Was I out of line?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2016, 02:04 PM
Was I out of line?
My wife drags me off to church on occasion, usually when I forget to turn off the alarm clock on Saturday night before bed. When I do go, I enjoy talking to the pastor after the service about my thoughts. Especially since he seems to talk about some atheist he met and had to deal with, just about every service I have been to. I won't go into every detail, but I will say I compared the god of the bible to little Anthony Fremont of (The Twilight Zone). He said "God does not punish.". I beg to differ. I asked if the whole pillar of salt thing rang a bell. That was just for turning around and looking back or in other words caring what happens to your fellow humans. There are many more examples, but I went with that one. I am curious if you feel I was out of line or not. They all know I am an atheist. It is no secret. I think there are a few members that won't admit to non-belief, but I can't prove it and I would not out them either.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Birdguy1979's post
01-03-2016, 02:07 PM
RE: Was I out of line?
(01-03-2016 02:04 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  My wife drags me off to church on occasion, usually when I forget to turn off the alarm clock on Saturday night before bed. When I do go, I enjoy talking to the pastor after the service about my thoughts. Especially since he seems to talk about some atheist he met and had to deal with, just about every service I have been to. I won't go into every detail, but I will say I compared the god of the bible to little Anthony Fremont of (The Twilight Zone). He said "God does not punish.". I beg to differ. I asked if the whole pillar of salt thing rang a bell. That was just for turning around and looking back or in other words caring what happens to your fellow humans. There are many more examples, but I went with that one. I am curious if you feel I was out of line or not. They all know I am an atheist. It is no secret. I think there are a few members that won't admit to non-belief, but I can't prove it and I would not out them either.

No. Fairly accurate comparison. However I'd never go to a church and bug them in their house....if that makes sense.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
01-03-2016, 02:10 PM
(01-03-2016 02:04 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I am curious if you feel I was out of line or not. They all know I am an atheist. It is no secret.

Hardly. Seems almost benign to me.

Out of line would be asking him if he didn’t think he was too old to believe in fairy tales, unless of course you were out having a drink with him somewhere and the conversation came up. Evil_monster

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
01-03-2016, 02:26 PM
My wife drags me to church about once a year. I reminder I don't going for the god she believes in but her. When we do go bit my tongue ride it out and get out of there. Thankfully it's not as long as a Catholic mass so I it's like taking off a band-aid.

As far as making comments to the priest. That's on you. I keep my atheism to myself for the sake of my wife. She has some close friends and family that are die hard believers and I don't want them to turning on her due to me. My feeling would be how would you feel while standing in a museum and some guy walked up to you to tell you about Jesus.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
01-03-2016, 02:45 PM
(01-03-2016 02:26 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  My wife drags me to church about once a year. I reminder I don't going for the god she believes in but her. When we do go bit my tongue ride it out and get out of there. Thankfully it's not as long as a Catholic mass so I it's like taking off a band-aid.

As far as making comments to the priest. That's on you. I keep my atheism to myself for the sake of my wife. She has some close friends and family that are die hard believers and I don't want them to turning on her due to me. My feeling would be how would you feel while standing in a museum and some guy walked up to you to tell you about Jesus.

Gandhi said: “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

What happened to peace, love, understanding and acceptance? Acceptance is without qualification. It isn't acceptance provided that you are a christard.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
01-03-2016, 03:11 PM
Personally I think you are going above and beyond..................so out of line????...........definitely not in terms of the local xtians and keeping yourn other half happy.........but if you're referring to your own principles, then only you can be the judge.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
01-03-2016, 03:44 PM
(01-03-2016 02:04 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  My wife drags me off to church on occasion, usually when I forget to turn off the alarm clock on Saturday night before bed. When I do go, I enjoy talking to the pastor after the service about my thoughts. Especially since he seems to talk about some atheist he met and had to deal with, just about every service I have been to. I won't go into every detail, but I will say I compared the god of the bible to little Anthony Fremont of (The Twilight Zone). He said "God does not punish.". I beg to differ. I asked if the whole pillar of salt thing rang a bell. That was just for turning around and looking back or in other words caring what happens to your fellow humans. There are many more examples, but I went with that one. I am curious if you feel I was out of line or not. They all know I am an atheist. It is no secret. I think there are a few members that won't admit to non-belief, but I can't prove it and I would not out them either.

Only by their standards, which require you to nod and smile vacantly while believing that every spoonful of bullshit is Divine Wisdom.

By normal civilized standards that was pretty tame.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
01-03-2016, 03:50 PM
If the person is open and discussing how they have talked to atheists in yadda yadda yadda ways and all that. Then there is nothing out of line in talking to the person in a way that may be challenging.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
01-03-2016, 03:58 PM
I would say you were not out of line and it's his job to discuss his religion right? So he can't expect everyone to agree with him or else he's just preaching to the choir...i mean as a metaphor but also literally. I once told my fiance that God/Yahweh is a wizard who found a way to become immortal and ended becoming so powerful he was able to create entire universes and eventually created ours, populated our planet and perhaps messes with us from time to time just because he can but mostly leaves us alone. Little Anthony is a similar comparison, just because someone is very powerful, doesn't mean they are very good or very merciful but little Anthony does have a set of arbitrary rules to follow or else you get sent somewhere very unpleasant and he can read your thoughts so even just thinking something bad will be enough to be punished, if that's not the most perfect metaphor for Yahweh I don't know what is.
01-03-2016, 05:57 PM

No, it doesn't sound like you've stepped out of line. -And I'm saying this with the expectation that you conducted yourself respectfully. If the pastor makes a statement to that you take exception to, then he should be able to either justify his claims or gracefully accept that you have come to a different conclusion.