Was Earmuffs banned?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2017, 08:46 PM
RE: Was Earmuffs banned?
(04-11-2017 08:25 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(04-11-2017 07:32 PM)unsapien Wrote:  (again my bold)

You know Earmuffs has used the word "sand nigger" casually, right?

I've heard the term, but no, I do not remember him [specifically] using it. Sadcryface Maybe I glossed over it... maybe something else... Sadcryface

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2017, 09:01 PM
(04-11-2017 08:46 PM)unsapien Wrote:  
(04-11-2017 08:25 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  You know Earmuffs has used the word "sand nigger" casually, right?

I've heard the term, but no, I do not remember him [specifically] using it. Sadcryface Maybe I glossed over it... maybe something else... Sadcryface

I do. It was one more point on his Lowest-Common-Denominator score.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
04-11-2017, 09:02 PM
(04-11-2017 08:43 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(04-11-2017 08:12 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Well I'm not getting you. What did I myself write? You seem to imply I think there is a context where one person calling another person a pedo "works" and is okay. I don't (though I don't believe in thought crimes...I don't give a damn what goes on between anyone's ears as long as if harmful it stays there).

What you wrote is that, in essence, it's understandable that a person should maintain different personae, online, and real life. That, my friend, is context. What I'm saying is that Muffs would not say this stuff to someone who could actually box his ears.

Okay I gotcha I'm just trying trying trying to keep general thoughts and comments about forum behavior isolated from the particulars of the Earmuffs case so there are no repeated implications that I agree with his actions...which is stupid of me because...this is a thread about Earmuffs, so I am just going to go ahead and shut the fuck up.

Quote:That's context. I'm not talking about forum rules or your agreement with them. I'm talking about how some folks enjoy the anonymity of the 'Net to be dicks. I don't like such folk. His ban was because of the forum's rules. My criticism of his behavior runs a little deeper.

Okay I understand you.

Quote:If his comments hadn't earnt him a ban, would you bother to comment at all on them?

No, but I don't think my two cents, saying that with the exception of Earmuff's particular offending remarks, I never had a problem with his posts, are less valuable than the other fifty people who felt compelled to throw in their two cents saying oh, dude was a total asshole all along and I always hated the guy. But to each his own, I'm new here, I'm still getting to know people. If others have had miserable experiences with him, I don't disrespect that. Thump if you do something stupid and get yourself banned I'll probably put in a good word for you too. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
04-11-2017, 09:14 PM
(04-11-2017 09:02 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  No, but I don't think my two cents, saying that with the exception of Earmuff's particular offending remarks, I never had a problem with his posts, are less valuable than the other fifty people who felt compelled to throw in their two cents saying oh, dude was a total asshole all along and I always hated the guy.

It's all good; we're just conversing. And while I obviously don't agree with your opinion in this instance, that doesn't mean a damned thing either, because I'm only offering ... wait for it ... my own opinion.

(03-11-2017 09:20 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  But to each his own, I'm new here, I'm still getting to know people. If others have had miserable experiences with him, I don't disrespect that. Thump if you do something stupid and get yourself banned I'll probably put in a good word for you too. Smile

New, schmew. Different perspectives are good things. Disagreement need not mean ugliness or dislike. You get that, obviously, and much respect for it. Thanks for the back-and-forth. Have you changed my mind? No, I still don't care for the guy.

Now, how to get banned ... ?
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
04-11-2017, 10:17 PM
(04-11-2017 09:14 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  New, schmew. Different perspectives are good things. Disagreement need not mean ugliness or dislike.

Hah! If only everyone hear held to that. There is at least one forum member who can't stand me because I think differently than they do. I think my mere presence on this forum and other peoples' unabashed tolerance of my differences (as though we were all people of a single human species working toward a shared goal of bettering humanity) makes this person want to vomit.

Oh well Drinking Beverage
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
05-11-2017, 04:01 AM
(04-11-2017 10:17 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(04-11-2017 09:14 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  New, schmew. Different perspectives are good things. Disagreement need not mean ugliness or dislike.

Hah! If only everyone hear held to that. There is at least one forum member who can't stand me because I think differently than they do. I think my mere presence on this forum and other peoples' unabashed tolerance of my differences (as though we were all people of a single human species working toward a shared goal of bettering humanity) makes this person want to vomit.

Ultimately we all have to laugh off some of that. We ain't exactly the nicest species to be top of the food chain Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
05-11-2017, 05:35 AM
(04-11-2017 09:14 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  New, schmew. Different perspectives are good things.

It depends I would say. If people see nationalism as a good thing then I can't see what is good in such perspective.

Quote: Disagreement need not mean ugliness or dislike.

For me it often does as I can't even imagine valuing opinion of someone opposing euthanasia or same sex marriage. I may remain civil but it would be civility devoid of respect; I immensly dislike clowns thinking that their mythology should be imposed onto others but I'm afraid that with my lack of tolerance for (some) opposing views I might be not that different.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
05-11-2017, 06:58 AM
(04-11-2017 10:17 PM)Aliza Wrote:  

You're famous enough to have haters, baby.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
05-11-2017, 07:03 AM
(05-11-2017 05:35 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(04-11-2017 09:14 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  New, schmew. Different perspectives are good things.

It depends I would say. If people see nationalism as a good thing then I can't see what is good in such perspective.

The good in different perspectives is not necessarily inherent in the perspective, but in the mental exercise required to figure out why you agree or disagree with it. In that sense, I can learn from people with whom I disagree.

For me it often does as I can't even imagine valuing opinion of someone opposing euthanasia or same sex marriage. I may remain civil but it would be civility devoid of respect; I immensly dislike clowns thinking that their mythology should be imposed onto others but I'm afraid that with my lack of tolerance for (some) opposing views I might be not that different.
[/quote]

Well, of course not all views merit respect. Nor are all outlooks acceptable to me. My point in saying what I did is that too many people see the very fact of disagreement as justification for dislike.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
05-11-2017, 07:58 AM

I think the trick for developing tolerance is in imagining how various upbringings and life experiences could give rise to the positions you so abhor. It isn't about being flexible in what counts as the correct or better position, only in understanding how ones circumstances can influence dispositions and judgement. It may involve admitting that you aren't so much smarter as you were luckier than them.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 4 users Like whateverist's post