Was I wrong to do this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2017, 11:51 PM
Was I wrong to do this?
As some of you know, my grandfather died last week and my born again sister is doing the eulogy. She is a pretty good writer but I know she is going to pretty hardcore jeebus. She is an evangelical, the kind that my grandpa, who was catholic, didn't like. Oh the irony. So anyway, she sends the family an email with the following:

Quote:Hi all,

As I'm writing Grandpa's eulogy (no pressure or anything after Joe's epic one for Grandma!) I'd like to include contributions from those who want to provide them.
The Scripture I've been using as a guide is Deuteronomy 6:5-9 "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments I give to you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road; when you lie down & when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands & bind them on your foreheads; write them in the door frames of your houses and on your gates." Those verses felt particularly relevant as I try to relate his impact, because Grandpa didn't just talk about his values or what mattered to him, he also lived them by example (albeit an ornery one).

So if you'd like to shoot me an email in response, here are a couple questions that might help narrow down what I'm looking for...

-- Is there a particular statement/favorite saying of Grandpa's that made an impact on you?
-- Was there something you observed in him, or a particular habit, that stands stands out in your memories of him?
-- How will you "take Grandpa with you" for the rest of your life?

Thanks in advance & love to all,
Em

Well this took me a bit by surprise so I sent the following response:

Quote:So you're using a passage that was a warning to not listen to the heathen you are about to commit an act of genocide against as a guide to remember our grandfather? Seriously, that's the context of that passage, Emily. Just pointing that out.

--the rest of my message.

I really don't want to fight about it but my sister is one of those arrogant pompous-ass christians who just think the world doesn't get it like she does. I know she meant well, but I really just couldn't help myself. That fucking passage is dark and nasty and these people just don't seem to get that.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
18-01-2017, 12:35 AM
RE: Was I wrong to do this?
I think your ok for pointing it out and wanting to keep it respectable.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
18-01-2017, 12:42 AM
Does she know that you're one of those nonbelievers?

If so...she likely won't take what you're saying to mean much....

if not it might encourage her to read it a bit more thoroughly to allow for context.

Hugs and i'm sorry for your loss.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

18-01-2017, 12:52 AM
Why did she get that job?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
18-01-2017, 01:12 AM
I wouldn't go to the funeral.
18-01-2017, 01:38 AM
Evangelicals love that verse. Perhaps you could suggest to her another one with a less bloodthirsty connotation? It sounds like there's gonna be a lot of Jesus if she has anything to do with the eulogy, so at least make it sanitized Jesus.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
18-01-2017, 01:50 AM
You could relive the old days at the theatre when the show was bad..... Consider

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
18-01-2017, 05:35 AM
Was I wrong to do this?
(17-01-2017 11:51 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  As some of you know, my grandfather died last week and my born again sister is doing the eulogy. She is a pretty good writer but I know she is going to pretty hardcore jeebus. She is an evangelical, the kind that my grandpa, who was catholic, didn't like. Oh the irony. So anyway, she sends the family an email with the following:

Quote:Hi all,

As I'm writing Grandpa's eulogy (no pressure or anything after Joe's epic one for Grandma!) I'd like to include contributions from those who want to provide them.
The Scripture I've been using as a guide is Deuteronomy 6:5-9 "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments I give to you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road; when you lie down & when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands & bind them on your foreheads; write them in the door frames of your houses and on your gates." Those verses felt particularly relevant as I try to relate his impact, because Grandpa didn't just talk about his values or what mattered to him, he also lived them by example (albeit an ornery one).

So if you'd like to shoot me an email in response, here are a couple questions that might help narrow down what I'm looking for...

-- Is there a particular statement/favorite saying of Grandpa's that made an impact on you?
-- Was there something you observed in him, or a particular habit, that stands stands out in your memories of him?
-- How will you "take Grandpa with you" for the rest of your life?

Thanks in advance & love to all,
Em

Quote:So you're using a passage that was a warning to not listen to the heathen you are about to commit an act of genocide against as a guide to remember our grandfather? Seriously, that's the context of that passage, Emily. Just pointing that out.

--the rest of my message.

I really don't want to fight about it but my sister is one of those arrogant pompous-ass christians who just think the world doesn't get it like she does. I know she meant well, but I really just couldn't help myself. That fucking passage is dark and nasty and these people just don't seem to get that.

It seems a bit insensitive to take a swipe at your sister in the midst of preparing for a funeral for a loved one, don't you think?

In another context it might have been funny, here it doesn't look well for you.

Secondly resentment towards your siblings, is one of those things that has a life long impact, something to consider when attempting to craft that relationship.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
18-01-2017, 05:56 AM
I hate that fucking double standard. Theists are allowed to say whatever the fuck they want at a loved one's funeral, but if an atheist has a family member die, we are even in that context expected to put up with the sky hero talk.

I get not poking someone in a moment of morning, but lets not kid ourselves, atheists DO NOT have the same ability to speak at a time of mourning equally.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
18-01-2017, 06:03 AM
(18-01-2017 05:35 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 11:51 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  As some of you know, my grandfather died last week and my born again sister is doing the eulogy. She is a pretty good writer but I know she is going to pretty hardcore jeebus. She is an evangelical, the kind that my grandpa, who was catholic, didn't like. Oh the irony. So anyway, she sends the family an email with the following:

It seems a bit insensitive to take a swipe at your sister in the midst of preparing for a funeral for a loved one, don't you think?

In another context it might have been funny, here it doesn't look well for you.

Secondly resentment towards your siblings, is one of those things that has a life long impact, something to consider when attempting to craft that relationship.

I think it is insulting for theists to expect atheist to shut up when it is their loved one.

Passive aggressive bullshit assumption that they are right. Now NO my human empathy DOES make me bight my tongue. But for any theist who may read this. Realize it or not, you are being dicks to atheists when we have our loved ones die. No we would prefer you not tell us you will pray for us. We would prefer you not talk about a fictional after life you have no evidence for. We would prefer you not quote old books of mythology. We would prefer you simply let us cry and mourn and talk about the good times we had with our loved one.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Brian37's post