Was my response to theist too harsh?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2016, 04:59 AM
RE: Was my response to theist too harsh?
(03-05-2016 04:24 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Show that emotion is not both causal and the effect of chemical changes in the brain then say all I'd strictly material. The conscience and emotion are not material and are the most real things in existence.

All the evidence points to consciousness being an emergent property of the physical brain. There are no examples of emotion, conscience, or consciousness that are not tied to a physical substrate.

If you want to assert that some supernatural agency is required you need to provide evidence for that assertion. Without it you just sound like an idiot.

Quote:In fact absolutely nothing is strictly material at the sub atomic level.

That's the spirit. Dig the idiot hole a little deeper. What do you think 'material' means?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
03-05-2016, 06:43 AM
(03-05-2016 04:24 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(02-05-2016 09:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, they are. Perception occurs in the brain. The brain is material.

This is not difficult if you shed your imaginary bullshit and look at reality.
Show that emotion is not both causal and the effect of chemical changes in the brain then say all I'd strictly material. The conscience and emotion are not material and are the most real things in existence. In fact absolutely nothing is strictly material at the sub atomic level.

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.

If what you say is true then hallucinogens, antidepressants, hormones and anti psychotics shouldn't work on emotions but they do, we are a bag of chemicals suspended in water a higher primate, nothing more, no creator god required.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
03-05-2016, 09:41 AM
*looks into his crystal ball*

I see...i see.....someone is going to invoke quantum physics, and.....and...and he will have ab-so-fucking-lutely have no clue what hes gonna talk about......demonstrably so.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 4 users Like Deesse23's post
03-05-2016, 10:30 AM
(03-05-2016 09:41 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  *looks into his crystal ball*

I see...i see.....someone is going to invoke quantum physics, and.....and...and he will have ab-so-fucking-lutely have no clue what hes gonna talk about......demonstrably so.

Quantum indeterminancy=god.

And yes, there was a theist on this forum that posited exactly that. Facepalm

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
04-05-2016, 11:53 AM
(03-05-2016 06:43 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 04:24 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Show that emotion is not both causal and the effect of chemical changes in the brain then say all I'd strictly material. The conscience and emotion are not material and are the most real things in existence. In fact absolutely nothing is strictly material at the sub atomic level.

If what you say is true then hallucinogens, antidepressants, hormones and anti psychotics shouldn't work on emotions but they do, we are a bag of chemicals suspended in water a higher primate, nothing more, no creator god required.
Not so. Emotions cause changes in chemical balances, and changes in chemical balances cause emotions. There for drugs that affect the chemical balance also affect emotions to some extent.

04-05-2016, 12:18 PM
(04-05-2016 11:53 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Not so. Emotions cause changes in chemical balances, and changes in chemical balances cause emotions. There for drugs that affect the chemical balance also affect emotions to some extent.

Please demonstrate the existence of emotions apart from those "chemical changes".

Emotions are our labels for various brain states. There is no evidence that they have any sort of independent existence which they would need for your statement to be true. Once again, you have no clue what you are talking about.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
04-05-2016, 12:19 PM
*Waves*

Hello Pops! Smile

Okay. ....... what is the mechanism of/for 'emotions' to change chemical balances?

What is an 'emotion'?

What do you think a 'chemical balance' (Or imbalance) is?

Best of luck to you and yours. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
04-05-2016, 03:18 PM
(04-05-2016 11:53 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 06:43 AM)adey67 Wrote:  If what you say is true then hallucinogens, antidepressants, hormones and anti psychotics shouldn't work on emotions but they do, we are a bag of chemicals suspended in water a higher primate, nothing more, no creator god required.
Not so. Emotions cause changes in chemical balances, and changes in chemical balances cause emotions. There for drugs that affect the chemical balance also affect emotions to some extent.

If emotions are not material as you say, then they shouldn't be affected by chemical balance's, you cannot change the goalposts.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
04-05-2016, 03:31 PM
(01-05-2016 10:53 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(30-04-2016 11:07 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What do you get when you mix a kaboodle and a cazoodle? .... a clubuttle!!

Symbols, labels, and words used the way you convey them provide no manner of efficient communication for any purpose but trolling. You're mr. negativity always bringing bad and evil across all interactions you have with this manner of speaking.
Yes it was negative.

Like in kind to most posts directed at me, and as such obviously wrong and not beneficial to any.

I'm realizing something here.. you really don't think humor is beneficial to anyone? Because the negativity at you is often quite a lot of great humor to several.

If so, you talk about others limits but you out so many up yourself because you seem to easily conclude knowledge in mistake of unconfirmable hunches

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-05-2016, 03:39 PM
(03-05-2016 04:24 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(02-05-2016 09:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, they are. Perception occurs in the brain. The brain is material.

This is not difficult if you shed your imaginary bullshit and look at reality.
Show that emotion is not both causal

Meaning what?

Quote:and the effect of chemical changes in the brain

All of the evidence says it is.

Quote:then say all I'd strictly material. The conscience and emotion are not material

Please provide evidence to support your bald assertion.

Quote:and are the most real things in existence.

No, they are just emergent properties of brains. And all of the evidence from neuroscience supports that.

Quote:In fact absolutely nothing is strictly material at the sub atomic level.

That is a meaningless statement and shows an utter lack of understanding of physics.

Quote:Faith in selfless Unity for Good.

Oh, shut up. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post