Was Earmuffs banned?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2017, 07:23 AM
RE: Was Earmuffs banned?
(02-11-2017 08:27 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Would this be a bad time to tell some pedophile jokes?

From the forum rules:

Quote:Paedophilia
This applies to all posts that refer to paedophilia, both in the colloquial, and by the dictionary definition. The consequences for making such posts are receiving an official warning and, in the event of repeated offenses, your account being banned. Exceptions are made for posts opposing acts of child molestation, or for members who have been molested and are seeking support. The Forum Team and all members are responsible for vigilance.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 14 users Like Dom's post
03-11-2017, 08:08 AM
Y'all who're calling for Muffs to be reinstated, you realise what you're doing right?

If you don't trust Moms to run the site, I'm sure she'll happily lay down the admin role, which by the way is totally thankless and a lot of work. Then you who are so clear on how to do it better can be our shiny new admin. You can approve posts from newbies, chase sockpuppets, enforce forum rules and carefully weigh decisions such as whether a user being libellously attacked and the perp facing *zero consequence* is a good look for the site. And when you do reluctantly take action you can catch all the flak for it too. By the way, you will be paid exactly US$0.00 for your service.

It's not like mods are immune from criticism - Anjele brought up some not-good stuff which I don't like the sound of at all. But in this specific instance, Muffs banning, I'm pretty goddamn clear that this is open-and-shut. Either we have rules or we don't. If you contravene them, you get banned. IMO there should be no special "Oh come on, he's a great guy, let him back after a while" either. Fuck that shit.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 20 users Like morondog's post
03-11-2017, 08:47 AM
(03-11-2017 08:08 AM)morondog Wrote:  If you contravene them, you get banned. IMO there should be no special "Oh come on, he's a great guy, let him back after a while" either. Fuck that shit.

I had assumed that not all bans are permabans. Most sites I've been at, including one I helped moderate, had varied periods of bannage depending on severity, history, etc.
03-11-2017, 09:42 AM
(03-11-2017 08:47 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(03-11-2017 08:08 AM)morondog Wrote:  If you contravene them, you get banned. IMO there should be no special "Oh come on, he's a great guy, let him back after a while" either. Fuck that shit.

I had assumed that not all bans are permabans. Most sites I've been at, including one I helped moderate, had varied periods of bannage depending on severity, history, etc.
I believe bans here are forever!

I agree though, if you feck up and break the rules, then act like a bit of an asshat about it, you should be banned. I've said before, I'm not against him coming back at a later time, but only if the mods allow it. IE I'm not losing sleep about it.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
03-11-2017, 09:46 AM
(02-11-2017 07:01 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Think about it this way, if it was meant to be a joke, then that makes you just as overly sensitive as those who are overly sensitive, SJW's for instance. You call it a joke, a horrible joke yes, but a joke, he did an apology for it, even if you don't accept it.

He wasn't making a "joke", he was trying to make a point. And he pushed his efforts too far and crossed a line into an action that was illegal at most and against forum rules at best. And his "apology" post was not a god damned apology. And it also wasn't a joke. It was a post trying again to make a point, and continuing to cross the same line in the process. Just because it contained a "funny" phrase, doesn't make his intent humorous.

And whatever point he was making was pretty much lost in the botched attempt. I think he was going for, "You're making shit up about me, so I'll make shit up about you" or something along those lines. He felt bullied, and rather than pointing that out in an adult way and discussing that, he chose a childish route to make his point and tried to take it to the most offensive extent he could think of.

I also, I'm going to sin you for using "SJW" non-ironically. Jesus... (btw, I'd probably be considered an SJW in your book, and you can kindly fuck right off)... unless it hurts your feelings.
Rolleyes
(BTW, that last part was a joke, so, don't go getting offended).
[+] 9 users Like Emma's post
03-11-2017, 09:50 AM
(03-11-2017 08:47 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  

As far as I'm aware, for TTA almost all bans have been permanent. I can think of one occasion where someone got a temp ban. I think it might even have been Earmuffs. There may have been others but I can't recall them.

I personally believe that's the right way to do things. I mean, sure maybe there's a case for bringing in less harsh stuff. But frankly we're adults. I don't need to be kept in line with the threat of various grades of punishment. Muffs did his best to deserve this, he got his wish.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
03-11-2017, 09:55 AM
(03-11-2017 01:45 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  At least the Kiwi cunt taught me the proper usage of the word "cunt" before he left.

Cunt -
A word used between male bro's in New Zealand. Usually a friendly term, but can be often used in a derogatory sense before a fight, after a fight, or just saying it if you wish to look hard. The australians have also adopted the word 'cunt' but cannot use it to the full effect as they are dickheads. Only New Zealanders can say 'cunt', as many other countries find it deeply offensive because they are also, dickheads (even if they did say 'cunt' they would sound like dickheads). The most common word in the NZ Dicktionary

The use of the word "cunt" in the US is not meant as a "friendly" term. That's sort of like saying it's okay to say "fag" here because it means cigarette in England. (Assuming it still does.) Clearly different terms are offensive or funny in different places. But I cannot imagine a place where being a pedophile would be an admirable trait. Nor being a rapist. Over the line is over the line. Period. He was given the opportunity to make an effort to make it right with a sincere apology. He chose instead, to be an ass.

Parts of a true apology:
I was wrong.
I regret what I said/did.
I accept full responsibility for my actions/words.
I will not do/say it again.
Please forgive me.
What can I do to help make it better?

Anything short of that is simply not an apology.

Muff's was more like someone saying:
Initial comment: You're a dick. "Apology:" I'm sorry you're such a dick.

Note to Moms: THANK YOU for everything you do here to keep this playground free of bullies.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 13 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
03-11-2017, 09:57 AM
(03-11-2017 09:50 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-11-2017 08:47 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I had assumed that not all bans are permabans. Most sites I've been at, including one I helped moderate, had varied periods of bannage depending on severity, history, etc.

As far as I'm aware, for TTA almost all bans have been permanent. I can think of one occasion where someone got a temp ban. I think it might even have been Earmuffs. There may have been others but I can't recall them.

I personally believe that's the right way to do things. I mean, sure maybe there's a case for bringing in less harsh stuff. But frankly we're adults. I don't need to be kept in line with the threat of various grades of punishment. Muffs did his best to deserve this, he got his wish.

There are a number of degrees of consequences for breaking rules. Some may not be noticed by other members - like being blocked from participating in the personal issues or welcome sections if their rules have been repeatedly broken. There are several more levels leading up to a perma ban. Muffs was given one of the lighter punishments and CHOSE to be perma banned.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
03-11-2017, 10:05 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2017 11:27 AM by OakTree500.)
(03-11-2017 09:55 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  
(03-11-2017 01:45 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  At least the Kiwi cunt taught me the proper usage of the word "cunt" before he left.

Cunt -
A word used between male bro's in New Zealand. Usually a friendly term, but can be often used in a derogatory sense before a fight, after a fight, or just saying it if you wish to look hard. The australians have also adopted the word 'cunt' but cannot use it to the full effect as they are dickheads. Only New Zealanders can say 'cunt', as many other countries find it deeply offensive because they are also, dickheads (even if they did say 'cunt' they would sound like dickheads). The most common word in the NZ Dicktionary

The use of the word "cunt" in the US is not meant as a "friendly" term. That's sort of like saying it's okay to say "fag" here because it means cigarette in England. (Assuming it still does.)
It does! Fag, that is, it still means cigarette.

Generally, I think the point is that for some reason people are lumping this solely on the fact it's "NZ humour" which it isn't at all. I would say all areas similar to this (Mainly the Brits, Aussies and Kiwi's) share this common sense of humour. People may know it as "banter". And among friends, it's fine to call them dickheads/cunts/etc. Coming out of that, part of this has leaked into common vernacular in Aus and Nz, (Namly Dickhead and Cunt), but the C bomb is still really in the that upper bracket of "be careful who you say it too...it's still not really very cool". For example: I could call my close friend a cunt....but not my mum.

And quick edit: No matter where you are from, calling somebody a child rapist is not funny in the slightest. If it's intended to be a joke, it's a shit one and you should know better.

(03-11-2017 09:55 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  Note to Moms: THANK YOU for everything you do here to keep this playground free of bullies.
+1 one on that. Thanks Mom's and the rest of the mods for keeping it going and making sure we don't all kill each other.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
03-11-2017, 10:09 AM
#fuckingearmuffs

I mean whatever. Moms rules, anybody who thinks otherwise has the administration experience of peanut butter.

living word
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post