Was the Bible even intended to be used by us?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2016, 02:23 PM
Was the Bible even intended to be used by us?
I think the Bible says that the gospel is supposed to be preached to all the world, but what about the Bible as a whole?

We always have to look back to the Greek and Hebrew. We have to look at the context for different stuff. Especially Paul's letters. Ugh. Some people say how 40 days and 40 nights was an old figure of speech. Seriously? I wonder if the Bible was even supposed to go on to Gentiles or last this long. I know the early Christians expected Jesus to come back very soon. Now it's almost 2000 years later. Blink

I dunno. What do you guys think? Was the Bible meant to be read thousands of years on? Why wouldn't God come and make a modern Bible for us?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2016, 02:39 PM
RE: Was the Bible even intended to be used by us?
No, of course not, apologists would have you believe that reading chicken entrails (hermeneutics) is the way to discern biblical truth. It's just a con job, a way of saying that you shouldn't criticize the bible and you're ignorant for doing so because you lack understanding.

If the god that supposedly "inspired" the bible made it impossible to "truly" understand, then that god is quite the idiot if it couldn't realize that a book is a horrible way to communicate anything. It gets even worse when you supposedly reveal this to a small tribe in an obscure part of the world in a minority language that almost no one knows.

You don't need a thorough knowledge of an ancient language to realize when you're being conned.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
30-04-2016, 05:22 PM
(30-04-2016 02:23 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I think the Bible says that the gospel is supposed to be preached to all the world, but what about the Bible as a whole?

We always have to look back to the Greek and Hebrew. We have to look at the context for different stuff. Especially Paul's letters. Ugh. Some people say how 40 days and 40 nights was an old figure of speech. Seriously? I wonder if the Bible was even supposed to go on to Gentiles or last this long. I know the early Christians expected Jesus to come back very soon. Now it's almost 2000 years later. Blink

I dunno. What do you guys think? Was the Bible meant to be read thousands of years on? Why wouldn't God come and make a modern Bible for us?

My people wrote the bible (at least the part known as the 'old testament'.) It was intended as an internal document, never to be transmitted to Gentiles. The Greeks stole it, and the Christians got it from the Greeks.

So no, it was not intended to be used outside of the Jewish community.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
30-04-2016, 05:42 PM
I'm pretty sure the original texts that formed the NT were only supposed to be used to preach to Jews to convince them their messiah had arrived to shepard them to the promised land. Even early Christian churches had no way of printing or distributing the Bible so only hand written copies were given to clergy and they had to preach directly to the people from the pulpit and even those early versions were written in Latin which was a language most people couldn't speak, only someone trained in seminary would be able to read it.

Later on after the printing press was invented the Bible could be read by more people, of course it ended up getting translated, edited, translated some more, edited some more, even mistranslated. The Bible is so full of immoral and unscientific nonsense it's pretty obvious why church leaders didn't want the everyday people to see it, without them having to explain it.

It's also no wonder once more people got their hands on a copy the church started to split into more denominations and now has over 30,000. If it was at all a clear and concise re-telling of the life and works of Yahweh and Jesus there would be only one denomination but once you give people the power to interpret the verses for themselves there is no telling what they will do with it

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
30-04-2016, 06:08 PM
The book as a whole was thrown together by groups of different people, mostly the Catholics and during the Roman Empire days of different writings from completely random people spanning hundreds and hundreds of years, all much later than the times they actually wrote about.

None of it was ever meant to be put together at all. Hence the many conflicts and such. It is literally several dozen racist, xenophobic, woman hating, homophobic genocidal, slavers who wrote about a deity they thought existed in order to use that to control the few people they had around them and then someone picked it up later on and thought it was true because why wouldn't it be since someone wrote it down on paper and then made a book out of all of them.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
30-04-2016, 06:20 PM
I still think that the Bible is a satire. It has to be. That's the only way that it makes sense.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
30-04-2016, 06:28 PM
Doesn't the secrecy of the whole thing make it painfully obvious how bullshit it is?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
30-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Bart Erhman is a very good source for info on the bible and it's formation. He has some lectures and debates on youtube, but his books should be required reading. Especially "Misquoting Jesus", "Forged" and his critique of the "Gospel of Judas".

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
30-04-2016, 07:45 PM
The editors and assemblers of the texts, that LATER were non-unanimously voted into the various canons that came to be called "Ta Biblia" had no idea how they would be used some day.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
30-04-2016, 09:10 PM
(30-04-2016 02:23 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Why wouldn't God come and make a modern Bible for us?

He did. It calls BOOK OF MORMON. It is ANOTHER Testament of Jesus Christ.
Book of Mormon was written for us. For our times, our generations.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED