Was my response to theist too harsh?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2016, 11:13 AM
RE: Was my response to theist too harsh?
(22-04-2016 01:01 AM)stcomza Wrote:  No matter how I tried explaining my view, she kept on pointing out that I had no proof.
She walked away when I asked her about hindu children.....Smile

I would have reminded the tart religious bitch that Jesus in the bible instructs that women should remain at the back of the church with their mouths shut.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2016, 12:24 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2016 12:29 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(22-04-2016 05:02 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  It's funny that the type of folks here who argued that we don't know whether other animals have contemplated their existence, where they came from, seem to confidently assert that infants lack a belief.

Shouldn't we just be lacking a belief as to whether they do or do not believe in God/s, for the sake of being consistent.

Infants lack a theory of mind. Children before the age of 4 are generally unable to grasp the concept of that there exists other minds that have access to knowledge they do not. We know this, because we can test for it. Our great ape cousins also lack a theory of the mind; for as much sign language as some of them have learned, they have never once asked a question. So if 3 year old children are unable to grasp the concept that other people have access to information they do not (i.e. those people have their own minds), just how are they supposed to accurately conceptualize anything remotely close to a god; a concept that many theists describe as a supernatural disembodied mind?

So how about you shut the fuck up before you show yourself to be an even more ignorant asshole than you evidently already are?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
22-04-2016, 01:16 PM
I don't think your response was harsh at all, it's simply the truth. If a child born in India get's brought up thinking that Krishna is real and Brahma is the creator of all existence and a child born in the US is raised to believe Jesus is real and Yahweh created everything how is that any different? Clearly both babies had to be told what to believe at some point, they weren't born that way seeking their God.

What may sound harsh to theists is saying something like "You know Heaven isn't real, there's no reason to believe we go anywhere after our brains die so you'll never see your dearly departed loved ones ever again." Something like that is is still true but it's more emotional for them and also unnecessary, a belief in an afterlife isn't necessarily tied to a religion or a God belief and they are often intertwined but once it comes down to the question of God then simply stating "There is no God." isn't any more harsh than saying "There is a God." Also indoctrination is a real thing, there is no debating that, children and even adults need to be told what this God is and how much he loves you to truly believe in it, we are not born just believing it.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
22-04-2016, 01:42 PM
(22-04-2016 01:01 AM)stcomza Wrote:  So, last night I got blasted by a very religious old lady for saying that children are born atheists. She jumped halfway into a conversation I had with someone else and was not privy to the basis of our discussion...

If anything, you weren't nearly harsh enough. If I had been in that conversation I would have run up one side of her and down the other, mocked her beliefs without surcease, slandered the Holy Spook, wished all kinds of interesting religion-based nightmares upon her, and called her out for being a coward who let Jesus take the fall for her instead of taking responsibility for her own life.

She got off light, IMO.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post
22-04-2016, 03:49 PM
(22-04-2016 01:01 AM)stcomza Wrote:  So, last night I got blasted by a very religious old lady for saying that children are born atheists.
Am I wrong? Dodgy

Yes, I believe you are wrong. Children are neither believers nor atheists.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
22-04-2016, 04:00 PM
(22-04-2016 03:49 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(22-04-2016 01:01 AM)stcomza Wrote:  So, last night I got blasted by a very religious old lady for saying that children are born atheists.
Am I wrong? Dodgy

Technically if you lack belief, you're an atheist. So if babies aren't theist, they are necessarily atheist.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
22-04-2016, 04:07 PM
(22-04-2016 03:49 PM)Alla Wrote:  
Am I wrong? Dodgy

If they don't believe in god then they are by definition atheists, so your wrong as per usual.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
22-04-2016, 04:16 PM
(22-04-2016 04:00 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(22-04-2016 03:49 PM)Alla Wrote:  Yes, I believe you are wrong. Children are neither believers nor atheists.

Technically if you lack belief, you're an atheist. So if babies aren't theist, they are necessarily atheist.

I have to admit that I'm on Alla's side here. If anyone or anything that lacks belief is an atheist, then you have to include dogs, bacteria, rocks, etc. Technically, all of these (as well as babies) may be atheists, but then it's a rather empty concept. For the word to have any meaning, there has to be an alternative. For me, an atheist is someone who is aware of the concept of God and does not believe it. If you're not even aware of the concept, being an "atheist" is meaningless. And babies are not aware of any "God" concept. They are neither believers nor atheists. I have always considered the "born an atheist" viewpoint to be silly.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
22-04-2016, 04:27 PM
(22-04-2016 04:00 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(22-04-2016 03:49 PM)Alla Wrote:  Yes, I believe you are wrong. Children are neither believers nor atheists.

If you lack of unbelief in God/gods you are not an atheist. Let me know if I am wrong.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
22-04-2016, 04:45 PM
(22-04-2016 04:27 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(22-04-2016 04:00 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Technically if you lack belief, you're an atheist. So if babies aren't theist, they are necessarily atheist.
If you lack of unbelief in God/gods you are not an atheist. Let me know if I am wrong.

When you get done with the senseless double negatives -- you come to the conclusion that an atheist is a person who doesn't believe in any deity..........

And there isn't an infant on the planet who does....................

Belief in the invisible sky daddy isn't innate -- regardless of how much you'd like it to be.........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post