Was the Bible even intended to be used by us?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2016, 07:06 AM
RE: Was the Bible even intended to be used by us?
They didn't understand their books(scriptures).

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2016, 07:10 AM
(03-05-2016 07:06 AM)Alla Wrote:  They didn't understand their books(scriptures).
Or they actually do.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
03-05-2016, 07:11 AM
(03-05-2016 07:06 AM)Alla Wrote:  They didn't understand their books(scriptures).

In Jewish belief, God gave them those scriptures. You don't think they'd understand their own scriptures?

Also, Jesus, as described in the Christian Bible, doesn't even fulfill messianic prophecy.
[+] 1 user Likes CosmicRaven's post
03-05-2016, 07:27 AM
(03-05-2016 07:11 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Also, Jesus, as described in the Christian Bible, doesn't even fulfill messianic prophecy.

The Old Testament prophesies that the Messiah would suffer and die to atone for sins. One example of this kind of prophesy is Isaiah 53. Jesus did fulfill these prophecies.

It also prophesies that the Messiah will set up a kingdom that will rule the entire world. Jesus will fulfill these prophesies when he returned.

The Jews didn't recognize Jesus as their Messiah because they focused on the prophecies of his ruling and overlooked the prophecies of his suffering and death.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2016, 07:34 AM
(03-05-2016 07:27 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 07:11 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Also, Jesus, as described in the Christian Bible, doesn't even fulfill messianic prophecy.

The Old Testament prophesies that the Messiah would suffer and die to atone for sins. One example of this kind of prophesy is Isaiah 53. Jesus did fulfill these prophecies.

It also prophesies that the Messiah will set up a kingdom that will rule the entire world. Jesus will fulfill these prophesies when he returned.

The Jews didn't recognize Jesus as their Messiah because they focused on the prophecies of his ruling and overlooked the prophecies of his suffering and death. interpreted their own scriptures correctly.

Fixed it for ya. Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
03-05-2016, 07:43 AM

The Jews didn't recognize Jesus as their Messiah because they focused on the prophecies of his ruling and overlooked the prophecies of his suffering and death.
He already returned.. so where is the kingdom?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
03-05-2016, 08:03 AM
(03-05-2016 07:27 AM)theophilus Wrote:  The Old Testament prophesies that the Messiah would suffer and die to atone for sins. One example of this kind of prophesy is Isaiah 53. Jesus did fulfill these prophecies.

The messiah spoken of in the old testament was a leader who was supposed to overthrow the countries oppressing the Jews. It had nothing to do with atonement or forgiveness of sins.

Isaiah 53 does not refer to jesus. It refers to the nation of Israel.

How about this one:
Quote:Isaiah 13:19
And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the beauty of the Chaldees' excellency, shall be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah.
Isaiah 13:20
It shall never be inhabited, neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation: neither shall the Arabian pitch tent there; neither shall the shepherds make their fold there.

The city-state of Babylon has been destroyed and rebuilt many times. It has never been abandoned or uninhabited and exists today.

Or King David's unending line and kingdom?

Or the mistranslation of "almah" as "virgin" instead of simply "young woman"?

(03-05-2016 07:27 AM)theophilus Wrote:  It also prophesies that the Messiah will set up a kingdom that will rule the entire world. Jesus will fulfill these prophesies when he returned.

Yeah, within a generation. Until that didn't happen.

(03-05-2016 07:27 AM)theophilus Wrote:  The Jews didn't recognize Jesus as their Messiah because they focused on the prophecies of his ruling and overlooked the prophecies of his suffering and death.

There were no prophecies of the messiah's death. The Jews gave up on jesus when he was arrested by the Romans and crucified as an insurgent. Since the messiah was supposed to be a military leader and king, obviously jesus couldn't be the prophesied messiah.

Entire books have been written on the failed prophesies within the bible.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
03-05-2016, 08:04 AM

Actually, Isaiah 53 is not a messianic prophecy. If I'm understanding correctly, it's meant to be a poetic text talking about the Jewish nation. Isaiah 53 is talking about a suffering servant. Israel is described as God's servant.
Isaiah 49:3 Wrote:He said to me, “You are my servant,
Israel, in whom I will display my splendor.”
Isaiah 44:21 Wrote:Remember these things, O Jacob, and Israel, for you are my servant; I formed you; you are my servant; O Israel, you will not be forgotten by me.
These are just a couple examples.

-If I remember correctly, their scriptures do not mention a Messiah dying and being resurrected. Nor does it say that he'll fulfill more prophecies after being resurrected.
-Also, it doesn't say that the Messiah will be a saviour.
[+] 3 users Like CosmicRaven's post
03-05-2016, 08:17 AM
CosmicRaven Wrote:In Jewish belief, God gave them those scriptures. You don't think they'd understand their own scriptures?
Of course, they understood and understand something in their scriptures. But they also don't understand many things. Isn't it very human thing? There is something we understand correctly but something we don't understand.
Those who have AUTHORITY from God to WRITE the scriptures have THE GIFT from God to INTERPRET them correctly.
Jews didn't have and still do not have authority to write the scriptures, so, they teach their own interpretations. Mortals misunderstand many, many things.
CosmisRaven Wrote:Also, Jesus, as described in the Christian Bible, doesn't even fulfill messianic prophecy.
Jews were rejecting and killing their prophets long before Jesus was born. They were teaching their own interpretations of the scriptures for a long time.
While Jews didn't have prophets they made up many things. For example, they made up a doctrine that their God is "infinite God" and that He created space and time. NO PROPHET of their God taught such thing.
They misunderstood God's word about Messiah.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
03-05-2016, 08:25 AM
(03-05-2016 08:17 AM)Alla Wrote:  Those who have AUTHORITY from God to WRITE the scriptures have THE GIFT from God to INTERPRET them correctly.
Jews Joseph Smith didn't have and still do not have authority to write the scriptures, so, they Mormons teach their own interpretations. Mortals Mormons misunderstand many, many things.

Jews Mormons were rejecting and killing their prophets everyone that got in their way long before Jesus was born. They were teaching their own interpretations of the scriptures for a long time.
While Jews Mormons didn't have prophets they made up many things.

They Mormons misunderstood God's word about Messiah. everything.

Fixed it for ya!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post