Was Jesus illiterate?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2013, 12:56 PM
RE: Was Jesus illiterate?
(21-07-2013 09:54 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:According to the bible, he was literate.

According to the bible he also walked on water, cursed fig trees and came back from the dead.

The bible says a lot of silly shit. So what?

As the bible and non canonical books are the only source for information on Jesus, then its all we have to go,on, whether real or not.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2013, 12:59 PM
(21-07-2013 12:56 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(21-07-2013 09:54 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  According to the bible he also walked on water, cursed fig trees and came back from the dead.

The bible says a lot of silly shit. So what?

As the bible and non canonical books are the only source for information on Jesus, then its all we have to go,on, whether real or not.

The key point being "real or not".Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-07-2013, 02:32 PM
If the bible said the character of Jesus was literate, then he probably wasn't.
Book is just FULL of lies. It's as if it was written by the creator of evil himself.

Let's see, son of a carpenter. (He apparently didn't have a job so he is referred to as the son of someone who worked for a living)
Drank wine a lot and hung out in the brothels. Had more than a few friends who were illiterate and also jobless.

It's a coin toss and frankly I don't really care one way or the other.
You may as well started a thread asking if he is right or left handed.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
21-07-2013, 03:21 PM
Quote:As the bible and non canonical books are the only source for information on Jesus, then its all we have to go,on, whether real or not.

Yes and in Star Wars, Luke Skywalker blows up the death star. Fictional characters can do whatever their author wants them to do. Hell...Superman can leap tall buildings in a single bound.
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
21-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Was Jesus illiterate?
(21-07-2013 03:21 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:As the bible and non canonical books are the only source for information on Jesus, then its all we have to go,on, whether real or not.

Yes and in Star Wars, Luke Skywalker blows up the death star. Fictional characters can do whatever their author wants them to do. Hell...Superman can leap tall buildings in a single bound.

This.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
21-07-2013, 07:57 PM
I don't know about Jesus, but horseloveridge definitely seems to be blind enough to revive a two year old thread.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
22-07-2013, 12:28 AM
(15-10-2011 10:54 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(14-10-2011 05:01 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  -The apostles were described as "uneducated and ignorant men" in Acts 4:13. People tend to surround themselves with like-minded people. No one wants to hang out with dumbasses or feel stupid by associating with a superior mind.

This doesn't necessarily mean they were illiterate. It just means they didn't have the kind of advanced theological training of a seminary would provide today.

Jesus didn't need to leave a written record because he had a different way to make sure his teachings were preserved.

Quote:These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you. But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.
(John 14:25-26 ESV)

They didn't have "advanced theological training" from spending years with Jesus? What exactly do you think they talked about all that time? You only think that it's logical that Jesus didn't leave a written record because he didn't and you feel that you have to defend this idea that Jesus always did the right thing. I'm quite certain that if Jesus had left a written record then you'd be defending that as logical, too.

I imagine that Jesus was illiterate for the last reason listed -- that public schooling wasn't yet a thing and so most people were illiterate. It's just a matter of probability.

BTW, theophilus, your scripture quote completely misses the point. What you're assuming from it (that isn't found in the quote itself) is that Jesus "sent the Holy Spirit" to make sure that everyone knew what he wanted them to know, but it's clear from history that no one has ever learned anything from the Holy Spirit that couldn't be known from elsewhere. If there was no New Testament, then people wouldn't know anything about Jesus, Holy Spirit or not.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
23-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Jesus was unmarried in the day because He was engaged--to His bride, the church. The Last Supper has elements of a typical ancient betrothal ceremony.

Also, Jesus wasn't merely knowledgeable re: scripture. He confounded theological arguments/disputes that had persisted in His culture for over a century by quoting scripture and making profound pronouncements. He was brilliant.

Paul reads as a skillful writer whether you study him in Greek or English. The other apostles, less so--this makes sense since Paul had some classical training under his belt.
23-07-2013, 02:44 PM
(23-07-2013 02:03 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Jesus was unmarried in the day because He was engaged--to His bride, the church. The Last Supper has elements of a typical ancient betrothal ceremony.

Also, Jesus wasn't merely knowledgeable re: scripture. He confounded theological arguments/disputes that had persisted in His culture for over a century by quoting scripture and making profound pronouncements. He was brilliant.

Paul reads as a skillful writer whether you study him in Greek or English. The other apostles, less so--this makes sense since Paul had some classical training under his belt.

Church? What church? There was no church.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
23-07-2013, 02:45 PM
(23-07-2013 02:03 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Jesus was unmarried in the day because He was engaged--to His bride, the church.

Dude, Jesus never mentioned the Church because he was too busy tokin' it up on fishing trips with the guys.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post