Was Christopher Hitchens an 'angry atheist'?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2011, 01:22 PM
RE: Was Christopher Hitchens an 'angry atheist'?
Meh, anyone who wants to try and rip me a new one can have at it. Sometimes the truth is ugly, but when I see something ugly I am not inclined to just close my eyes.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
18-12-2011, 01:52 PM
I know, right? But that was during my first 1-2 days when I was still probing to get a feel of this forum.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
18-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Ya, just like any group of people, sometimes it takes a while to get away with the "off-color" type stuff. I'm kind of an old hat here, so I think everyones just learned to ignore me!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
18-12-2011, 04:43 PM
(16-12-2011 08:58 AM)calmblueocean Wrote:  Sad to see about Mr Hitchens' passing today. I'm not familiar with his work and it was suggested to me I jump in and get to know him. I've heard that he was an angry atheist and I'm trying to stay away from that angle. I don't know if it's true and I ask for the input of folks here, who know him and his work, for input.

By angry atheist I mean someone who bashes religion/the religious, holds them up as being stupid, vapid sheeplike followers, and generally speaks harshly and angrily about them and their beliefs. I've struggled myself with these feelings lately, and as it's recently come to my attention (via one Christian friend I've known for 25 years) that I'm coming across as and angry atheist. That's not how I see myself and that's not how I wish to present myself to the world. I've been angry about a lot of things lately, and it's colouring the way I do most everything. It's time for me to get back to center. I want to set myself up with resources that will reinforce that goal, and I don't know if Mr Hitchens' work is among those resources.

What do you folks think?

It is possible to push any cause, including atheism , with ridiculous vigour.
I know many atheists who are just as ridiculously dogmatic as religious people; quite simply their god being scientism, or the notion that science is the only cosmic reality within the Universe.

I do not see every aspect of religion as totally eratic any more than science potentially possessing every eventual aspect of life and consciousness. Many atheists confuse the gobbledegook of the worlds religions with the possibility of higher cosmic potentialities which may well transcend the scientific method.

You might like to have a look at Sam Harris, one of the more open minded atheists.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
19-12-2011, 05:11 AM
(18-12-2011 01:07 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I'm not sure the question should be, "is he/she/whoever an angry atheist?" A better question would be, "what were they angry about?"

I am not a generally angry person. But there are things about religion that DO make me angry.

Religion is like a penis.
It's ok to have one.
It's ok to be proud of it.
Just don't pull it out and wave it around in front of everyone.
And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my kids throat.

The question should be "What EVIL has the church done?" A full list would take a long time to cover, just in point form, not in great detail. Here is a response by Christopher Hitchens to what good the church has done. Every christian should have to know this before they can publicly respond with miss information. Please watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQHxkX-tyYU
19-12-2011, 06:49 AM
(18-12-2011 01:17 PM)Malleus Wrote:  Lol, I quoted that one too around here and somebody ripped me a new one because this quote is "yucky" and all the big bad atheists seem to use it Big Grin

That was me. I thought I was being quite nice, I mean seriously is "yucky" really ripping you a new one?... I honestly despise this quote. How'd you feel if some Christian came up and told you that atheism was like anal rape? But yeah, just me. Some over-sensitive asshole who's been brutalised by the dildo of reality once too often...
19-12-2011, 07:04 AM
Aw c'mon, Morondog, don't take it that personally. I certainly didn't. For me that quote has a good healthy dose of self-mockery too. I crossed the street after many-many years spent on the other side defending that crap.

Besides, my skin is not that thin. I couldn't possibly take offense when somebody calls something I say "yucky", really. Personally I couldn't remember who said it, but this was just my way of giving whomever that was a friendly bump. Peace?

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 1 user Likes Malleus's post
19-12-2011, 07:40 AM
(19-12-2011 07:04 AM)Malleus Wrote:  Aw c'mon, Morondog, don't take it that personally. I certainly didn't. For me that quote has a good healthy dose of self-mockery too. I crossed the street after many-many years spent on the other side defending that crap.

Besides, my skin is not that thin. I couldn't possibly take offense when somebody calls something I say "yucky", really. Personally I couldn't remember who said it, but this was just my way of giving whomever that was a friendly bump. Peace?

Fair 'nuff Tongue Pax vobiscum, Pater...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
20-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Next time someone calls you an angry atheist, just say you've got plenty to be angry over. The crusades, the inquisitions and witch trials, the subjection of women, the virtually science-less Dark Age, the destruction of pagan cultures, the spread of AIDS via the preachment against condoms, the hostility and violence toward homosexuals, etc. etc. ad nauseam.

Anger isn't automatically or necessarily frothing-at-the-mouth mindless rage. It can be intellectual. More importantly, it can be justified.

"As he goes through the house of Zeus, the gods tremble before him, and all spring up from their seats when he draws near, as he bends his bright bow." - Homeric Hymn to Apollo
[+] 1 user Likes Apollonian's post
21-12-2011, 05:13 AM
I have to admit I never really liked listening to Hitchens debate. He just seemed like an asshole to me. A very intelligent asshole but an asshole nonetheless. I actually heard on the radio some people sharing their thoughts on Hitchens and I think one interviewee put it best. He said Hitchens was an excellent writer but was not a very good debater. He would often interrupt and often made the debate personal. Although I found the videos just posted to fairly good so maybe I just judged him to early ( I had only seen 2 or 3 videos)
But in conclusion I would say his professional demeanor was Asshole (don't worry I am not picking on Dawkins, I am working on attributes to most of the big debaters.

Also to Apollonian I disagree with Hitchens, My beloved pope JPII, and yourself by saying that I don't think the church should have to apologize for most of those things.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc