Was Earmuffs banned?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-11-2017, 09:30 PM
RE: Was Earmuffs banned?
(06-11-2017 08:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-11-2017 08:04 PM)Free Wrote:  Although Moms has the final say, she is not the type to fly off the handle and pull the trigger.

I've watched all of those who have opted to wield the banhammer since damn near to this forum's inception. Until Moms, it broke them all. I warned the HellboundPreacher Erxomai to not assume the responsibility because it will end in tears. It ended in tears and the HellboundPreacher has now found different roads to perdition. It even broke Stark, the OG of the forum. More than once. And that's even with him smoking a shitload of weed. I don't think it's gonna break Moms. I think she's got this. I trust her judgment.

Moms is wielding that ban hammer, making Thor look like a child with an inflatable hammer.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
07-11-2017, 10:14 PM
Based on what everyone says we're lucky to have Moms on the job. Can anyone explain to me how the decision making regarding banning actual members is handled? Is Moms the only one with a hammer? If there are more hammer wielders, do they have to reach consensus or is everyone a free agent? Just curious.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
07-11-2017, 10:54 PM
(07-11-2017 10:14 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Based on what everyone says we're lucky to have Moms on the job. Can anyone explain to me how the decision making regarding banning actual members is handled? Is Moms the only one with a hammer? If there are more hammer wielders, do they have to reach consensus or is everyone a free agent? Just curious.

It varies due to circumstances. On the lowest tier are ad bots any Mod has authority to swat them when they join up. We have a bunch of tells for when they try to fake a first post. Next up are Sock Puppets from past banned users those too can get the boot by anyone but we keep the rest of the Forum Team informed. Next level up are trolls that are just here to disrupt the forum those Mods need to get approval before Banning but Super Mods and up can swat.

Beyond that it is Generally up to DLJ and Moms with Moms being the Ultimate decision on when Trölnir flies. There is nearly always at least a brief discussion by the team (except in extreme cases) and even if Moms decides differently from the advice given we do get to have our say. Outside opinions are considered but are usually not a heavy factor, if a bunch of people report posts or send PMs these are added to the discussion but are not a deciding factor most of the time. Simply whipping up a mob does not get the target banned and in a few cases has resulted in less harsh punishments. We have a wealth of experience on the team and most everyone has a slightly different viewpoint but we all trust and respect each other and can usually come to an amicable agreement on what to do.

Most of the time it is just a matter of taking out the trash before it begins to stink while still allowing you filthy animals a few chewtoys so you don't go biting at each other in the kennels. We have a system and it seems to work, the forum for the most part has been smooth sailing with no where near the dramatic flair ups we used to get.

For those asking for Muffs to return I doubt he will, not because we would refuse to but because he would not accept a very minor slap on the wrist punishment that would still stand. It's a shame but he self destructed and has no one to blame but himself.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 8 users Like Revenant77x's post
07-11-2017, 11:04 PM
(07-11-2017 10:14 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Based on what everyone says we're lucky to have Moms on the job. Can anyone explain to me how the decision making regarding banning actual members is handled? Is Moms the only one with a hammer? If there are more hammer wielders, do they have to reach consensus or is everyone a free agent? Just curious.

I have seen the forum attempt a variety of strategies for handling the ban hammer. The only one I've seen which has ever "worked" (after a fashion at least) is when a single moderator is willing to assume sole responsibility for difficult banishment decisions. They do typically have a council of elders suffering from varying degrees of dementia to advise them but it's ultimately their call, it's on them. They all eventually broke under the weight. I should check to see whether Moms has held it the longest without breaking by now.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-11-2017, 11:09 PM
(07-11-2017 11:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I have seen the forum attempt a variety of strategies for handling the ban hammer. The only one I've seen which has ever "worked" (after a fashion at least) is when a single moderator is willing to assume sole responsibility for difficult banishment decisions. They do typically have a council of elders suffering from varying degrees of dementia to advise them but it's ultimately their call, it's on them. They all eventually broke under the weight. I should check to see whether Moms has held it the longest without breaking by now.

[Image: you-dont-need-to-be-crazy-to-work-here-b...-0a58a.png]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
07-11-2017, 11:56 PM
I was lucky in my one moderating experience, at Thinking Aloud Forums. The team there was diverse in outlook but all committed to the mission of keeping the gutters swept and the sewer drained. We could insta-/permaban spammers, any member based on posting pr0n, member request, that sort of thing -- but all other ban decisions required agreement from the team.

The forum broke apart when the owner/admin decided to ban a moderator based on a flaky interpretation of the rules. The rest of us cached files and migrated the forum and its membership to a new server ... but we limped along and eventually died out.

That part wasn't so lucky, obviously.

Whatever the process in place here, I like it. It results in free-flowing conversation and generally tamps down flame-wars, which is around where I set the knobs on my amp, so, cool.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
08-11-2017, 06:54 AM
An era of edginess has come to an end.

Fascinating.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
08-11-2017, 07:21 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2017 07:58 AM by Vera.)
By the edge of the river Piedrace of Shit I sat down and wept. Drinking Beverage

[Image: justin-timberlake-cry-me-a-river.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
08-11-2017, 07:58 AM
The only thing that saddens me about earmuffs being banned is that Banjo chose to go with him.

It's baffling to me why he would choose to harness his cart to a jackass and ride away with him. I still hope he'll change his mind and return to the forum family someday. (Banjo, that is.)

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
08-11-2017, 08:14 AM
(08-11-2017 07:58 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  The only thing that saddens me about earmuffs being banned is that Banjo chose to go with him.

It's baffling to me why he would choose to harness his cart to a jackass and ride away with him. I still hope he'll change his mind and return to the forum family someday. (Banjo, that is.)
Agreed, his overreaction was epic but looking back a little, here was a man who essentially refused to accept that the risk of gangrene to the head of the penis was a valid reason for medical circumcision and that I was an apologist, which is utter insanity, I cannot help but think that the balance of his mind is currently somewhat disturbed. Hopefully he will regain his equilibrium soon.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post