Was happier as a Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2014, 08:49 PM
RE: Was happier as a Theist
I have to say I certainly don't miss shitting myself over end of the world prophesies.

I went through a period of wondering "why didn't I take the blue pill", but it passed.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2014, 11:29 PM
Fill your emptiness with reality. Join a meetup group. Make friends with real people. Go on adventures. Do things you've always wanted to do. Help people that your god couldn't or wouldn't. Be better and more powerful, more moral than the god who only ever existed in your mind

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
26-07-2014, 11:35 PM
It can take a while to get that you've really lost nothing. Everything you liked about religion, (well most anyway) is still within your reach, under different forms. I used to wish I could believe again. Then realized everything I liked about religion was really something else, that's still available in other ways. I think religion was really an "asthetic" experience for me. I just had to rearrange the "s" and add an "i". Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
27-07-2014, 12:30 AM
(26-07-2014 03:37 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  So, sadly, life has become quite empty without faith. I suppose all there is to live for is hobbies, a good girlfriend or wife if such a thing were to ever be likely for me, a good movie, a friendship, or material possessions which I don't really give a shit about, provided that I have a cell phone and a roof over my head.

But sadly it is an empty life. I was happier when I had simpleminded faith in a lie.

"Boo hoo, I don't have meaning in my life."
You realize how utterly ridiculous your plight is right? Newsflash pal, if your god wasn't real even when you did believe, then the ethereal sense of meaning wasn't real either. Guess what that means? That's right, it means that you can use anything to replace god to give your life meaning. How is it you sad sacks can't just enjoy your life for what it is??

Is there anything more annoying than a sad atheist whining about how much he misses groveling before his old master? Censored
[+] 1 user Likes Jagare's post
27-07-2014, 12:31 AM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2014 12:35 AM by Jagare.)
Double posted
Mod, Delete this post.
27-07-2014, 12:56 AM
(27-07-2014 12:31 AM)Jagare Wrote:  Double posted
Mod, Delete this post.

Please don't talk to the mods like that....Rolleyes

.......and are you sure enough to be unsure?Consider
27-07-2014, 12:57 AM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2014 01:00 AM by miranda_face.)
It can be hard when you first start grappling with your faith. It was for me; I felt like I'd been a sucker for 10 years and that every argument I gave in defense of my faith was totally baseless and ridiculous. And there is a sort of feeling of loneliness for a lot of people, but trust me--it will get better, and you are far better off not having faith. Maturing is a part of it, and it's not supposed to be easy. As some of the comments say, you do have to have a "growing up" of sorts. Life in general is hard, with or without faith, and at some point you have to let go of the hand that was guiding you along the way. It is better that way though. And now, you don't have to depend on a religion or deity to control or guide your life. Rely on yourself, and take strength from the people in your life who care about you. And if it becomes too much of a burden there are a lot of support groups out there and resources to help you through what you're dealing with, including the issues you are facing with your mental health. In fact, you're open to many more positive ways of dealing with those things instead of relying on a god to guide you through it. God's not real, but people are, and they're there to help if you seek them out.

Reality bites, but I'd rather face it and grow as a human being than put my life in the hands of some false god. And again--you will be far better off. Things will get better, and you'll be happy you stuck to your change.

"Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away?" --Ellen Ripley
[+] 3 users Like miranda_face's post
27-07-2014, 06:48 AM
Not everything has to make you happy. I am 45 years old and I can still remember moment I realized I was going to die. I was somewhere around 10 or maybe younger. As you get older some days always stick fresh in your mind as the rest of childhood becomes blurry. It was one of the steps I took that abandoned the fairy tale aspect of childhood and religion. I still don't want to die but I will. Religions can be a comfortable warm blanket in the face of cold reality but reality doesn't have to be cold. Reality can be quite warm but its not something you get from reading a post and just switching your mind- its a journey. Take a few steps down that road, I don't think you'll look back.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
27-07-2014, 04:16 PM
It is far more depressing to imagine that the world was created by god. I don't understand why people would willing choose to attribute every good and redeemable thing about them self to some other third entity. According to the bible we are no better than dirt, empty and without substance, and only meaningful because god cares about us for some reason. Its the lowest and bases form of existence conceivable; like being a puppet. You are reduced to something less than inanimate so you don't have to take responsibility for your own life. With religion you have nothing. If you have anything it's not really yours, you owe it to god. Even your "virtues", the very redeeming qualities that make you who you are, are gifts bestowed by the creator, denied to other people because "mysterious ways". I much prefer the version where the universe doesn't care I exist but I get to be responsible for my own life and claim ownership of who I am.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
27-07-2014, 06:33 PM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2014 06:46 PM by Wicked Clown.)
(26-07-2014 11:29 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Help people that your god couldn't or wouldn't.

I love what you said there! Thumbsup

Well, I'm not two faced when it comes to anything else that I know of. But when it comes to Religion I have many faces and speak out in favor of many different sides.

no certainty one way or the other, and have an open mind to many philosophies including Atheism of course, so at times can be very anti-Religion and anti-God but also defending the positive results I've seen, and therefore will speak favorably about Atheism and the good things I see in Religion.

I've seen wicked selfish people transformed by Religion and are altruistic and passionate about helping people. I wouldn't want them to lose their faith. would encourage them to keep the faith provided they aren't telling sinners and unbelievers that they are going to Hell!