Was Mary asked to come get Jesus for being mad

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
23-03-2016, 10:47 AM
RE: Was Mary asked to come get Jesus for being mad
(11-02-2016 01:14 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I read somewhere that Jesus family was asked to come get him because he was suspected to be mentally I'll. I've tried to find more on this but with no luck. So anyone know anything about this? Thanks

Yes, some of the writers of the Gospel highlighted that he was seen by as crazy:
"When His own people heard of this, they went out to take custody of Him; for they were saying, “He has lost His senses.” (Mark 3:21)

He did seem to have tendencies associated often with manic episodes, a belief that he was on a special mission from God, perhaps God himself, etc...

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2016, 11:58 AM
(23-03-2016 09:44 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 12:03 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  *raises from his seat*

Your Honour,

i hereby plead "not guilty"
  • I have never met this man
  • I never did anything wrong to this man, and i never intended to
  • I dont even know who this man is
  • The prosecution cant even establish that he ever lived
  • If, so he was deceased, almost 2000y before i was born (see point #1 and #2)
  • This is part of a conspiracy to enslave my mind and my physical self
  • I am asking you to make justice prevail!

thank you

*sits down at his desk again*

1. The overwhelming majority of scholars of all persuasions are convinced Jesus of Nazareth was a real person, an historical figure.
And that changes what exactly?

The Q Continuum Wrote:The Bible contains two "testaments" or wills of God to leave you an inheritance.
The bible says this, and the bible says that, and i say you are a deluded, dishonest, ignorant piece of work. How about that?

The Q Continuum Wrote:PS. When your "day in court" comes, you CANNOT say you haven't heard--me and others at TTA and in your life circumstances have "testified" to you "under oath" already!
Reminds me of this guy

And you know what? Achmed also has no thoughts of his own and needs another guy with his hands up his ass to make him talk.

So take your empty, dishonest, evil, vile and most of all cowardly (aka. pretending they are someone elses) threats and shove them up where Jeff Dunhams right hand is. Ok?
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
23-03-2016, 12:03 PM
(23-03-2016 09:37 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 09:58 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  This makes about as much sense as a perfectly healthy person dying in an automobile accident, as an example to show the world how bad cancer really is.

That is to say, it makes no sense at all. And neither does anything else you say.

That is because you are uncomfortable with the notion of sin:

I know all about sin -- I was raised Catholic. I have since concluded that it is a silly concept -- but even if I accept your concept of sin, it still makes absolutely no sense that I can be absolved of this sin by God killing himself (or allowing us to kill him). You have yet to even attempt to explain how that makes any sense. Because it doesn't and you can't.

I'm done trying to discuss anything with you. You just keep repeating the same nonsensical dogma without even attempting to answer any of my questions. You claim you're here to learn, but you're not learning a goddamn thing.
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
23-03-2016, 04:11 PM
(23-03-2016 10:47 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 01:14 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I read somewhere that Jesus family was asked to come get him because he was suspected to be mentally I'll. I've tried to find more on this but with no luck. So anyone know anything about this? Thanks

Yes, some of the writers of the Gospel highlighted that he was seen by as crazy:
"When His own people heard of this, they went out to take custody of Him; for they were saying, “He has lost His senses.” (Mark 3:21)

He did seem to have tendencies associated often with manic episodes, a belief that he was on a special mission from God, perhaps God himself, etc...

Why is it assumed he was a mission from god and not just an insaine person?
24-03-2016, 05:36 AM
(23-03-2016 04:11 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Why is it assumed he was a mission from god and not just an insaine person?

Well, If he wasn't on a mission from God, than can we safely chose the lunatic option, from a CS Lewis, liar, lunatic or lord.

A good natured bipolar man, who in his fits of mania believed he was chosen by God, and got strung up by the Romans for it.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
24-03-2016, 07:29 AM
(23-03-2016 09:46 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 09:37 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  That is because you are uncomfortable with the notion of sin

Well, no. We just consider it rather incoherent and silly, mostly, much like other religions' concepts of things like karma, or being buried with your possessions to take them with you.

You find it "silly" that those things Bible says are sin leading to death actually kills people?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-03-2016, 07:31 AM
(23-03-2016 09:57 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 09:44 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  1. The overwhelming majority of scholars of all persuasions are convinced Jesus of Nazareth was a real person, an historical figure.

That's lovely. What evidence do they have that the Bible stories about him are true?

Follow my reasoning here:

1. Jesus was an historical (real) person.

2. Extraordinary claims were made about Him, written and oral, in His day and shortly (not centuries) after.

3. Multitudes of people in the geographic area where He lived trusted Him.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
24-03-2016, 07:36 AM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2016 07:40 AM by The Organic Chemist.)
(24-03-2016 05:36 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 04:11 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Why is it assumed he was a mission from god and not just an insaine person?

Well, If he wasn't on a mission from God, than can we safely chose the lunatic option, from a CS Lewis, liar, lunatic or lord.

A good natured bipolar man, who in his fits of mania believed he was chosen by God, and got strung up by the Romans for it.

How about legend?

Legend definition:
1. a nonhistorical or unverifiable story handed down by tradition from earlier times and popularly accepted as historical.
2.the body of stories of this kind, especially as they relate to a particular people, group, or clan

Sounds like the Jesus story to the letter. We know that people invented gods in the past and I am assuming that you think that all non-christian gods are made up. If that is the case, we have literally hundreds of made-up gods, many with ancient books that "verify" their "truth." Is it so wild to think that it is possible that there was a literal Yeshua who was a lunatic or liar, whose story was vastly exaggerated and exploited by others for whatever reason is nothing more than a legend? In light of the hundreds of other gods in the past and the devotion of the masses to them, it seems more plausible that Jesus is a legend in the same light. It certainly seems more plausible since we know that there are liars, lunatics, and legends and none of these three require the intervention of a supernatural force which has never, ever been shown to even be possible.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
24-03-2016, 07:36 AM
(23-03-2016 12:03 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 09:37 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  That is because you are uncomfortable with the notion of sin:

I know all about sin -- I was raised Catholic. I have since concluded that it is a silly concept -- but even if I accept your concept of sin, it still makes absolutely no sense that I can be absolved of this sin by God killing himself (or allowing us to kill him). You have yet to even attempt to explain how that makes any sense. Because it doesn't and you can't.

I'm done trying to discuss anything with you. You just keep repeating the same nonsensical dogma without even attempting to answer any of my questions. You claim you're here to learn, but you're not learning a goddamn thing.

1. I'm learning many things--that doesn't mean I HAVE to deconvert or stop evangelizing. You are learning many things. Are you closer to Jesus now or farther or the same distance?

2. Let me try another tack. Start with the beginning, with Genesis. We see two things, at least:

a) People given their natural tendencies destroy and ruin. "Don't eat this fruit, and the rest of paradise is yours."

b) People given their natural tendencies/free will blame shift. "It wasn't me, Lord, it was Eve." "It wasn't me, Lord, it was... the serpent."

Since the beginning, people have attempted to assign their sins to other people/things. "I'm addicted." "The devil made me do it." "I got angry at Q and called him disgusting names, but it's his fault." "All the problems in this world are from religious people." "The atheists are causing trouble again."

Repeating, you KNOW and the Bible's earliest witness is that men blame others for their sins--assign their sins to others.

Jesus "went with this". Our sins were assigned to Him.

You have been moved by such expressions before. "YES, you are right. I made you angry. I'm sincerely sorry. I will try to be more open, more patient at TTA." What Jesus did is beautiful in its simplicity, its surrender, its willingness to do its utmost to "treat people as you want to be treated... even to dying".

PS. Sorry you were a Catholic before. I don't blame you for being an atheist afterward!

24-03-2016, 08:07 AM
(24-03-2016 07:36 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(24-03-2016 05:36 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Well, If he wasn't on a mission from God, than can we safely chose the lunatic option, from a CS Lewis, liar, lunatic or lord.

How about legend?

....Is it so wild to think that it is possible that there was a literal Yeshua who was a lunatic or liar, whose story was vastly exploited by others for whatever reason is nothing more than a legend?

I'm not sure why you're suggesting a legend as a third option, while suggesting it was a legend possibly based on a historical lunatic?

That seems to be more or less of an agreement with the view I suggested.