Was Christopher Hitchens an 'angry atheist'?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2011, 07:05 AM
RE: Was Christopher Hitchens an 'angry atheist'?
(21-12-2011 05:13 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I have to admit I never really liked listening to Hitchens debate. He just seemed like an asshole to me. A very intelligent asshole but an asshole nonetheless. I actually heard on the radio some people sharing their thoughts on Hitchens and I think one interviewee put it best. He said Hitchens was an excellent writer but was not a very good debater. He would often interrupt and often made the debate personal. Although I found the videos just posted to fairly good so maybe I just judged him to early ( I had only seen 2 or 3 videos)
But in conclusion I would say his professional demeanor was Asshole (don't worry I am not picking on Dawkins, I am working on attributes to most of the big debaters.

Also to Apollonian I disagree with Hitchens, My beloved pope JPII, and yourself by saying that I don't think the church should have to apologize for most of those things.

Your attitude is why atheists sometimes have an aggressive demeanor. Hitchens could show hundreds of lies, contradictions and barbaric acts by god. Please pick out a few lies or errors from the 2 or 3 (hard to remember isn't it ) clips you did see of Hitchens.

If you don't like arguments or have no answer for them ... attack the messenger. Funny how atheists know more about the bible than a shallow disciple like you, ignorant about your own beliefs. I have no idea why anyone as ill equipped as you would even enter an atheist forum, let alone try to be part of it. You have nothing to offer Mr. TarzanSmith.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like goldenuke's post
21-12-2011, 11:40 AM
(21-12-2011 05:13 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I have to admit I never really liked listening to Hitchens debate. He just seemed like an asshole to me. A very intelligent asshole but an asshole nonetheless. I actually heard on the radio some people sharing their thoughts on Hitchens and I think one interviewee put it best. He said Hitchens was an excellent writer but was not a very good debater. He would often interrupt and often made the debate personal. Although I found the videos just posted to fairly good so maybe I just judged him to early ( I had only seen 2 or 3 videos)
But in conclusion I would say his professional demeanor was Asshole (don't worry I am not picking on Dawkins, I am working on attributes to most of the big debaters.

Also to Apollonian I disagree with Hitchens, My beloved pope JPII, and yourself by saying that I don't think the church should have to apologize for most of those things.

And, really, why should we expect anything else from someone like you? You have your comforting superstitions, so why bother gathering any facts about those criticizing those beliefs and the fruits those beliefs bear? And why feel the need to apologize for brutality, when said brutality was in the best eternal interest of those brutalized? Isn't a tortured, mangled, burnt body a small price to pay to spend eternity in heaven glorifying the being that your torturers glorified through your torment? And for those who died under torment still not believing, well, how could they not deserve an eternity in hell; did they not defy the being who has done nothing, ever, to stop such horrors being done in its name?

Your own religion likes to talk about knowing the truth of a message by the fruit it bears, yet for some reason it never looks under its own tree to see the fetid, miasmic refuse that's accumulated there.

"As he goes through the house of Zeus, the gods tremble before him, and all spring up from their seats when he draws near, as he bends his bright bow." - Homeric Hymn to Apollo
[+] 2 users Like Apollonian's post
21-12-2011, 05:33 PM
I would call Hitchens an aggressive speaker, and I think there were times his buttons were pushed (such as when Boteach essentially blamed Darwin for Hitler's activity, but who can blame Hitchens there). Given that, I think he was a wonderful speaker/debater. There was a good article written by Daniel Dennett regarding how Hitchens would debate, and I tend to agree.

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."
- Christopher Hitchens
[+] 3 users Like kylestyle's post
21-12-2011, 07:46 PM
(21-12-2011 05:33 PM)kylestyle Wrote:  I would call Hitchens an aggressive speaker, and I think there were times his buttons were pushed (such as when Boteach essentially blamed Darwin for Hitler's activity, but who can blame Hitchens there). Given that, I think he was a wonderful speaker/debater. There was a good article written by Daniel Dennett regarding how Hitchens would debate, and I tend to agree.
Thanks for sharing that article by Daniel Dennett ... Good article.