Was lost, but now I'm found

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Was lost, but now I'm found
Hello all -
My name is Troy, and I'm a recent deconvert. I started thinking and scrutinizing probably 10 years ago, but have only really stopped sweeping the logical side of my brain under the carpet 8 months ago.
I'm still working through this whole experience in my psyche, as I was raised in a charismatic Pentecostal home in Southern Ontario Canada. I'm loving this journey though. My mind is clearer. I'm seeing my personal morals as personal morals dictated by culture, not a book.
I'm not out to anyone but two friends (fellow atheists), and I'm working my way to telling my wife of 7 years - although she's not overly committed to the faith, as we really have been church hoppers since we got married. As of late we haven't attended church at all and haven't for about 2 years. I'm still nervous how she's going to take it, as faith in god is all we have both ever known.
I'm very much in community with christians - I own a business with 2 pastors - albeit two very forward thinking pastors so we'll see how this plays out when I come out to them.
I'm happy to be here, and I can't wait to get in on these discussions...... I definitely lack this kind of community!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like saved's post
05-11-2012, 07:45 PM
RE: Was lost, but now I'm found
Welcome, Saved.
It will be interesting to see how things work out with your wife and business partners.
There are plenty of different people here with different experiences of coming out to family and friends.

Enjoy!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
05-11-2012, 08:02 PM
I can see "why" the wife.
I do not get why people HAVE to go around telling everyone what they do and don't believe,
when they KNOW it will unnecessarily cause a problem.
Who the fuck cares ?
If it's business, it's business.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Welcome Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
06-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Welcome!

[Image: vjp09.gif]
06-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Have fun.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
06-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Bucky...

Sometimes if it's a good friend... you feel like you're lying to them. Or in this case... I don't know, maybe his partners pray for guidance in the business. If you were asked to pray with someone, would you? I can't. Nowadays I just say I'd prefer not, but usually they can't leave it at that so I have to say something about not believing that stuff. I've got pretty good at making it short, but it can still be nerve wracking.

Welcome to the forum Smile