything more to be damaged and distrusted. Considering also all the wars you've started, everyone hates your country already Drinking Beverage
I don't mind admitting when the US really has screwed up and other parts of the world have the right to be angry about it. But, those screw ups aren't the only reason - far from it - why the US isn't liked in many parts of the world. Some other reasons include for example fabrications and misrepresentation of the facts, jealousy, there are always some who hate those with power, and we're not afraid to stand up against countries that would deal out bullshit. Does that make us perfect? No. Does that mean we can't and don't make mistakes? No. But it's fact that we're disliked for much more than we deserve to be disliked for. And how quickly much of the world forgets all the good that we do too.

Now about those wars. Besides the American Revolution and the American Civil War, (and maybe, if you stretch a little, the 2003 Iraq war) which wars did we start again? Cuz I don't see 2 to 3 wars being worthy of an "all the wars you've started" description. Drinking Beverage

Explain what good your country has done other than kill thousands upon thousands of innocent people in drone strikes. Your country is hated because your leaders are murderers. Not because of any "jealousy" Drinking Beverage

"Free the oil.... I mean people"

CLASSIFIED

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
21-02-2014, 02:19 PM
(21-02-2014 12:44 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 07:41 AM)Alexandro Wrote:  As you can see from what I just said, the US don't need anything more to be damaged and distrusted. Considering also all the wars you've started, everyone hates your country already Drinking Beverage

Hey, those are not my words! Please check your quotes. Gasp

The real gospel: Jesus went rogue and preached love instead of genocide. God got angry and went old testament style on Jesus's ass, setting him up to be tortured and killed. The End.
21-02-2014, 02:22 PM
Tell me I am NOT seeing a thread about 9/11 = inside job.

FML
LMAO
OMG

and a few more of thoseCensored

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 3 users Like WitchSabrina's post