Was happier as a Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2014, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2014 06:46 PM by Wicked Clown.)
RE: Was happier as a Theist
(27-07-2014 12:30 AM)Jagare Wrote:  
(26-07-2014 03:37 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  So, sadly, life has become quite empty without faith. I suppose all there is to live for is hobbies, a good girlfriend or wife if such a thing were to ever be likely for me, a good movie, a friendship, or material possessions which I don't really give a shit about, provided that I have a cell phone and a roof over my head.

But sadly it is an empty life. I was happier when I had simpleminded faith in a lie.

"Boo hoo, I don't have meaning in my life."
You realize how utterly ridiculous your plight is right? Newsflash pal, if your god wasn't real even when you did believe, then the ethereal sense of meaning wasn't real either. Guess what that means? That's right, it means that you can use anything to replace god to give your life meaning. How is it you sad sacks can't just enjoy your life for what it is??

Is there anything more annoying than a sad atheist whining about how much he misses groveling before his old master? Censored

Just being honest! It's nothing to brag about and something to be ashamed about, but that is honestly where I'm at now and it is quite pathetic!No

Just talking about my faults. Trying to resolve them but will not pretend they aren't there or try to hide it.

"a sad atheist whining about how much he misses groveling before his old master?"

I'm a doubter with strong disgust for Religion but not an Atheist. I don't miss groveling before a master but the hope that was there and something eternal to live for, and a happiness that is beyond anything a human being, material possessions, worldly success, or the whole world could offer.

Yes, I miss the hope, the peace, and the joyful anticipation of eternal bliss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2014, 06:43 PM
(27-07-2014 12:57 AM)miranda_face Wrote:  It can be hard when you first start grappling with your faith. It was for me; I felt like I'd been a sucker for 10 years and that every argument I gave in defense of my faith was totally baseless and ridiculous. And there is a sort of feeling of loneliness for a lot of people, but trust me--it will get better, and you are far better off not having faith. Maturing is a part of it, and it's not supposed to be easy. As some of the comments say, you do have to have a "growing up" of sorts. Life in general is hard, with or without faith, and at some point you have to let go of the hand that was guiding you along the way. It is better that way though. And now, you don't have to depend on a religion or deity to control or guide your life. Rely on yourself, and take strength from the people in your life who care about you. And if it becomes too much of a burden there are a lot of support groups out there and resources to help you through what you're dealing with, including the issues you are facing with your mental health. In fact, you're open to many more positive ways of dealing with those things instead of relying on a god to guide you through it. God's not real, but people are, and they're there to help if you seek them out.

Reality bites, but I'd rather face it and grow as a human being than put my life in the hands of some false god. And again--you will be far better off. Things will get better, and you'll be happy you stuck to your change.

Great Post!

[Image: Great_Post.jpg]
27-07-2014, 08:37 PM
(26-07-2014 03:37 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  I definitely was more happy when I thought I had a future and this God of mine was in love with me and protecting me and heard the every thought and longing in my mind and heart and was going to provide for me, and my every trial or suffering was atoning for sin and was a test from God, and my share in the cross.

I felt more secure and that there was a plan for my life. If I wanted a wife and it was God's will,l he would send her and I would know when I met the one that God wanted me to marry, and if he wanted me to be celibate in order to be more dedicated to God, than I would know that as well.

In a sense I was free of many responsibilities Because I could just say, "it's all in God's hands".

It was great and awe inspiring to contemplate the magnificence of this God who spoke the world and this whole universe into existence and what he/she/it had in store for those who love him/her.

It was heart breaking and so empty when I realized this God wasn't faithful to his word and was very cruel hiding the truth from everyone and leaving those who dedicate themselves to him in darkness and confusion. I felt more and more bitter towards this God that is unwilling to be there for the orphan, to be a friend to the lonely and broken hearted, to ease the pain of those who are abandoned, unwanted, unloved, and infirm.

Suddenly, I felt all alone. I have no clue how to take care of myself or provide for a family like I had always wanted. I'm bipolar and suffer from mental illness and the damage I've done to myself through drug abuse and huffing, and God isn't going to heal me.

Suicide became much more tempting when it seemed that I could just decompose and disappear and be in no more pain or have to be held accountable to God.

So, sadly, life has become quite empty without faith. I suppose all there is to live for is hobbies, a good girlfriend or wife if such a thing were to ever be likely for me, a good movie, a friendship, or material possessions which I don't really give a shit about, provided that I have a cell phone and a roof over my head.

But sadly it is an empty life. I was happier when I had simpleminded faith in a lie.

You sir are being kind of pathetic. Being ripped away from what you once held as to be true is something that can be hard to deal with. BUT, it will pass.

Quote:So, sadly, life has become quite empty without faith. I suppose all there is to live for is hobbies, a good girlfriend or wife if such a thing were to ever be likely for me, a good movie, a friendship, or material possessions which I don't really give a shit about, provided that I have a cell phone and a roof over my head.

Faith was your ONLY reason for living? I do not believe that! Life is far more beautiful without a god and without a an afterlife. Out of all of the completely random possible constructions of nature that "could" had made something. YOU exist. Nopony built you, designed you, you were not certain or predetermined.

How can you not see the beauty to be so lucky. So ASTRONOMICALLY Lucky to be here to enjoy it while it lasts that you cannot see anything but beauty in this world?

Be proud to be a part of this existence. We will likely never see anything like it again.
In death, your atoms will become dirt, a tree, a butterfly, the wind.

You will be disseminated across the world and if your lucky, parts of you will reach space and travel to other galaxies, become part of a new world with a new intelligent species and begin anew there.

Stop thinking about these silly notions of responsibilities and security. You already have that with the people in your life around you anyway.

Just because there is not god, does not make having a future any more or less meaningful. Your acting as if your personal god is just going to "HAND" you a wife and a future.

That is not even the case when it comes to your bible. No where in the bible does it say that god "hands" people their future and everything in life to them without them having to actually work for it.

Your still going to have to put forth the effort to make something out of it.

What sounds worst to you? Dying and never being remembered, and nothing you did in life ever mattered?

Or

Dying and because you put forth the effort and made something special or did something wonderful for the world. That people will remember your name forever. Like writing a book or doing something historically important?

What sounds better to you?

I personally would like to work towards the later and find a nice ditch in history to cull out a hunk of and leave my name plak on it.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
27-07-2014, 09:35 PM
I agree with much of what you said, but I thought I had something eternal before that was more than any friend or spouse, material possession, career, or hobby, or anything the world could offer.

Now, what would make me happy is a good girl (which I've never had), a good career (unlikely), an education , parties (overrated)...well a meaningful job and having true love isn't anything small, but I give a rats ass about material possessions or nice clothes or vehicles.

The most meaningful thing in life is to ease the pain of someone who is suffering or bring joy and laughter to others. I've managed to do that a few times and it was the most meaningful thing. So, I'll have to figure out how to do more of that I guess. Often, with the best of intentions, I wind up making things worse.
29-07-2014, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2014 02:20 PM by Wicked Clown.)
(26-07-2014 05:29 PM)Sam Wrote:  I always found it a bit creepy when they said God was "in love" with me... Being all hetero and that.

God is actually a spirit without genitals. When he became a human being he had balls, but he created male and female in his image when He/She/It was completely spirit without gender. Or so the story goes.

Also, I don't think Jesus had a sexuality, as far as the story goes.

Dude I can love you and I could be madly in love with my children (if they existed) without it being sexual.

Quote:Just because there is not god, does not make having a future any more or less meaningful. Your acting as if your personal god is just going to "HAND" you a wife and a future.
Yes but the belief was there that when it was time for marriage the Holy Spirit would stir my heart in a way that I'd know if she was the right one. Likewise, there was a lot of peace in thinking that God was trying to guide me to the right vocation and calling for my life. Now I need to figure it out and that is an EXTREME challenge for me.
30-07-2014, 11:58 AM
(26-07-2014 03:37 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  I definitely was more happy when I thought I had a future and this God of mine was in love with me and protecting me and heard the every thought and longing in my mind and heart and was going to provide for me, and my every trial or suffering was atoning for sin and was a test from God, and my share in the cross.

I felt more secure and that there was a plan for my life. If I wanted a wife and it was God's will,l he would send her and I would know when I met the one that God wanted me to marry, and if he wanted me to be celibate in order to be more dedicated to God, than I would know that as well.

In a sense I was free of many responsibilities Because I could just say, "it's all in God's hands".

It was great and awe inspiring to contemplate the magnificence of this God who spoke the world and this whole universe into existence and what he/she/it had in store for those who love him/her.

It was heart breaking and so empty when I realized this God wasn't faithful to his word and was very cruel hiding the truth from everyone and leaving those who dedicate themselves to him in darkness and confusion. I felt more and more bitter towards this God that is unwilling to be there for the orphan, to be a friend to the lonely and broken hearted, to ease the pain of those who are abandoned, unwanted, unloved, and infirm.

Suddenly, I felt all alone. I have no clue how to take care of myself or provide for a family like I had always wanted. I'm bipolar and suffer from mental illness and the damage I've done to myself through drug abuse and huffing, and God isn't going to heal me.

Suicide became much more tempting when it seemed that I could just decompose and disappear and be in no more pain or have to be held accountable to God.

So, sadly, life has become quite empty without faith. I suppose all there is to live for is hobbies, a good girlfriend or wife if such a thing were to ever be likely for me, a good movie, a friendship, or material possessions which I don't really give a shit about, provided that I have a cell phone and a roof over my head.

You'll get over it. I went through some of that before I accepted the fact I am an atheist. Once you get to accept life is only what is in front of you, you will enjoy it a lot more. Every day is a gift, for real, not in the religious way. Enjoy it with out worrying that if you do not spend hours in prayer/evangelizing/etc you will end up in hell.
31-07-2014, 05:47 PM
(27-07-2014 08:37 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  

You sir are being kind of pathetic. Being ripped away from what you once held as to be true is something that can be hard to deal with. BUT, it will pass.

Quote:So, sadly, life has become quite empty without faith. I suppose all there is to live for is hobbies, a good girlfriend or wife if such a thing were to ever be likely for me, a good movie, a friendship, or material possessions which I don't really give a shit about, provided that I have a cell phone and a roof over my head.

Faith was your ONLY reason for living? I do not believe that! Life is far more beautiful without a god and without a an afterlife. Out of all of the completely random possible constructions of nature that "could" had made something. YOU exist. Nopony built you, designed you, you were not certain or predetermined.

How can you not see the beauty to be so lucky. So ASTRONOMICALLY Lucky to be here to enjoy it while it lasts that you cannot see anything but beauty in this world?

Be proud to be a part of this existence. We will likely never see anything like it again.
In death, your atoms will become dirt, a tree, a butterfly, the wind.

You will be disseminated across the world and if your lucky, parts of you will reach space and travel to other galaxies, become part of a new world with a new intelligent species and begin anew there.

Stop thinking about these silly notions of responsibilities and security. You already have that with the people in your life around you anyway.

Just because there is not god, does not make having a future any more or less meaningful. Your acting as if your personal god is just going to "HAND" you a wife and a future.

That is not even the case when it comes to your bible. No where in the bible does it say that god "hands" people their future and everything in life to them without them having to actually work for it.

Your still going to have to put forth the effort to make something out of it.

What sounds worst to you? Dying and never being remembered, and nothing you did in life ever mattered?

Or

Dying and because you put forth the effort and made something special or did something wonderful for the world. That people will remember your name forever. Like writing a book or doing something historically important?

What sounds better to you?

I personally would like to work towards the later and find a nice ditch in history to cull out a hunk of and leave my name plak on it.

Heh. I was predisposed for atheism originally because my familly was Liberal. Now that I see atheism as a good thing, I'm predisposed to Calvinism. Facepalm

Truth seeker.
31-07-2014, 06:03 PM
(31-07-2014 05:47 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(27-07-2014 08:37 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  

Now that I see atheism as a good thing, I'm predisposed to Calvinism. Facepalm

What does that mean?
31-07-2014, 06:19 PM
(31-07-2014 06:03 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  
(31-07-2014 05:47 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Now that I see atheism as a good thing, I'm predisposed to Calvinism. Facepalm

What does that mean?

The less desirable option always seems more rational to me.

Truth seeker.