Was Earmuffs banned?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2017, 11:15 AM
RE: Was Earmuffs banned?
(04-11-2017 10:17 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(04-11-2017 09:14 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  New, schmew. Different perspectives are good things. Disagreement need not mean ugliness or dislike.

Hah! If only everyone hear held to that. There is at least one forum member who can't stand me because I think differently than they do. I think my mere presence on this forum and other peoples' unabashed tolerance of my differences (as though we were all people of a single human species working toward a shared goal of bettering humanity) makes this person want to vomit.

Oh well Drinking Beverage

OMG another typo.

Here not hear. Angry
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
05-11-2017, 11:25 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2017 11:29 AM by adey67.)
(04-11-2017 10:17 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(04-11-2017 09:14 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  New, schmew. Different perspectives are good things. Disagreement need not mean ugliness or dislike.

Hah! If only everyone hear held to that. There is at least one forum member who can't stand me because I think differently than they do. I think my mere presence on this forum and other peoples' unabashed tolerance of my differences (as though we were all people of a single human species working toward a shared goal of bettering humanity) makes this person want to vomit.

I wouldn't worry I too have incurred their wrath, the fact they have been been coming out with the most ridiculous and specious arguments recently that fly in the face of common sense says more about them than it does about us, sometimes its hard to remember they are really poorly. Hopefully they will get better soon and become more reasonable, I really really hope so. Sad
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
05-11-2017, 11:39 AM
@Whateverist

I can imagine why some people hold positions that I deem abhorrent. It however does not make me look kinder on them - position x does not suddenly became more palpatable cause it makes sense in context of person y upbringing.

Taking some liberty with word choice - to understand is not to forgive.

Also where I wrote something about being smarter? I realize that authoritarian clowns denying women choice cause they were indoctrinated during childhood aren't necesarilly stupid. It only makes thing worse though as stupidity would mean they simply don't know better.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
05-11-2017, 11:49 AM
(05-11-2017 11:39 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  @Whateverist

I can imagine why some people hold positions that I deem abhorrent. It however does not make me look kinder on them - position x does not suddenly became more palpatable cause it makes sense in context of person y upbringing.

That is my point though, that understanding where they're coming from doesn't make the position they hold more palatable at all. But it might reduce the anger you have to deal with when confronted by them. Of course, if they're actually doing something about it you can still oppose. Just no point getting worked up about the mere fact that people think those things .. and I still do anyway too sometimes.

(05-11-2017 11:39 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Taking some liberty with word choice - to understand is not to forgive.

But unless their odious beliefs are being actualized in a way that impacts you being able to understand/forgive benefits you more than it does them.
Have you checked your blood pressure lately? Wink

(05-11-2017 11:39 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Also where I wrote something about being smarter? I realize that authoritarian clowns denying women choice cause they were indoctrinated during childhood aren't necesarilly stupid. It only makes thing worse though as stupidity would mean they simply don't know better.

Yeah, that was me. You hadn't mentioned it but I still think getting some perspective can often be humbling, not altogether a bad thing.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 2 users Like whateverist's post
05-11-2017, 12:00 PM
(05-11-2017 11:49 AM)whateverist Wrote:  That is my point though, that understanding where they're coming from doesn't make the position they hold more palatable at all. But it might reduce the anger you have to deal with when confronted by them. Of course, if they're actually doing something about it you can still oppose. Just no point getting worked up about the mere fact that people think those things .. and I still do anyway too sometimes.

Mere fact that people oppose right to euthanasia, abortion or same sex marriage piss me off as I despise such authoritarian shit. Sure, it does not make sense to be angry all the time but it is not like I think about it constantly.

Quote:
But unless their odious beliefs are being actualized in a way that impacts you being able to understand/forgive benefits you more than it does them.
Have you checked your blood pressure lately? Wink

I understand why people might hold views abhorrent to me as I already said. That does not mean that I will respect such opinions or think better about people holding them.

About spoiler - it's in norm. I'm not some caricature from angry liberal meme.

[quote] Yeah, that was me. You hadn't mentioned it but I still think getting some perspective can often be humbling, not altogether a bad thing.

I don't care about perspective of people I deem to be clowns.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
05-11-2017, 12:27 PM
(05-11-2017 04:01 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-11-2017 10:17 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Hah! If only everyone hear here held to that. There is at least one forum member who can't stand me because I think differently than they do. I think my mere presence on this forum and other peoples' unabashed tolerance of my differences (as though we were all people of a single human species working toward a shared goal of bettering humanity) makes this person want to vomit.
Ultimately we all have to laugh off some of that. We ain't exactly the nicest species to be top of the food chain Dodgy

I think this individual just has some deep emotional issues that are not my fault and have nothing to do with me. We're all responsible for our own health care needs, and the onus does not fall to internet people to diagnose and treat other people's issues.

I was trying to make a point though before I nodded off for the night.... what was it? Consider

Oh yes!

(03-11-2017 09:32 PM)Dr H Wrote:  2) And there was provocation. On page 1 and again on page 3 of the original thread, SYZ -- whom I also rather like -- pretty blatantly suggested that Muffs was a homophobe and an racist. Those are also not words that I feel should be used lightly. And yet, again, they are.
3) Muffs pointed out in post #40 of that thread that both of them had gone over "the" line -- well, a line, anyway.

None of these threads exist in a silo. We’re a community of people who interact with each other, have established personalities, and friendships and feuds with people. I don’t necessarily follow the interactions with others, but I know from first-hand experience that someone has been poking and needling me since the first month that I got here, and this person only has so many more pokes and prods before I completely come unglued. When that happens, I'm sure a nasty back-and-forth will ensue, and to the casual onlooker, it may appear that I was the initial instigator.

I got the impression that Muffs had been needling SYZ for some time, and I don't get the impression that SYZ is an instigator. Muffs, on the other hand is one of those guys who uses the internet as a whipping boy for his personal and emotional problems. He attacks without provocation simply because he doesn’t like what someone has to say, and his attacks are very personal and they're designed to cut and damage. News flash: There is another human on the other end of that line, and Muff’s has been begging for someone to bite back. Any provocation from SYZ had likely been a long time in the making.

Oh, and we don’t excuse bad behavior because someone's country of origin. What the fuck is that about? He's from New Zealand so it's okay? I’ve never seen an international summit where all of the world leaders excuse some diplomat's horrible behavior because of cultural differences. When interacting on an international level, all people are expected to behave appropriately with the shared and universally agreed upon terms of decorum and behavior (which means more politely than they would at home). When they don't, they're called out and their country of origin doesn't pardon them.

I can just imagine an American business person going to Japan and shoveling food in their mouth with their hands and unbuckling their belt to accommodate their full stomach, saying to the shocked people at the table, “I get to act this way because I’m American."
[+] 16 users Like Aliza's post
05-11-2017, 12:35 PM
(05-11-2017 12:27 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(05-11-2017 04:01 AM)morondog Wrote:  Ultimately we all have to laugh off some of that. We ain't exactly the nicest species to be top of the food chain Dodgy

I think this individual just has some deep emotional issues that are not my fault and have nothing to do with me. We're all responsible for our own health care needs, and the onus does not fall to internet people to diagnose and treat other people's issues.

Yeah, I get that bit. Just... what I meant was... oh fuck I'm tired. I sleep. Maybe I'll figure out what I meant in the morning.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
05-11-2017, 12:36 PM
(05-11-2017 12:35 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(05-11-2017 12:27 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I think this individual just has some deep emotional issues that are not my fault and have nothing to do with me. We're all responsible for our own health care needs, and the onus does not fall to internet people to diagnose and treat other people's issues.

Yeah, I get that bit. Just... what I meant was... oh fuck I'm tired. I sleep. Maybe I'll figure out what I meant in the morning.

Sleep well, MD. Hug
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
06-11-2017, 03:23 AM
(05-11-2017 11:25 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(04-11-2017 10:17 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Hah! If only everyone hear held to that. There is at least one forum member who can't stand me because I think differently than they do. I think my mere presence on this forum and other peoples' unabashed tolerance of my differences (as though we were all people of a single human species working toward a shared goal of bettering humanity) makes this person want to vomit.

I wouldn't worry I too have incurred their wrath, the fact they have been been coming out with the most ridiculous and specious arguments recently that fly in the face of common sense says more about them than it does about us, sometimes its hard to remember they are really poorly. Hopefully they will get better soon and become more reasonable, I really really hope so. Sad

Looks like you are talking about a different person, just ignore the quoted post I've obviously jumped to conclusions, my bad
06-11-2017, 01:57 PM
(05-11-2017 12:35 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(05-11-2017 12:27 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I think this individual just has some deep emotional issues that are not my fault and have nothing to do with me. We're all responsible for our own health care needs, and the onus does not fall to internet people to diagnose and treat other people's issues.

So coming back to this... what I kinda meant was... yeah, you're not responsible for the fact that someone's going after you. It's not your problem why they're doing so. But... they are doing it. So... you's just gotta do your thing and not feel that this isn't your space or anything. It's yours as much as anyone's. And loadsa people love you here, so you don't need to feel unwelcome 'cos of one or other person.

And ja, a lot of people have experienced similar. What it comes down to is that we're tribal and territorial. If you step on the right toes, say the right magic words, we have no choice but to bark. It's ingrained in us. So don't think too badly of us Wink

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post