Was Mary asked to come get Jesus for being mad

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
30-03-2016, 07:12 AM
RE: Was Mary asked to come get Jesus for being mad
(29-03-2016 10:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(29-03-2016 08:47 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  So you basically just want to not see whether something even has an explanation. Got it. Lucky for you and the rest of the world, some actually care about real answers and seek to find them instead of making one up.

I'm not sure where you get that from, clearly not from anything I wrote. Everything has an explanation, and I'm always interested in hearing them, and judging whether they hold as the more persuasive one or not. If someone has an alternative explanation they hold to mine, than I'm all ears.

Quote:And your "numerous writers" is actually really just one, Einstein, who used the term "spooky" in an effort highlight what he viewed as an absurdity. Yeah, I know the EPR paper had other authors, but Einstein was easily the most famously outspoken. You are taking the use of the term "spooky" out of context. Your link was completely vacuous since you fail to begin to undersrand what they were referring to.

You seemed to have derived all this, from a single sentence, that it all appears rather "spooky" to me. I don't think many people would argue that the quantum world is a bit weird, as well as the difficulty in reconciling the manifest image (our common sense understanding of the world), with the scientific image.

But I think you might have attached more to my use of the word "spooky", than I actually did.

I'm on my phone. I'll answer this one when I'm back on a pc.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
30-03-2016, 07:18 AM
(29-03-2016 06:52 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  Mary had a little lamb. The midwife was surprised.

But when Old McDonald had a farm
they really opened their eyes!
30-03-2016, 07:46 AM
(30-03-2016 06:05 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Yeah...unfortunately my experience was one of a personal nature that no one else really witnessed. It's way off topic anyway. Not to mention my experience isn't proof for any one else and never will be.

That is quite likely the most sensible thing you have posted. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
30-03-2016, 09:20 AM
(27-03-2016 08:49 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(24-03-2016 02:41 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  No supernatural element can be demonstrated as possible, if we were to observe an actual supernatural event, we'd either define it as a product of an unknown natural cause, or label whatever new found properties being observed as natural.

Here I would agree with you sort of. While there could be a phenomenon that is currently unexplainable that is temporarily placed in the unexplained category, I do think that if the supernatural were observed, it may be completely unexplainable.

For example: if prayer actually did something observable like consistently grew limbs back or made bald men hairy again. We would try to explain it naturally but if prayer consistently worked, we would likely not be able to find a natural explanation.

Since you brought it up in this manner, what would you look for in terms of supernatural vs natural phenomenon that is not understood yet? (i.e. lightning 500 years ago).

Edit: something else, if prayer was testable, verifiable, and supernatural, we should see it's fruits and not be able to explain it. It would also prevent blasphemy, which would be flasely attributing or refuting things done by god. Why would a god NOT make it obvious of his presence unless it doesn't want to be seen?

Prayer to Jesus Christ is those things. I read the Bible and was moved enough to ask God to present to me rock solid, falsifiable evidence of Himself. He did so. Christians ask you to do the same, since you WILL come to be a Christian if you do so.

Now, I hear from TTAtheists once in a while that they asked for God for something like that long ago... but remember to give God a time limit. Tell him you want to know right away the truth you seek!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
30-03-2016, 11:04 AM
(30-03-2016 09:20 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(27-03-2016 08:49 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Here I would agree with you sort of. While there could be a phenomenon that is currently unexplainable that is temporarily placed in the unexplained category, I do think that if the supernatural were observed, it may be completely unexplainable.

For example: if prayer actually did something observable like consistently grew limbs back or made bald men hairy again. We would try to explain it naturally but if prayer consistently worked, we would likely not be able to find a natural explanation.

Since you brought it up in this manner, what would you look for in terms of supernatural vs natural phenomenon that is not understood yet? (i.e. lightning 500 years ago).

Edit: something else, if prayer was testable, verifiable, and supernatural, we should see it's fruits and not be able to explain it. It would also prevent blasphemy, which would be flasely attributing or refuting things done by god. Why would a god NOT make it obvious of his presence unless it doesn't want to be seen?

Prayer to Jesus Christ is those things. I read the Bible and was moved enough to ask God to present to me rock solid, falsifiable evidence of Himself. He did so. Christians ask you to do the same, since you WILL come to be a Christian if you do so.

Now, I hear from TTAtheists once in a while that they asked for God for something like that long ago... but remember to give God a time limit. Tell him you want to know right away the truth you seek!

Facepalm

There's a tribe on an island northeast of Australia who worship Prince Philip of the UK as a god. They're so convinced of this that they hear his voice speaking to them and like your dead guy on a stick they are waiting for Philip's return. At least Philip is still alive so their wish may be fulfilled.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/meet-th...09a4984619

There's not a religious belief anywhere in the world whose believers don't hear auditory replies or have "mysterious" stuff revealed to them from their gods. Your make believe god is no different than a Hindu or an American Indian. It's all based on mental delusions.

Grow up for shit sakes!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 5 users Like dancefortwo's post
30-03-2016, 05:14 PM
(30-03-2016 09:20 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(27-03-2016 08:49 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Here I would agree with you sort of. While there could be a phenomenon that is currently unexplainable that is temporarily placed in the unexplained category, I do think that if the supernatural were observed, it may be completely unexplainable.

Q, you have less credibility to me than a used car salesman named Richard Nixon. If there is a god, you owe him an apology for your poor reasoning, poor apologetics, arrogance, and sheer dishonest nature that you claim to represent.

Prayer: dear god, whoever you are, please excise this continuuous boil.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
31-03-2016, 10:21 AM
So you are saying:

1. It is illogical to pray to God--even though adherents of religions, even vastly different traditions, have "told you" over and again that is the path.

2. It is illogical to ask God to come to you sooner rather than later--you'd prefer, say, a deathbed visitation on the way to perdition.

3. It is illogical to ask an omniscient/omnipresent being for particular proof before trusting Him for salvation.

I'm going to say, taken together, that atheists are living in denial. What would you ask of God that would be so different from what I've outlined in my last post?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
31-03-2016, 10:39 AM
(31-03-2016 10:21 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  So you are saying:

1. It is illogical to pray to God--even though adherents of religions, even vastly different traditions, have "told you" over and again that is the path.

2. It is illogical to ask God to come to you sooner rather than later--you'd prefer, say, a deathbed visitation on the way to perdition.

3. It is illogical to ask an omniscient/omnipresent being for particular proof before trusting Him for salvation.

I'm going to say, taken together, that atheists are living in denial. What would you ask of God that would be so different from what I've outlined in my last post?

I thought you said earlier, in this thread, that it was prophecy that convinced you before you even trusted in jesus.

So are you saying you prayed to a god/jesus that you didn't believe in or trust for proof of them and the understanding of the prophecies is what the prove was that was given to you?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
31-03-2016, 10:39 AM
(30-03-2016 06:05 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Yeah...unfortunately my experience was one of a personal nature that no one else really witnessed. It's way off topic anyway. Not to mention my experience isn't proof for any one else and never will be.

Can you please explain what this experience was in broad, non-personal terms? And why is it that nobody else witnessed it? You've claimed—several times here—to have witnessed evidence supporting your god's existence, so it seems strange that you can't produce that evidence when asked.

And why won't you let us be the judge of whether or not your evidence is proof or not? If you think it can't stand up to independent scrutiny, then it can't really be sound evidence can it? If you're going to make an extravagant claim that you assert proves something, then you need to have something of substance in its support, otherwise we're more than entitled to write off your claims as pure bullshit. (Thanks CS.)

And I can't accept your claim that this is "off topic" as a get out of jail free card. It looks very much as though you're trying to avoid my questions.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
31-03-2016, 10:44 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2016 04:45 PM by The Organic Chemist.)
(31-03-2016 10:21 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  So you are saying:

Your posts, taken together, represent the lamest witness for an intelligent being I have ever heard. You probably have made more atheists out of the lurkers than anyone else here with the possible exception of COTW. I applaud your commitment and keep it coming as the world needs more people not believing in superstitious nonsense.

- Paul Dirac