Was Christopher Hitchens an 'angry atheist'?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2011, 01:29 PM
RE: Was Christopher Hitchens an 'angry atheist'?
(16-12-2011 01:06 PM)kim Wrote:  I know where you are coming from Calmblueocean, anger only seems to accomplish bad feelings all around. However, repression of outrage only serves denial and that can be far more unhealthy. Being inspired by someone with a healthy perspective can help foster that within oneself.

I agree with Chas -Hitchens was more of an outraged Atheist - I would say an Audacious Atheist. And Erxomai said it very well ~ one can be inspired by the thoughts and words without having to adopt the behavior.
Frankly, I'm glad Hitch was in my corner. He could cut but I always noticed he did it only when cutting was necessary, and rarely excessively. There's a lot to be learned right there. He was actually a very well spoken and quite charming man, at times.

Smile Do check out some of the videos on YouTube.

This might help to start you out....

I enjoyed that one! I look forward to checking out YouTube vids as well as looking into his writing. Thank you for the link, and thanks to all of you who've replied to my questions. He doesn't come across as angry in that one, merely, as you said, outraged. And well-spoken, as well. A truly sad loss indeed.

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes calmblueocean's post
16-12-2011, 02:38 PM
(16-12-2011 12:31 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(16-12-2011 10:30 AM)goldenuke Wrote:  I wouldn't worry at all about being an angry non-theist, you were probably winning the debate. The fact is they are stupid non thinking sheep who believe the most outrageous fabrication ever.

Tell us how you really feel.

I did tell you how I really feel. Your in The Thinking Atheist forum, you will not get very much politically correct, or watered down, comments. Like Hitchens said, the question is over, you have had over 2,000 years to provide one scrap of tangible evidence, and Christianity has lost.
[+] 3 users Like goldenuke's post
16-12-2011, 02:44 PM
(16-12-2011 02:38 PM)goldenuke Wrote:  
(16-12-2011 10:30 AM)goldenuke Wrote:  I wouldn't worry at all about being an angry non-theist, you were probably winning the debate. The fact is they are stupid non thinking sheep who believe the most outrageous fabrication ever.

I did tell you how I really feel. Your in The Thinking Atheist forum, you will not get very much politically correct, or watered down, comments. Like Hitchens said, the question is over, you have had over 2,000 years to provide one scrap of tangible evidence, and Christianity has lost.

Wait...

I'm on The Thinking Atheist?

Freakin' Bing, I swear. germanyt told me Bing was better... Google would have never led me here. Thanks!

*poof*

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 6 users Like kingschosen's post
16-12-2011, 02:51 PM
(16-12-2011 02:44 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Wait...

Freakin' Bing, I swear. germanyt told me Bing was better... Google would have never led me here. Thanks!

*poof*

Maybe there is a god! Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
16-12-2011, 03:02 PM
(16-12-2011 02:51 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  

Wait...

*poof*

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_Wv0hdk4GFpv2MDIsvsS...WoSjEREfy-]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
16-12-2011, 03:09 PM
(16-12-2011 03:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_Wv0hdk4GFpv2MDIsvsS...WoSjEREfy-]

Ha - funny you should bring up cats...

Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods. ~ Christopher Hitchens

That Hitch -a feisty one. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
18-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Well I mean when you think about it... it's a question of how ignorant can someone believe that a God exists?

The fish who keeps on swimming is the first to chill upstream.
18-12-2011, 12:19 PM
(16-12-2011 02:51 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  

Wait...

*poof*

.................................................................Hi.

(18-12-2011 10:48 AM)Snuff Wrote:  Well I mean when you think about it... it's a question of how ignorant can someone believe that a God exists?

Holy crap you're alive.

Right then. Angry atheist can be interpreted into three things.
(1). An idiot who directs his rage at all religious people regardless of their personality or good deeds. These people are just as bad as the people they claim to hate.
(2). Someone who fights against the religion itself believing that all religions are bad and cause nothing but despair. These people are only half right. They need to focus and refine their thoughts to something more level headed.
(3). People who are thought to be nothing but angry and are seen as targeting religion and those who follow it. In truth they fight injustice and stupidity. These people couldn't care less about what people believe as long as it causes no misery to others and has no ill effects and those who follow the religion.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
18-12-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure the question should be, "is he/she/whoever an angry atheist?" A better question would be, "what were they angry about?"

I am not a generally angry person. But there are things about religion that DO make me angry.

Religion is like a penis.
It's ok to have one.
It's ok to be proud of it.
Just don't pull it out and wave it around in front of everyone.
And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my kids throat.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post
18-12-2011, 01:17 PM
(18-12-2011 01:07 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I'm not sure the question should be, "is he/she/whoever an angry atheist?" A better question would be, "what were they angry about?"

I am not a generally angry person. But there are things about religion that DO make me angry.

Religion is like a penis.
It's ok to have one.
It's ok to be proud of it.
Just don't pull it out and wave it around in front of everyone.
And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my kids throat.

Lol, I quoted that one too around here and somebody ripped me a new one because this quote is "yucky" and all the big bad atheists seem to use it Big Grin

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 2 users Like Malleus's post